Old 02-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Carozzoni View Post
I installed a Blue Ox base plate on a 2015 Ford Focus Titanium. It was very easy and all I needed was a T30 Torx, a push pin remover (much easier than a flat blade screw driver), and a couple of sockets (mostly 10MM). Blue Ox claims 3-4 hours for an experienced installer. I had never done it before, I worked slow and methodical, and it took me about 6 hours total (about 2 hours 3 days in a row). The hardest part was drilling an access hole through the front metal bumper which is spring steel. I watched several E-Trailer videos which helped a lot. However, E-Trailer didn't post a video with clear details how to drill through the front bumper (i.e. slow and lots of pressure for spring steel - and it will take a while) until AFTER I installed it (actually about a week after). I ruined at least 4 holes saws trying to drill fast and slight pressure with oil, but Wal-Mart sells them cheap.

Note: Prior to 2015 Focus, Blue Ox had you drill from the front where I did and everyone else recommends (i.e. Road Master and Demco), but for the 2015 Focus Blue Ox changed the location to drill the access hole on top of the frame which is not spring steel - in hind sight I now know why. If I had to do it again, I'd follow in the instructions ;o)

One bit of advice I would give is to download the instructions for Blue Ox, Road Master, Demco, and anyone else you'd consider. Study each installation to find one which requires the last modification of the car. For the 2015 Focus, it was Blue Ox. I'd also recommend going with a tow bar from the same manufacturer to avoid using adapter plates which is simply another area of possible failure (and cost).
"One bit of advice I would give is to download the instructions for Blue Ox, Road Master, Demco, and anyone else you'd consider. Study each installation to find one which requires the last modification of the car."

+1 I used a combination of Blue Ox and Road Master for the disassembly of the car, really helped to have 2 slightly different methods.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #12

My BIL and myself did the BlueOX on his HHR ,jacking up and placing all the jack stands plus all the HOT drill shaving made a very interesting project! It was a LOT more disassembly than what we expected! Youroo!!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #13

Installed the Blue Ox on my 2010 Jeep Liberty last year. Overall, it looked intimidating at the least. But, after getting a general idea of what it takes, just watch the video and take it one single step at a time. This is where my engineering mentality gets in the way. I am too much of a perfectionist for my own good. It took me two days to install...probably three times what it should have taken. But, even at that, one simple step at a time. You'll be so glad you did it yourself when you find out what it would cost to have someone else do it.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #14
Fulltime in our Berkshire

Again, thanks to all who replied !!

It does look intimidating on the video, but the good news is that I do not have to drill any holes. It's just a matter of being able to get to the various screws and bolts that have to be removed (and put back when done). I would love to be able to do it on a lift like they have in the video, but I'll just have to keep the advil bottle close for the back aches that will ensue

We were blessed with 60+ degrees yesterday and I was able to take the new Colorado in to Ziebart for a Rhino liner in the bed. Now I can concentrate on putting the new bulbs and wiring in the tail lights and waiting for some warmer weather again to put the base plate on.

In pricing the installation of the base plate, it averaged around $1000.00 and leaving the truck with them for two days. I have no other car to drive around so that is out anyway (I don't like leaving anything I have with strangers - especially items that cost as much as trucks and motor homes).

So, thanks again to all. I may even take some videos of it, and if it comes out okay, post it to youtube.

Ken
Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Air Force View Post
I have installed Blue ox and Roadmaster base plates on different vehicles. I found the Roadmaster are a much easier and faster installation. They require less modifications and hole drilling. From here on I will only use Roadmaster Base Plates.
I have used and installed roadmaster base plates on 2 jeeps that I tow . very simple and only about 2 hours total,,,,,
Old 02-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #16

The Base plate we installed said nothing about Drilling holes either,but in order to install it we had to Remove 2 bolts that the plate didnt have holes to clear as well as drill 2 more in the frame support! Surprise,Surprise! Youroo!!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The Base plate we installed said nothing about Drilling holes either,but in order to install it we had to Remove 2 bolts that the plate didnt have holes to clear as well as drill 2 more in the frame support! Surprise,Surprise! Youroo!!
What brand base plate and what vehicle ?

Thanks
Home is Where we park it
Old 02-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #18

Didn't like the only one offered for my vehicle on the market.
So I made my own...
Lots of cutting, hacking, welding, drilling...

Old 02-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #19

Very nice.

Sure wish I had talent
Home is Where we park it
Old 02-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #20

I have installed two in the last year. One on my 2015 Explorer and one on my dad's 2009 Saturn Vue. I did the same thing worrying after watching the videos but it isn't too bad. I did have to notch the front frame flairs on both of them. I used a jig saw with a metal blade on the Ford and an angle grinder on the Saturn. I also just replaced all the plastic clips on my dad's car because they were old and it was easier to break them to get them off then struggle trying to save $10 in clips. My car had 500 miles on it when I took it apart. That freaked me out a little, but it went smooth and we have pulled it for about 6,000 mikes since last April. We have never had a single problem. Easy on and off and you don't even know it's back there. I am pulling it behind a gas V10 too and not a giant Diesel pusher. It has been from Florida to Ohio through the mountains with no issues. Good luck.