Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

Ideas on a drop in air filter (reusable)

So I hit 20,000 miles the over day and the air filter was ALL crudded up. It is supposed to last until 45,000 miles. It was $50 or so for a new one so I am thinking of getting a reusable one. I have always had KN filters, the 1500 had a cold air intake that I liked.

I am leaning towards a drop in over an intake, just because I do not think the truck needs anything else in the world of power.

Looking at either the tried and true KN or an AFE Pro 7 filter. Both are around $80.

I do like the S&B Cold air however, have heard lots of good things about it. Let me know what you all think.. And if any of you ACTUALLY use one of these. thanks.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
So I hit 20,000 miles the over day and the air filter was ALL crudded up. It is supposed to last until 45,000 miles. It was $50 or so for a new one so I am thinking of getting a reusable one. I have always had KN filters, the 1500 had a cold air intake that I liked.

I am leaning towards a drop in over an intake, just because I do not think the truck needs anything else in the world of power.

Looking at either the tried and true KN or an AFE Pro 7 filter. Both are around $80.

I do like the S&B Cold air however, have heard lots of good things about it. Let me know what you all think.. And if any of you ACTUALLY use one of these. thanks.
Every Diesel site has a lot of comments against using K&N for a Diesel. Good for gas, but they do pass more dust. Your money your call. Also on gassers, watch the amount of oil applied to filter when you clean them as oil has been know to affect the Mass Air Sensor.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #3

I use an aFe filter........ 100 times better quality than the K&N set up that was on the truck when I bought it.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #4

You can't be serious about the mileage right? It's all about the air you drive in. Out here in the west, they get dirty faster because of dust in the air. I check my filters on every oil change. 20,000 miles is a lot if you ask me. I have had K&N filters before and could feel grit in the intake tube. I think I would shy away from them...YMMV
Old 06-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #5

Sorry Doc but just because it states it will last 45,000 miles doesn't mean it will , manufacturer doesn't know what kind of driving conditions you are in . Like the old Fram commercials said " you can pay me now or pay me later" Air filters are alot cheaper than scored up cylinders. I have always had good usage from K&N drop ins.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Sorry Doc but just because it states it will last 45,000 miles doesn't mean it will , manufacturer doesn't know what kind of driving conditions you are in . Like the old Fram commercials said " you can pay me now or pay me later" Air filters are alot cheaper than scored up cylinders. I have always had good usage from K&N drop ins.
I get that, I guess I was shocked that I got less than half the mileage. I use to get well above this on the 1500 but then again it was not a vacuum cleaner into the intake. It had all sorts of leaves, bugs, those helicopter seed things. My cabin air filter was even worse.. Just made sense to me to use a cleanable filter, less waste and, well, cheaper in the 300,000 mile life.

As to the KN I had heard that and was thinking that. But of coarse for every no there is a yes... BUT that is why I was looking at the AFE Dry filters (Pro s) or the oiled filter (Pro 7). I guess it is still oiled so I guess it COULD do the same as a KN but who knows. From my understanding the oiling issue was people using TO MUCH oil. But I am no rocket surgeon.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I use an aFe filter........ 100 times better quality than the K&N set up that was on the truck when I bought it.............

Is it the oiled ones or the dry ones?

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #8

hidee ho

Hello, I used a Vararam cold air intake on our 2012 Ram 1500 and really liked the sound and did notice more of a throttle response. However, mine only lasted less that a year before it started to fall apart and contaminate the throttle body. We took it off and put the stock air box back on and I am now using the AFE dry filter drop in. Cost me 39 bucks on Amazon and I am amazed at well it works. By the seat of my pants I have not noticed a change in throttle response, mileage or power compared to the Vararam. Here in dusty northern Arizona I will clean it every 5000 miles or so.
The Dodge Ram forum I frequent has several good threads on cold air intakes, filters, etc. that might be of interest to you.
The throttle response lag on our Rams is a product of the fly by wire setup. I installed a Sprint Throttle Booster at the gas pedal which gives you the ability to adjust that throttle response to instantaneous and that has been one of the best things I did to this truck. A little pricey and there are others on the market but for what it does well worth it.
But to digress, you may be pleasantly surprised at how effective the AFE drop in filter is.
Good luck!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #9

I have 30K miles on my stock filter and it still looks clean. I am considering a intake system by K&N but is it worth the $300+? Never heard that K&N was bad for a diesel. I will definitely check that out.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:33 AM   #10

AFE Pro Dry

I put an AFE Pro Dry filter in our 2015 Solera at about 5500 miles. At a little over 10,000 I had what I would describe as a limp mode day, No turbo off the line and struggling to make 40MPH, I had no check engine or other warning displayed. The next day it went to Mercedes and appeared to be running fine on the way there. The Mechanics found no codes but told me my AFE was 73% plugged. They removed it and replaced it with a factory paper filter. I asked for the AFE back and When I got home I examined it and while not clean it didn't look that bad, then I took the "plugged" filter and had no problem feeling a moderate puff of breath on the other side of the filter? Mercedes strongly advised to only use factory paper filters and suggested that the aftermarket filter basically operated outside the parameters of the Stock sensors and computer as the likely cause of the malfunction...
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #11

Too bad

I don't know, but it sounds like your dealer just wanted to sell you a filter (no offense intended toward your dealer, that's just what they all do). I hope you get it all working right and Happy Camping!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

All is working good, thank you for the well wishes.

I did find the stock filter on amazon for $20 so it is better than their $50 if I stick with the stock filter. Might try the AFE Dry.. Not sure yet. I am shocked there are not more people with a working opinion. I do see how it might not filter "as well". If something flows more freely as ALL the after market filters say they do than my guess they must have larger filter "holes" to let that flow through...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post

K&N also has a pre-filter for dusty conditions. Whatever brand you go with, I would get a spare so when one is dirty you can replace it while the other is being cleaned and dried.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #14
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah I was gonna keep the stock one around for that purpose. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB