Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Then how can my truck have the exact same sticker number (1,761) as the truck sitting next to it on the lot. But, my truck had the factory trailer hitch and the 5.7 Hemi engine and the other truck did not have a trailer hitch and had the smaller (and lighter) Pentastar V6 engine. The stickers on both were identical.
Can't argue there, but it may be unique to Dodge. When I was looking for my F250, I looked at the stickers on four 6.2 gassers on the lot. They each had a different payload limit due to differences in trim level. In fact, two different weights were only due to one truck having the off-road pkg that added skid plates. It had a lower payload as you would expect.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post

The only way you can get the REAL payload is to take your truck to a CAT scale.
Agree, only accurate way to know.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #23

Door stickers are supposed to be unique... not sure what to say about the Dodges matching.

The CAT scale suggestion is spot-on. You will be amazed at how much more you weigh. Little things really add up fast. From hitch upgrades, to a couple of tools under the seat, you get heavy in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #24

By the way Ford does not count the driver before payload according to the manual. Other than that you might want to get TV weight with people and hitch. Usually TT tongue is somewhere around 10% of TT total approximately 650 to 750 (adds to your payload), you might want to visit a CAT scale.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #25

Thanks everyone for your responses. First, let me thank you for being easy on me with your input...sometimes I've seen those take a downward turn.

Lots for us to consider and take into account which we are doing. Following your suggestion, we will be taking it to the CAT scales tomorrow with our passengers and mostly loaded. I'll post again when we do and see what thoughts are then.

Thanks again!
crystaldmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #26

I don't know if others have noticed but unlike your usual 150, 1500 with an 8cyl he is using the new 6cyl 3.0 Eco Diesel. I don't know if that has any bearing on the discussion?

BTW: I have it in my 2014 JGC and it's awesome, tows my 30' camper with no problem but I still use my F350 to tow it when on trips.

@crystaldmm: Have you had any problems with the DEF or catalytic converter?
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #27

@dea49: We haven't noticed any performance issues yet. Have traveled locally (FL) and when we bought the travel and drive empty and with only two passengers from KY to FL. Is there something in particular we might should be looking for?
crystaldmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #28

There have been a plethora of problems with the '14 with everything involved with the DEF through the catalytic converter. It would get so bad that vehicles would give a warning and shut down before reaching your destination. They appear to have fixed it with the '15 and '16 but there are some that have experienced problems anyway. It is so bad that Jeep has offered to buy back mine. You can visit message boards on the eco-diesel that will outline what to keep an eye out for.

BTW: Never fill the DEF completely full unless you're going through a lot of it. Just fill it to the halfway point each time and check the date on the box before using. Anything older than 6 months I wouldn't use.

Good luck.
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldmm View Post
...2 1/2 month summer cross country trip.
Wow! You must be teachers, with the summer off.
Quote:
...Specifics:

TV is a 2105 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab 4 x 2, 5'7" bed, 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel, 3.55 rear axle ratio, with Max Trailer Weight Rating of 7,870 pounds. Per the Towing Chart: GVWR is 6950, Payload is 1540

TT is a 2016 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26DBH with dry weight of 5757 pounds.

Passengers=1200 lbs
1200 lbs!?! Just people weight!? In a pickup?!?!
Are you sure about that number, or does that include luggage and other items?
If that 1200 lbs included luggage, forget that. Put the luggage in the camper, and include only the actual people-weight in the truck.

That 1200 would have to come off of the 1540 payload rating, leaving you only 340 lbs for tongue weight. 5757 dry trailer. We typically say 1000 over dry for estimated loaded weight. But lets say you are conservative (don't tow with water...buy groceries when needed) and call it 6600 loaded estimate. Using the bare minimum 10% TW is already 660 lbs. You are 320 lbs over payload capacity, and you haven't even put anything in the bed of the pickup yet. So hopefully that 1200 should be at least 320 lbs lower, by adding up actual people-weight.

Bottom line:
I think you can handle the camper. 6600 lbs vs 7870 MAX rating.
But it seems you have a combined weight problem brewing that would surface in the payload. Look up your GCVWR. Subtract the 6600 lbs estimated loaded trailer. Subtract the empty weight of the truck (when you find or measure it). This will tell you have much actual capacity you have left for driver, passengers, and cargo in or on the truck.

Quote:
We do have a Reese WD bar and are willing to consider additional things (like airbag assist or suggestions?) if needed.
Airbags and other suspension mods do nothing to increase towing or weight carrying capacity. They are comfort modifications for vehicles that are already within their limits. Do not rely on such things to correct a problem.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote