Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #41

Talking Slow down

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Are U.S drivers clueless? I would suspect a lot are judging by what I read on forums and see in CG's. Also isn't there a 55mph speed limit over there when towing? People tow 60-70mph over here. Would you want some goofball 1st timer towing 6,000lbs with a Kia Sedona running 65-70mph?
You are so right, we don't like going over 60 with ours. Things just happen to fast. We were heading home form Bar Harbor Maine( 9 hour drive)and this Pick up with a 5th wheel went flying by us, they must have been doing 70 to 75. Guess where he was farther down the road. In the ditch on his side both the truck and the trailer. We just hoped that no one was serious hurt. People need to realize that towing something like this and driving at a safe speed is not something to take lightly. Its not just your life a crash can effect!!!! Hey we have a Sednoa!!!! LOL

2001 Lincoln Navigator All Wheel drive
Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #42
Incheon, S. Korea

Fiver and TV on a flatbed

It all scares me. I'm similar to old coot, towing since '77 (15+ years old) and have seen some crazy stuff. I should say stupid, but I don't want anyone to think I am talking about a particular person.
Being from the Los Angeles area, speeds of trailers were amazing. I had an '82 Suzuki GS1100E that had the wonderful 85 MPH speedo, and it was almost always near 85 on So. Cal. freeways. Getting passed by a trailer at those speeds tells you how fast they were going!
This is what I worry about. Does anyone know where or how this happened?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #43

That doesn't look good. Hope all is well. Could it have been a fellow forum member?
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Old 07-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #44

Look at where that flatbed is from, that pretty much explains it.
I have driven through the Dallas to San Anton corridor, and the drivers are simply stupid. This poor guy probably got caught up in something not of his own making.
We just came back from a 3000 mile trip to northwest Wyoming, and I didn't see any campers speeding. In fact, I don't think I saw even one doing the speed limit of 75.
The vast majority of camper accidents are caused by anything but speed, so the speed police can drop it.
I am much more worried about the over-loaded campers, those who don't have the proper equipment, or don't maintain things like tire pressure. They are the real problem, no matter how slow they drive.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #45
Mod free 5er

IMO, the slow driving doesn't cause the accidents, but those that speed are the ones that have the accidents by blowouts and not being able to take evasive action to avoid something. Never heard of a camper wrecking at slow speed. I don't condone driving 20-30 under the speed limit anymore than driving 10-15 over. Those that overload are just tearing up their own equipment, not mine and they don't scare me at all as I'm not riding in their vehicle. Alcohol & speed cause the majority of the accidents.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #46

It must be a great burden to be right all of the time.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #47

For your reading pleasure.

The 6 Most Common Causes of Automobile Crashes

http://rvtravel.com/publish/Insuranc...ccidents.shtml
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Old 07-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #48
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
It must be a great burden to be right all of the time.
No one is claiming to be right all the time, we here in the US of A have the freedom to express our opinions. You may not agree with mine and I might not agree with yours, but it doesn't require snide comments either. I'm outta here! Enjoy camping!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #49
Incheon, S. Korea

Coot - It is a great burden, isn't it? You have to tolerate all those that think they know, but really don't! LOL
I wish I could sit around a campfire with you and talk. I can only imagine the stories you could tell...
Until then, stick to your guns!
BB
Old 07-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #50

Happy Independence Day!! Today let us celebrate the incredible freedoms that we have as Americans. Especially the freedom to freely express our opinions anywhere including forums like this. And agree that others can express their opinions. And do so peacefully. Happy July 4th!!!

Closed Thread