Old 02-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Fulltime in our Berkshire

Installing a base plate

I have purchased a blue ox base plate.

I have been watching the installation videos on etrailer and it looks a little intimidating.

Has anyone here done a base plate install?

If so,was it intimidating as it looks?

Thanks,
Ken

Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

We've been looking at trading our C-Max for a Colorado/Canyon.
The etrailer video for the Colorado looks MUCH easer than their video for the Cmax and that was a fairly easy DIY.
Took me 3 days total,
1&1/2 for the baseplate 1&1/2 for lights, charger, brakes etc.
I took my time, only messed up once, the instructions say put the car back together in the reverse order that you take it apart... ooppss I TRIED to put the fascia on from right to left for a couple of hours only took :15 left to right

Old 02-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
We've been looking at trading our C-Max for a Colorado/Canyon.
The etrailer video for the Colorado looks MUCH easer than their video for the Cmax and that was a fairly easy DIY.
Took me 3 days total,
1&1/2 for the baseplate 1&1/2 for lights, charger, brakes etc.
I took my time, only messed up once, the instructions say put the car back together in the reverse order that you take it apart... ooppss I TRIED to put the fascia on from right to left for a couple of hours only took :15 left to right
That's encouraging to hear. Thanks
Home is Where we park it
Old 02-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

I've only installed one in an older Honda, but it was very simple. Yours may be as easy or more difficult depending on your vehicle and type of baseplate.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

I installed a Blue Ox base plate on a 2015 Ford Focus Titanium. It was very easy and all I needed was a T30 Torx, a push pin remover (much easier than a flat blade screw driver), and a couple of sockets (mostly 10MM). Blue Ox claims 3-4 hours for an experienced installer. I had never done it before, I worked slow and methodical, and it took me about 6 hours total (about 2 hours 3 days in a row). The hardest part was drilling an access hole through the front metal bumper which is spring steel. I watched several E-Trailer videos which helped a lot. However, E-Trailer didn't post a video with clear details how to drill through the front bumper (i.e. slow and lots of pressure for spring steel - and it will take a while) until AFTER I installed it (actually about a week after). I ruined at least 4 holes saws trying to drill fast and slight pressure with oil, but Wal-Mart sells them cheap.

Note: Prior to 2015 Focus, Blue Ox had you drill from the front where I did and everyone else recommends (i.e. Road Master and Demco), but for the 2015 Focus Blue Ox changed the location to drill the access hole on top of the frame which is not spring steel - in hind sight I now know why. If I had to do it again, I'd follow in the instructions ;o)

One bit of advice I would give is to download the instructions for Blue Ox, Road Master, Demco, and anyone else you'd consider. Study each installation to find one which requires the last modification of the car. For the 2015 Focus, it was Blue Ox. I'd also recommend going with a tow bar from the same manufacturer to avoid using adapter plates which is simply another area of possible failure (and cost).
Old 02-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #6

Did a blue ox on a Kia Soul watched the video a few times took about Six hours
Also drilled out holes in tail lite and installed sockets. For 1157 bulbs and a battery switch did not want to mess with any wiring on car
If your good with hand tools not a big job. Two important things to have is your cell phone to take pictures of things. Before you take them a part and two of all size drill bits buy good new bits don't go to harbor fright for them
A small grinding wheel is not a bad thing to have also
Old 02-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies I'm feeling better about the whole thing now.
I'm lucky that I don't have to drill any holes because it uses existing holes where the tow hooks are attached to the frame. I 2 going to go for it next week.
I have the base plate in the garage now thanks again
Home is Where we park it
Old 02-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #8

Installed the blue ox on a 2002 Jeep Liberty and a 2014 wrangler. I kept the you-tube on my iPad and just followed step by step. Finished each of them in just a few hours. Totally disreguarded the paper instructions. The web is a great help, I'm thinking of trying the one on liposuction with my shop vac next.
Good luck!
fedexflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
Air Force Retiree

Post base plate installation.

I have installed Blue ox and Roadmaster base plates on different vehicles. I found the Roadmaster are a much easier and faster installation. They require less modifications and hole drilling. From here on I will only use Roadmaster Base Plates.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #10

Installed a Blue OX on a Honda CRV. More work than I anticipated. They wanted me to do some cuts with a reciprocal saw. I found an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc worked much better.

SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote