Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #1

Improving mpg

Hello All,

I’m looking for the best sites for after market performance/gas saving mods for my 1997 Dodge 2500 v10. ie cold air intake, electric cooling fan replacement to the stock fan.
I’ve looked at a couple sites with aftermarket fans, but how do I know how to size the replacement fan?
I’ve seen various fan configurations, single & dual fans, 3-5-7 blade & different cfm. One would think just go with the fan with the most cfm but is there such a thing a too much fan?

Any other proven mods anyone has done that “really” improved their mpg.

thanks
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Adding an electric fan will not improve mileage on newer vehicles that already have a fan clutch. May even hurt mileage while towing. Think about this: The pulleys are spinning, hence you have mechanical energy, so bolting a fan to them is a simple. Now remove fan, and add electric fan. Now you have to take the mechanical energy of the spinning pulley, convert to electrical energy via alternator, send this to a motor to make mechanical energy to spin the fan. Add up all the losses and it takes more power. Save your money on the fan, cold air intake, and all the other mods out there that don't really do anything, and buy gas. Today's engines are computer controlled, and it takes a certain amount of fuel for given load and rpm and you can't do much about it. By the way, the colder the air, the more, so a cold air intake doesn't help mileage. Others will argue, spend your money wisely.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

go to dodgetalk.com and join it. Lots of very knowledgeable people there that can offer advice specific to your truck. IMO stay away from a CAI if you tow as they are very loud and the gains are not easily seen in mileage. You will probably find there is not alot you can do to increase mileage when towing other than a more aero trailer. Electric fans do help hp when they are not running as they only run when needed, but with that big old V10 come on you don't need more hp..

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that these mods will likely have little to no effect. For sure, the cost of them will far exceed any miniscule benefit. Want better gas mileage? The best idea is to slow down. Seriously. We tow a 5,000 pound Surveyor behind our F150. I tow at 60 mph, mostly in overdrive, and average 11 mpg on our extended trips. I've experimented with 55 mph and can get close to 12 mpg. It all depends on your patience and how big a hurry you are in.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I agree that these mods will likely have little to no effect. For sure, the cost of them will far exceed any miniscule benefit. Want better gas mileage? The best idea is to slow down. Seriously. We tow a 5,000 pound Surveyor behind our F150. I tow at 60 mph, mostly in overdrive, and average 11 mpg on our extended trips. I've experimented with 55 mph and can get close to 12 mpg. It all depends on your patience and how big a hurry you are in.
I agree with Bob. And easy on both pedals. The brake pedal has a lot to do with mileage......anytime you lose momentum, you gotta get your speed back. Drive way ahead for potential slowdowns, and start slowing down immediately if something is spotted. Most times by the time you get there, the traffic is already moving, and you don't lose much momentum. The same thing for traffic lites.......time them as best you can.

On the mountains around here, I try not to use the brakes going up hill (for that next curve), or use the gas going down, because I will just have to brake that much harder on the next downhill curve. Too many times someone flies past me going up hill, and then you see the brake lights come on for the next curve.

I get similar mileage to acadianbob, and am happy with that compared to some mileages on RV forums.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #6

Thanks all for your input.
Points well taken.

I normally tow in NE PA Pocono area & having to fork out $100 bucks a trip for gas is not a big issue.
If it was I would have never got rid of the popup 10 yrs ago.

My dilemma will be in Dec when we make the trek down RT95 to FL with our 39’ 2010 Sierra 5er.
I hate to have to stop every 100-150 miles to gas up. That will roughly equate to more than 10 stops.
Adding a secondary tank in the bed would help but the added weight would probably negate the benefit of the extra gas.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
camping

the above posts are correct, by the time you change the exhaust, intakes etc you don't save all that much. figure the gain in mileage and do the math. I looked into all that "stuff" and decided to leave everything stock. i figured at best from what the after market parts manufactures were saying I might get 10% gain (checked with my mechanic guru also). thats about 1 mile extra per gallon of gas.
9 mpg / 1000 miles = 111 gallons (current mpg)
10 mpg / 1000 miles = 100 gallons (about a 10% gain)
11 more gallons to go 1000 miles = 25-30 dollars more
I drive 7000 miles per year (about 3500 towing) and the cost I figured would be about 1200.00 for all I needed, it would take about 5-6 years to break even. I hope by then I will have a newer truck.
When we went on our 2800 mile trip I had to stop every 180 to 200 miles to fill up. was not to bad, we get a quick bathroom break and stretch the legs.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Save on gas

Act like us old folks, keep your foot out of the carb. I have found that around 60-65 is the best gas mileage for my f-150.
By the time you purchase all the equipment (extra gas tank, cool air induction etc) just slow down and enjoy the ride in the slow lane, you will get there and save petro.

Sid & hrh daisy
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Dave is coming to florida

DAVE, I LIVE IN FLORIDA (JACKSONVILLE) DRIVE SLOWER WHEN COMING DOWN. BRING LOTS OF $$$$$$ WITH YOU. WHEN YOU CROSS THE STATE LINE FROM GEORGIA INTO FLORIDA, THERE IS A SIGN THAT SAYS
"KEEP FLORIDA GREEN" THAT TRANSLATES TO BRING LOTS OF $$$$$$$.

GAS IS CHEAP (WELL PRETTY CHEAP) HERE (2.49 PER GAL) RIGHT NOW AND I HEAR BY THE TIME YOU GET HERE IT WILL BE EVEN CHEAPER. JUST GAS UP IN GEORGIA (ABOUT MID WAY) FOR IT IS CHEAPER THERE.

WE HAVE PLENTY OF OIL IN THE GULF, IF THE PRESIDENT WILL STAY OUT OF IT, MAYBE BP WILL REFINE PLENTY FOR YOU.

SID & HRH DAISY
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote