Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
I special ordered our F-150 with the HD Package and the Max Tow Package. It had MORE payload than our F-250 did. It beat it by about 350 lbs.

I would guess that the WDH system is not set up properly and perhaps the trailer is back heavy.
So have you towed with the new F150 the same load as with the F250? I have considered that too, but the rating isnt really the issue IMO when it comes to the F150. The F250 is still a lot heavier, more mass to help control the trailer. What is your experience between the 2?
gone: 2013 F150, standard Tow
2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Propride hitch
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #22

The F-150 and F-250 and even F-350 will feel different when towing. The underpinnings of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks just give you a more solid feel. The F-150 will have the tow rating for your trailer, but the heavier trucks will just feel more solid going down the road. Towing that is a good thing, no trailer attached and you can feel the extra stiffness which is not the best of rides.
Delnari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #23

I was/am in the same situation. While my sway is certainly not "horrible" it does not perform great in the wind, and its always windy. Doing research both here and other places, the top upgrades for handling were:

suspension upgrade us at Roadmaster active springs
LT rating tires/increase PSI
Hellwig sway bar in the back

While I was about ready to install the roadmaster and hellwig, I decided to rerun the numbers on the TT/TV combo.

I am within 100 lbs of my max payload for my truck (1760 lbs) when loaded. The load within the cab will only increase as kids grow, if grand parents go with us, etc. This also depends how much is in the bed of the truck. My estimate assumes some firewood, our cooler, kayaks, etc. Add more firewood or another cooler (which we have done) and we are probably over just us.

Adding the upgrades will probably weigh about 100 lbs alone, thus putting me over the rating. At the end of the day I have an upgraded, maxed out F150 and KNOW my numbers will still increase. I have decided to get an F250 in a few months and not only have plenty of flexibility on numbers, but I am hoping the stability issue is resolved.
gone: 2013 F150, standard Tow
2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Propride hitch
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by davechamp View Post
Purchased a new F150 with ecoboost turbo and HD tow package. Sales person said it could tow 13,500 lbs. New Tt is 30' Wildcat. Sway and handling is very bad. WDH AND SWAY control seems to be adjusted correct? Is this F150 enough truck for this trailer. Power is great but handling is very bad. Anything can be done or installed for this issue.?
We are gonna be upgrading our tow vehicle soon and I've been doing my research. Our tt is 24ft young to rear and 7500 lbs gross weight. I'm going 3/4 ton. The length of your tt is gonna be the prob with that f150 from what I've been researching. When trucks go by you especially.
fredoe61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #25
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
First, don't think the F150 has a HD tow package.
It has the standard tow package or the Max Tow package.
You can get the HD Payload package though, on some models.
Second, what is the truck's payload capacity?
Third, what WDH system do you have and do you have pics of the combo?
Fourth, are the tires P series or LT series and what psi are you running them at?

Lastly, NEVER believe what comes out of a salesperson's mouth. Always verify on your own.
You'll always run out payload capacity before ever coming near the 13,500lbs max and that number is ONLY for specifically spec'd F150s.

By the way, folks, the OP appears to have a Toyhauler, even though it's not listed in their profile. How they have it loaded may be the cause of their issues. Could be light on tongue weight.
^^ This.

Sorry to hear they are in this predicament.

They need to take it to a CAT weigh scale and find out how much it actually weighs, fully loaded. Only then will they (and you) know what they’re dealing with and have an idea what they need to do. Unless that F-150 has the HD PAYLOAD package, I strongly suspect a 3/4 ton or maybe even a 1 ton will be needed. If the actual weight is around 9000# as you said, IMHO a 3/4 ton is the proper towing vehicle. A gas engine will be fine. Again, IMHO, a Diesel engine only becomes necessary as you go much above 11,000# or if you tow in the mountains or full time.

Here is a calculator for calculating weights.
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

Here are instructions for how to use the CAT scales for a travel trailer.
How to Weigh a Travel Trailer | Learn To RV

Both pages are by FRF member Ependydad.

Make sure that the truck and trailer are fully loaded with all camping gear and passengers and a full tank of gas before weighing.

If they are well overweight, no tire or suspension improvements will cure the problem.

Good luck!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #26

A Hensley would eliminate any sway/handling issues.
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
A Hensley would eliminate any sway/handling issues.
A Hensley isn't a cure-all for a over-loaded tow vehicle.
Plus they're much heavier than other brands of WDHs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #28

OP probably doesn't have the HDPP option if the sales guy needed to change the tires to LT type. The F150 HDPP comes OEM with LT tires.
Not sure if the trucks got the 5.5", 6.5" bed Scab or Screw.

"One of the biggest differences with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine for 2018 is the max trailer towing package. For 2018, Ford's half-ton has the highest maximum towing capacity in its class, now at 13,200 pounds, up 1,000 pounds from last year. To get that, you need a SuperCab (extended cab), on a 141.1-inch wheelbase, with two-wheel drive, and the max trailer towing package. The package comes with a 3.55:1 electronic locking rear axle, 36-gallon fuel tank, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, Class IV hitch receiver, 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness, and upgraded front stabilizer bar and rear bumper. Also included are the Pro Trailer Backup Assist, integrated trailer brake controller and a smart trailer tow connector."

Nothing really all that usable except for the bigger front roll bar. The rest are just conveniences that help with setup or the like.

The HDPP is needed big time for 9,000 lbs IMO.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #29

“The HDPP is needed big time for 9,000 lbs IMO.”

Towing handling and stability isn’t dictated by a payload rating alone. The HDPP optioned truck still has the same gvw and wheelbase as the high GCWR Max tow trucks. There’s nothing about the HDPP that changes the towing dynamics. What really matters is how the tongue weight effects TV handling and the characteristics of the trailer itself.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyhd View Post
“The HDPP is needed big time for 9,000 lbs IMO.”

Towing handling and stability isn’t dictated by a payload rating alone. The HDPP optioned truck still has the same gvw and wheelbase as the high GCWR Max tow trucks. There’s nothing about the HDPP that changes the towing dynamics. What really matters is how the tongue weight effects TV handling and the characteristics of the trailer itself.
There's plenty that changes the dynamics.
RAWR 4800. GVWR 7850. Thicker frame on HDPP. LT tires. Beefier springs and leafs.
No 5.5" beds with the HDPP. Only 8' reg cab. 8' Scab. 6.5" Screw.

So no the Max Tow isn't the same as the HDPP.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #31

Again comparing the 18,400 GCWR MT f150 to the 17,100 GCWR HDPP f150. If you have both trucks in the same cab configuration loaded the same way at the same gvw (not exceeding MT GVWR), towing the same trailer the stability and handling will be close to the same. If you take the HDPP truck and increase its load to its GVWR, it’s ability to tow is reduced just as is shown Ford’s Towing Guide ratings. The 4800 RAWR and 7850 GVWR help it carry more load, that little bit extra vertical and torsional stiffness doesn’t necessarily equate to less sway or better handling. Since the wheelbase, bed, and cab are the same, the increased load on the HDPP rear axle at RAWR reduces understeer (handling)even further then the MT truck at it’s RAWR. The same tongue weight effects both trucks axle loads by the same amount, which is what dictates handling. I personally having high standards and wouldn’t put more than 850lbs of tongue weight on either of them or any other half ton for that matter. I’d draw the line at 1,200 pounds for any 3/4 or 1 ton towing a conventional travel trailer even though one may have a higher payload. This is based on how the TW effects TV handling (understeer and WDH requirements) which is based on TV mass, and front to rear unladen axle loads. The above applies to towing conventional RV travel trailers, not fifthwheel trailers or other various trailer types.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:15 AM   #32

Good sway bar and WD hitch will eliminate sway. You might need to upgrade tires but new truck not needed.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Purchased a new F150 with ecoboost turbo and HD tow package. Sales person said it could tow 13,500 lbs.

First.......go slap the _____ out of that sales guy. He lied horribly.

(I once pulled a 20K pound wagon full of gravel with a Mitsubishi Mighty Max 4-banger.......about 80 feet)

"Pulling" is one thing......safely towing hither and yon is another.

What to do............you need to discuss face-to-face with a professional.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #34

sway Solved

BEFORE you change tires that might be ok for now. Do these two things. Make sure you weigh the tongue weight loaded is heavy enough,and get an Equalizer brand hitch. There id no adjustments for sway it takes care of it all perfectly. Boom Done.
mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #35

I'm going to work tomorrow. But my kenworth tractor is not running, so I think I will pull my 53 foot dry van with f150 , should I put a lot of air in the tires ? I'm sure it will pull it , BUT will it ever stop . Yep as soon as I hit something. [emoji6][emoji6]
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Purchased a new F150 with ecoboost turbo and HD tow package. Sales person said it could tow 13,500 lbs. New Tt is 30' Wildcat. Sway and handling is very bad. WDH AND SWAY control seems to be adjusted correct? Is this F150 enough truck for this trailer. Power is great but handling is very bad. Anything can be done or installed for this issue.?
Inspect the tires and INSURE you are running the proper air pressure AS PER the door jam!

Is your hitch weight with in the Ford parameters?

If you truck has a anti roll (sway bar) the upgrade to a Hellwig Big Wig bar.

You might want to consider rear Rancho RS 9000 XL shocks

A good quality hitch would be a great benefit.

ALL that said: If you are having a swaying issue it generally has it's origin in the trailer it's self. Your trailer is rear end heavy, that is the cause, you can mitigate with doing the above but it does not cure the problem. What do you have in the rear (of your axles) holding tanks full, gear loaded on the inside etc. Somehow you have unbalanced your TT.

I would weigh your hitch and compare it to the recommended hitch weight.

You best bet is to fix the issue and make the modifications as above to insure you have a safety envelope large enough to defend against your swing and sway with Sammy Kaye TT...
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #37

I had a similar issue with my 2015 F 150. I switched to LT tires and installed the Timbren suspension system. Very easy to install and corrected the problem.
Kwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #38

True, I added the Hellwig rear sway bar, makes a huge difference. Also I added Air bags, helps level and put weight on the front tires. I have a 2011 F150 SuperCrew 2wd, towing 7k 29ft WildWood
Wildhood37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:14 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
I'm going to work tomorrow. But my kenworth tractor is not running, so I think I will pull my 53 foot dry van with f150 , should I put a lot of air in the tires ? I'm sure it will pull it , BUT will it ever stop . Yep as soon as I hit something. [emoji6][emoji6]
I did not know you can get a f 150 with air brakes and setup with a air line for trailers?

bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I did not know you can get a f 150 with air brakes and setup with a air line for trailers?

Must come on the "Mad-Max" Tow package!
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150