Old 07-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

Insurance Driving monitor issues.

Just thought I would share a significant issue I had with the Progressive insurance Snapshot device. I have learned that they do not like Toyota Tundras and in my case cause severe issues with operability 3 months after installing it.

We were on vacation in Colorado when I noticed the Tundra not wanting to pull steep inclines and at one point got to the top of the pass with no more power and just lucked out we broke over the top before it completely stopped, later that week I had parked on a hill with the emergency brake on. When I got ready to leave I started the truck, released the brake and it did not want to go. Finally got it up the hill, (checked the parking brake and it was released) turned off the engine restarted it and it seemed to have cleared. One block later the truck did it again. This time nothing worked and I was stuck pulling out across traffic when it locked down. The computer would not let the vehicle move, shift gears, anything.

I did quickly figure out that if i gave it full throttle it would move about 3 feet then stop like the brakes or transmission was locking up, I managed to get it out of traffic and on the right shoulder. I shut it off and got out to see if the brakes were smoking or something obvious was wrong underneath, I happen to notice the lights on the Snapshot device were making odd signs so I unplugged it and tried it again. The Turdra started operating pretty much normal again, it still didn't feel like it should but it did see to operate ok.

Moral of the story, there appears to be several law suits against the Snapshot company regarding issues with these devices. I saw at least one other Toyota with similar issues. The device is intended to be passive and not affect the vehicle. I can tell you from personal experience that is not the case, at least for me anyway and Progressive insurance do not clearly tell you it can effect your vehicle.

Lazyboy Recliner replaced Back two chairs.....
J-N-D Wtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
GnS

Those devices often cause too much disruption to the normal operating routines by requesting too much data.

I would NEVER put one of those things on my vehicle. The insurance company is not doing this for your benefit.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS View Post
Those devices often cause too much disruption to the normal operating routines by requesting too much data.

I would NEVER put one of those things on my vehicle. The insurance company is not doing this for your benefit.
Bingo!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #4

Sounds like a huge lawsuit when a vehicle stalls and gets their occupants killed.

But yeah, even if they did work, I would never allow this. I just shake my head at the liberties people give up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #5

NEVER EVER EVER put those things on your vehicle. Like somebody said, they aren't benefitting you at all. Insurance companies calculate annual mileage to determine how much to charge you. Those things track your every movement and report back to the company. Not to mention the mechanical problems it is causing.

Andrew

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

My insurance company sends me questionaires in which they want to know annual mileage and other crap. Never filled one out ,just tossed it in the trash. Sounds like the snapshot needs a trash can as well.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:58 PM   #7

Could imagine being charged a higher insurance rate because the snapshot device showed a lot of high throttle operation. It'd think you were accelerating fast (unsafe) but in reality were trying to get moving with a heavy trailer attached to you.

I'd ditch the snapshot and get a new insurance company.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #8

Had the snapshot for 6 months and never did have any problems.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Had the snapshot for 6 months and never did have any problems.
Did you use it on a Toyota Tundra?

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 85 / 2017 = 14; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #10

You can have those GPS tracking, how fast ya going, how heavy is your foot, how hard you braking devices. I will pay a little more for insurance just to keep big brother out of my life

Tags
insurance