Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #1

If I buy off on the tire changeout discussion....

....I've talked to y'all, the factory, the dealer, and every other manufacturer's user group. I've been talked to about tires from every source you can imagine. Guys who have 'towed for 45 years', guys who have 'had every nightmare', guys who say 'all those guys are crazy, things are ok'.

Fine.

I do not want to get into another discussion about tires. BUT, here's a question for you. Don't go rabbit hunting, just this one question.......

I'm about to order a Cedar Creek 36CKTS. It comes with Westlake E rated 16" tires.

IF (note that word, ok?)..........IF I were to decide to upgrade/change to GY 114's and a steel rim, tell me......in specifics.......exactly where you'd buy such things, and the exact model of tire AND rim you'd buy.

I need model numbers, SKU numbers, specifics........and at least one source. Cause my Google skills are apparently limited, I can't find 'em anywhere.

Help?

Thanks!

BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #2

Also, telling me 17.5" tires is not enough info.

I need the full description/size..........235/R70-17.5? 215/R60-17.5? 245......well you get my point.

If anyone has actually made this conversion, I'd love to talk to you.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
Always Learning

If I buy off on the tire changeout discussion....

I swapped from 235/80R16 to 17.5" tires. I believe this screenshot of my invoice should give you all of the details that you need. I purchased from Trailer Tire & Wheels (www.trailertireandwheels.com).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457236732.455077.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	101167
Old 03-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I swapped from 235/80R16 to 17.5" tires. I believe this screenshot of my invoice should give you all of the details that you need. I purchased from Trailer Tire & Wheels (www.trailertireandwheels.com).

Attachment 101167
HAHA. It might if I wasn't 67 1/2 years old!!! I can't see that, not at all.

I did find that website after I posted this. But it's the only one I can find!! What the heck?

And does the invoice (that I can't see) list the specific tire and wheel size?
Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
....I've talked to y'all, the factory, the dealer, and every other manufacturer's user group. I've been talked to about tires from every source you can imagine. Guys who have 'towed for 45 years', guys who have 'had every nightmare', guys who say 'all those guys are crazy, things are ok'.

Fine.

I do not want to get into another discussion about tires. BUT, here's a question for you. Don't go rabbit hunting, just this one question.......

I'm about to order a Cedar Creek 36CKTS. It comes with Westlake E rated 16" tires.

IF (note that word, ok?)..........IF I were to decide to upgrade/change to GY 114's and a steel rim, tell me......in specifics.......exactly where you'd buy such things, and the exact model of tire AND rim you'd buy.

I need model numbers, SKU numbers, specifics........and at least one source. Cause my Google skills are apparently limited, I can't find 'em anywhere.

Help?

Thanks!

Not to be combative with you but how do you know that the tires are "E" rated?

I have a 2016, 34RL Cedar Creek with ST235/85R16 Load Range "G"14PR tire. The actual numbers for the load range are 129/125L :4080 LBS @110 PSI, See attached pictures of my spare tire. The trailer was bought new from the factory in April 2015.

I have put close to 10,000 miles on these tires to date with no issues and plan on using them all of this year (2016). I will than upgrade to another new tire either using the same Westlake tire or find a Goodyear/Michelin tire when I buy new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0517.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	101182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0516.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	101183  
Old 03-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #6

I did find this one..........IF this is correct, nod your head.

Heavy-Duty LT Truck-Trailer Tire & Rim at Trailer Parts Superstore

Looks like there are two.......painted white, and painted silver. Both are $398.00 each with rims included. No mention if they are aluminum or steel rims.

Stock # 1619040 (supplies limited)
or
Stock # 1619038 (white)

Will those just fit right on, and bolt on? I notice the both require flanged nuts.

Is that the one(s)???

$398.00
Stock # 1619038
$398.00
$398.00
Old 03-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Not to be combative with you but how do you know that the tires are "E" rated?

I have a 2016, 34RL Cedar Creek with ST235/85R16 Load Range "G"14PR tire. The actual numbers for the load range are 129/125L :4080 LBS @110 PSI, See attached pictures of my spare tire. The trailer was bought new from the factory in April 2015.

I have put close to 10,000 miles on these tires to date with no issues and plan on using them all of this year (2016). I will than upgrade to another new tire either using the same Westlake tire or find a Goodyear/Michelin tire when I buy new.
Because I've talked directly to the dealer and the factory, and that's what comes on that model.

I believe.........it was around April of last year that they discontinued the Goodyear tires at the CC factory........per the warranty manager there.

And......I don't know I'm going to switch out day 1. But I want to know the + and -, and I want to know the exact tire/wheel and a good source to acquire.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:

I did find that website after I posted this. But it's the only one I can find!! What the heck?

Ha. I thought you'd be able to click it and zoom in. But basically, it's a 215/75R17.5 tire. Specifically, I bought the Continental HTL Eco2 tire.

The wheels are actually the same maker and model as the factory wheels (Sumec Lynx Silver) - just in a different size.

The only other place that offers the 17.5" trailer wheels for RVers is Rickson Tire out of Maryland.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #9

There are dozens of trailer tire dealers online. Pick one, call them and discuss your situation. 7K or higher rated axles get the 17.5 inch tire and wheel package that suits your preference. If you go with the GoodLucks youll be stuck to one brand only.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #10

Thanks. I haven't found dozens. I couldn't find any, so I posted a request for help.

I then found one, and someone above found another.

I'm usually a Fair Googler! Guess I suck at tire searches, though. And there's a ton of discussion on this stuff here.........but danged little that says exactly the right hole pattern rim, whether you have to change rims at all, whether steel or aluminum rims are required, and this is the first I've seen the actual tire size, LT215/75R-1.5".

Maybe I missed all that somewhere else........if so, I apologize.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #11

Quote:

Click on the link to see the large version of the picture

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...7&d=1457236735

Bruce
Old 03-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #12

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #13

Heavy-Duty LT Truck-Trailer Tire & Rim at Trailer Parts Superstore

Here is one oprion
Old 03-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #14

I have the same wheels as Jim34RL I believe. At least they look the same.

110 psi rated and I had the dealer install 614s at $325/tire plus installation. But they gave me $60/tire credit for the stock E tires. So far, I love the 614s.

I say this only because I don't understand the desire to go to 17.5 wheels and tires.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post

I say this only because I don't understand the desire to go to 17.5 wheels and tires.
The big advantage going to 17.5 inch wheels is, a wide choice of tires, not stuck to one brand. Also a higher load and speed rating.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Thanks. I haven't found dozens. I couldn't find any, so I posted a request for help.

I then found one, and someone above found another.

I'm usually a Fair Googler! Guess I suck at tire searches, though. And there's a ton of discussion on this stuff here.........but danged little that says exactly the right hole pattern rim, whether you have to change rims at all, whether steel or aluminum rims are required, and this is the first I've seen the actual tire size, LT215/75R-1.5".

Maybe I missed all that somewhere else........if so, I apologize.

I strongly recommend that you call Heather at Rickson. I knew nothing other than I had heard that 17.5" were good for heavy fivers and I called her. She answered all of my questions and more.

Heather Knutson
Technical Sales Manager
Rickson Truck Wheels
1-800-587-7633
Direct: 410-630-4109
www.ricksontruckwheels.com
Old 03-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #17

Quote:

Fine.

Help?

Thanks!

I thought I recognized the name Westlake. I'd never, ever have another Chinese tire on any vehicle I won. I purchased a Forest River Cardinal that came with Chinese tires and three of them blew out within 300 miles. Those were imported by Cooper tires, a US company as is Westlake BUT that makes one think the tire they are purchasing is a US tires.

Read this partial review from Cars Direct "
Brands of Tires to Avoid at All Costs

In recent years, many Chinese tire manufacturers have come under attack for making substandard and unsafe tires available for sale in the United States. Furthermore, some Chinese manufacturers have been the subject of forced recalls by many state Attorney Generals and the Federal Trade Commission. While there are many variations of Chinese import tires that have come under attack, companies that have been the subject of forced government recalls include:
  • Westlake Tires
  • AKS Tires
  • Telluride tires
  • Compass Tires
All of these brands of cheap tires are made by the China-based Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company; furthermore, it is alleged that these tires lack even the most basic of safety features such as gum strips which are a rubber feature that helps prevent steel belts inside the tire from separating or damaging the rubber."

I would suggest that you DO check the recall record on these tires. It's pretty easy to do. The steel belts on the Chinese tires I had also separated.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #18

I come from a SOB (Keystone) crowd that many full time or long time in. Seldom do any go with 17.5 rims. The ones with the heavier fivers 38' - 41' use their stock 8 lug aluminum wheels that are rated to 110# per Tredit (wheel manufacturer). These people slap Goodyear G614's on ... never looking back or regretting the cash outlay. My fivers have not been heavy enough to go to the G614's nor do I have any connection to Goodyear. That being said, I would run on bare rims before I ran GY Marabombs on a 12K+ fiver. G614's and Marabombs are two entirely different species.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #19

Trying to keep up here:

Manufacturer says Westlake is plenty good, as do many users........check.

Others? No Chinese tires of any kind........check.

No Goodyear Marathons..........check.

Goodyear G614's G-rated ok at 16" rims.............check.

Goodyear G114's H-rated better, on 17.5" rims (if they fit the axle)........check.

Other brands 17.5" wheels and tires, ok for some.............check.

Consensus on exactly what to do and how serious the issue is..........NO CHECK!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #20

Suposidly bad chinaese tires dissapered years ago, and hopefully FRis using good tires. what ever tires you choose put on a set of TPM by Great Products, they save some damage to your rig, ive had them 2 yrs and a 36 TKTS, enjoy the rig we do!
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire