Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersfan View Post
The biggest problem with the weight police... is that someone may chime in about weight when nobody asked them to. Nobody goes and ridicules them for using a dually to tow a tent trailer, so the same crowd needs to learn to bite their tongues when they see a pickup at its max. Sure, mock a guy that fits a 5th wheel hitch to the trunk lid of a K car and then hauls a 12000 pound mammoth... but when it's apparent that common sense is still in play, it's best left alone.
Hey, that was me!

But seriously, the one reason that I chime in here is that many of our member base are new and may not be aware that they're over the limits of their vehicle. Some may care, some may not care - but what's the hurt in helping them learn?

(I do not subscribe to the doom and gloom theory of being overweight. But, I do subscribe to being within a vehicles ratings or, at least, being aware of them and knowingly exceeding them if you so choose.)

Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
The biggest problem with the weight police... is that someone may chime in about weight when nobody asked them to. Nobody goes and ridicules them for using a dually to tow a tent trailer, so the same crowd needs to learn to bite their tongues when they see a pickup at its max. Sure, mock a guy that fits a 5th wheel hitch to the trunk lid of a K car and then hauls a 12000 pound mammoth... but when it's apparent that common sense is still in play, it's best left alone.
Very well put ridersfan. The weight police here are fast to jump on anyone that violates a lawyer sticker and says absolutely nothing if a 1-1/2T dually tows a 10,000lb 5er 75-80 mph because they are safe with a BIG truck. LMAO at the idiocy.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #23
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Very well put ridersfan. The weight police here are fast to jump on anyone that violates a lawyer sticker and says absolutely nothing if a 1-1/2T dually tows a 10,000lb 5er 75-80 mph because they are safe with a BIG truck. LMAO at the idiocy.
Sigh, not sure name calling is needed (re: "idiocy"). Irony, maybe. But anyway...

You obviously aren't reading the same forums that I am. I regularly see comments when people say they're towing over 65 about the tire ratings. Just read one today (turns out the OP had LT tires that *were* rated for 75mph). But, they're out there.

But you just go ahead and stick your head in the sand, reading what fits your fancy to make your side of the argument.

And with that, my work day is done and I have July 4th festivities. Good day, y'all.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #24
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Sigh, not sure name calling is needed (re: "idiocy"). Irony, maybe. But anyway...

You obviously aren't reading the same forums that I am. I regularly see comments when people say they're towing over 65 about the tire ratings. Just read one today (turns out the OP had LT tires that *were* rated for 75mph). But, they're out there.

But you just go ahead and stick your head in the sand, reading what fits your fancy to make your side of the argument.

And with that, my work day is done and I have July 4th festivities. Good day, y'all.
In fact, it wasn't FRF, but another forum where I learned of the speed ratings on tires. My first tow with the pop-up above and my old Durango (which I was likely overloaded when my family traveled) - I ran 70-75mph to keep up with traffic. I got chastised on a forum after that trip and did some research and learned about the tire's limitations.

Yes, Virginia - there is a Santa and some people do learn and change their ways based on what they read on forums. Just not many of us...
Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Hey, that was me!
Haha! I wasn't trying to call any individual out... but you just made my day with that picture!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Sigh, not sure name calling is needed (re: "idiocy")...
No one was name calling, just describing the responses or lack there of.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Haha! I wasn't trying to call any individual out... but you just made my day with that picture!
I ended up buying a hitch with 11" of drop to get the camper to tow level:

That was my last camping trip in the pop-up before I sold it to my step-bro and his wife. And, just a month before we ordered our fifth wheel.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #28
Fulltime family RVer

Oh, and mocked I was! At home, by friends on Facebook, at the stops I made, at the campground... Oh yes, it was a good time.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Hey, that rig is good for a trip down the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #30

Quote:

X2