Old 09-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
Installing Gooseneck Adapter

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. Hoping you can help. I just purchased my first 5th wheel. My truck has a built in gooseneck ball and I have a gooseneck adapter. I've done mechanical and electrical work most of my life. So connecting the gooseneck adapter is not a big deal. I have seen a couple You Tube videos that demonstrates how to connect the adapter. These videos show the installer drilling 1 1/2" holes in the sides of the king pin box so as to have access to installing 4 bolts and nuts that assist keeping the adapter connection secure. What concerns me is the sides of the king pin box should carry more load than say the top of the box. I guess my question is why drill into the load bearing sides in lieu of the top. Has anyone installed a gooseneck adapter and had to drill holes to access installing of hardware? If so, did you drill into the sides of the king pin box? Am I being over cautious? -- One more thing. It took me many, many, many tries to align the gooseneck to the ball in the truck bed. What tricks do you have to align those 2 components much faster? Tks everyone!

erwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
Head Rambler
Welcome to FRF..

Did you check with the pin box mfg. and/or RV maker to make sure you don't void your warranty by using a gooseneck adaptor? If not, and you're concerned about the warranty, you should.

I'd shy away from drilling any holes in the pin box, unless there was absolutely no other way of doing it.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #3
Thanks Bama Rambler. It's a used 5th wheel and I don't have a warranty. I'm concerned about drilling any holes in the pin box. But unless I can grow my arm around 8", I will not be able to reach the bolt hole. I'm going to ask my brother in law whom might be able to reach far enough.
Again, I have seen videos that drill the holes and they don't seem to think twice. I could weld it in place. But that may cause some other concern - like making it much more difficult to go back to original configuration.
Again, thanks!
erwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #4
If it's a hassle for you to align the gooseneck, why do it? I'd opt for a fifth wheel hitch and let it be. If you need both gooseneck and fifth wheel towing, look at the B&W setup. If you're set on goosenecks, maybe consider the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote