Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #1

Ideas for bike rack placement

I keep going over in my head ways to keep my bikes safe while towing and I am looking for advice. Previously I had a hitch on the back of my trailer but being 35' long you would be amazed at how much the bikes bounce back there. Currently I have them on the front of my f350 which isn't too bad except in the dark as they block "some" of my headlights. I don't want to put them in my bed as my trailer does not have much storage so the bed of my truck is already filled when we go on long trips. I was thinking about building my own headache rack that the side rails run the length of my bed and weld a 2 inch receiver tube about 3" above the bed cover and put my rack in there. I don't think height will be an issue, I will still be lower than a 5th wheel. Does anyone have any insight before I buy a couple hundred dollars worth of steel and spend a weekend welding. Are there any other ideas I can try before I go this route?

The truck is a 2018 F350 CCSB and the trailer is a 2018 flagstaff 30wtbsv, if anyone has any good Ideas let me know.
Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Team

There are a number of 5th wheel pinbox bike mounts.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #3

It's not a 5th wheel I was just saying the height would be no more than a 5th wheel. My trailer is a v nose bumper pull so I can't even put the rack above the propane tanks.
Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

I cobbled something together that sounds like a variation of what you're thinking. It's a traditional roof rack style setup attached across the bed using 'artificial rain gutters.' Thought I had a better picture but you can make out the rails over the truck bed.

I leave the gutters on all the time and mount up the crossbars and bike retainers when we travel.

Works well, but does have its drawbacks. I can't get the tri-fold cover open with everything mounted and, obviously, can't pack the bed higher than the closed cover. However, with some pre-planning and some rolling totes in the bed, it all works out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-09 08.21.09.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	592.9 KB
ID:	206672  
2023 nights camped - 28
2022 nights camped - 33
chewie37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie37 View Post
I cobbled something together that sounds like a variation of what you're thinking. It's a traditional roof rack style setup attached across the bed using 'artificial rain gutters.' Thought I had a better picture but you can make out the rails over the truck bed.

I leave the gutters on all the time and mount up the crossbars and bike retainers when we travel.

Works well, but does have its drawbacks. I can't get the tri-fold cover open with everything mounted and, obviously, can't pack the bed higher than the closed cover. However, with some pre-planning and some rolling totes in the bed, it all works out.
I was thinking about this, but my logic is we are going up to Maine for a week and a half mostly to ride bikes. I really don't know if I feel like climbing up and down so many times a day just to put the bikes on and off the rack. The way I am thinking I would just un-mount the hitch rack once the trailer is set up and put it in the normal receiver.

Just in case I do go your route though, you said it was just the vinyl gutter on the bed rails and the rack attaches to that nicely? Is it very secure?
Old 06-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

I really wish I had a picture with the bikes mounted - the visual is so much better than my wordy descriptions. . .

The artificial gutters are sort of c-channel shaped with the open end facing outboard. You slide them on to your bed rail and there's bolts that go in from underneath to clamp it to the rail. Once attached, there's a vertical lip on the outboard edge that provides the 'gutter' for the crossbar tower to attach to.

The fore/aft bike rail is pretty standard. Front wheel goes in a hoop and there's a (locking) swinging clamping bar that attaches to the lower frame rail of the bike. Rear wheel just sits in the trough and both wheels have a velcro tie strap as well. I had to hunt around a bit to find crossbars that were long enough to go across the bed though.

No climbing up/down required (at least not for me.) I just lift and load the bikes from either side, clamp/strap them in and good to go. Very secure in transit so far.

I didn't feel like spending crazy money (relatively) so didn't spring for locking towers. But the bikes are only up there long enough to get from A to B. As soon as we arrive they come down and get locked to the trailer frame.
2023 nights camped - 28
2022 nights camped - 33
chewie37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie37 View Post
I really wish I had a picture with the bikes mounted - the visual is so much better than my wordy descriptions. . .

The artificial gutters are sort of c-channel shaped with the open end facing outboard. You slide them on to your bed rail and there's bolts that go in from underneath to clamp it to the rail. Once attached, there's a vertical lip on the outboard edge that provides the 'gutter' for the crossbar tower to attach to.

The fore/aft bike rail is pretty standard. Front wheel goes in a hoop and there's a (locking) swinging clamping bar that attaches to the lower frame rail of the bike. Rear wheel just sits in the trough and both wheels have a velcro tie strap as well. I had to hunt around a bit to find crossbars that were long enough to go across the bed though.

No climbing up/down required (at least not for me.) I just lift and load the bikes from either side, clamp/strap them in and good to go. Very secure in transit so far.

I didn't feel like spending crazy money (relatively) so didn't spring for locking towers. But the bikes are only up there long enough to get from A to B. As soon as we arrive they come down and get locked to the trailer frame.
I think I get it now, I was thinking the plastic rain gutters from home Depot.

My truck is a 2018 f350 with the heavy service suspension, so even though I'm 6' tall the top of my shoulders are about even with the top of the bed. I also have 3 full size bikes and a weehoo bike trailer so climbing would be inevitable.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
Always Learning

First, neat idea on the truck bed. I like it.

Alternatively, what about a Bike Bunk for over the tongue of the trailer?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #9

My son just bought a vertical system that mounts over the propane tanks. It accepts his standard 4-bike rack that he inserts into the truck tow connection when not pulling a trailer. They love it! I don't know the brand name but he found it on line.
Summer Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #10
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

X2

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

V nose trailer, those racks don't work.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:33 AM   #12

What about inside the trailer on the bed?
Old 06-08-2019, 04:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Florida View Post
What about inside the trailer on the bed?
Inside the trailer there are slides, not much room for anything else and my wife finds a way to fill what area is left. Inside the bed I have all my outside stuff like my stabilizer jack pads leveling blocks chairs patio rugs and my general tote of just going down the road stuff like tie downs recovery straps and jumper cables.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:13 AM   #14

I have fork mounts mounted to the underside of the bench seats.

I remove the cushions, drop the table, and flip the seat boards and instant bike rack. Plus it keeps the bikes secure and out of the weather while traveling.

Just another option...

WNY_Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY_Clipper View Post

I remove the cushions, drop the table, and flip the seat boards and instant bike rack. Plus it keeps the bikes secure and out of the weather while traveling.

Just another option...

Brilliant!
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY_Clipper View Post

Just another option...

Looks great, but our mountain bikes get a bit too dirty for the kitchen table. If they were road bikes I would think about it.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #17

I understand if you don't want to add 3 feet of bikes to the end of a 35 foot trailer. However if your only concern is them bouncing around and the strength of you bumper, I added Safety Struts from Mount N Lock. Further details of my install are here. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=158562
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Schumaker View Post
V nose trailer, those racks don't work.
Works fine on mine.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
Works fine on mine.
Mine has almost no useable frame in front of the nose as that is where the battery is located. Can you post a pic? I am actually very interested in this.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #20

Ideas for bike rack placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Schumaker View Post
Mine has almost no useable frame in front of the nose as that is where the battery is located. Can you post a pic? I am actually very interested in this.
Did i misunderstand the trailer type? I do not know how to attach pics. It just asks for a url. Dunno, help?

Tags
bike, bike rack