Old 01-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

I have been a pilot for years and was taught to read the preflight checklist every time. Even though one is comfortable, read and follow the checklist. Same goes for an RV.

Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #12

Good habits are good to get into as well, like a checklist and walk around before leaving and every stop.

We have out checklist and hook up procedure in a one note document so we both have it on our phones.

08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

X2 on everything said.
  • Do it yourself and don't trust anyone else to hitch to your rig.
  • Use the proper equipment for your rig (right size ball, bars, pin, etc.)
  • Follow a checklist.
  • Double-check the checklist.
  • Check your hitch while stopped for breaks.
  • Ask the chatty-cathy in the site next to you to give you a moment of peace while you work (said in a nice way, of course).
I would also add that I find it useful to make sure that I fully understand how and why a particular hitch works. Installing it yourself (with manuals) is a good start to that.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #14

You must be mistaken about the right equipment for your rig, according to the dealership the one they have in stock is the correct one...
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonman View Post
You must be mistaken about the right equipment for your rig, according to the dealership the one they have in stock is the correct one...
Too true.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #16

I read the article and saw a safety pin was not used. I said to myself what is a safety pin, was going to ask but read the posts, I see it is on the hitch latch. I have been towing for 30 years and never heard the pin as safety. I have always had a lock in the hole and always though of it for security, so someone could not steal my trailer. Now that I think about it, I can see that it is also a safety device.
I pulled out my Flagstaff owner manual. I could not find any reference to the pin. They talk about the Safety Chains but nothing about the pin. Also the manual says per law that the chains are to be crossed to trap the hitch so it can not hit the ground. My chains come from a single point on the trailer so there is no way to cross them to trap the tongue. I will have to check ( when the weather get warmer) if the chains are short enough to keep the tongue from hitting the ground. I am guessing they are not, but it is the way it came from the factory.
Just food for thought.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
I will have to check ( when the weather get warmer) if the chains are short enough to keep the tongue from hitting the ground. I am guessing they are not, but it is the way it came from the factory.
Just food for thought.
If the chains are too long, just twist a few times before attaching to TV to shorten.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
I now check all the pins for the equalizer after every gas/rest stop in addition to making sure all the hitch locks are still operational. We hitched up properly, made all our checks, and when were half way through to Myrtle beach from Ontario after a gas stop I noticed that the clip/pin for one of the Equalizer's L bar was missing. Now those never ever come out on their own and I am %100 sure it was installed properly.

Thus the need to check the whole hitch after every stop right before starting to drive ....
This is a really good idea. You're out, you need a little stretch, why not take a little safety "walk around". Hitch, tires and don't overlook the TV. Just a good visual to notice if anything looks out of place.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #19

That is a sad story, I remember it on the news a while back... if memory serves the girl driving didn't hitch it up and had little experience. She's devastated.

I personally always recheck after stops in a busy area in case someone messed with anything before pulling away.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
Site Team

And another suggestion - use a locking hitch pin.

When I first got a camper, a walk around at a rest stop revealed a missing pin on my rig. A quick look around and I found two kids who were busy removing pins and valve caps "for fun".

I still do the walk around after all these years and still shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't done one then.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, trailer