Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #21

I had the Tuson brake controller (the one that plugs into the OBD port to get it's information; Not inertial control) in my 2005 RAM 2500. It worked well, but I had nothing to compare it to. My 2015 GMC 3500 has the integrated brake controller. I notice very little difference between the two. The Tuson has more settings so you could set it up to move between vehicles and different trailers. If anything, I would give the nod to the Tuson over the integrated controller just because it was so customizable. I'm satisfied with the integrated one and will be selling the Tuson sometime soon since I no longer have a need for it. If you don't have an integrated controller and have a compatible vehicle the Tuson is the way to go.
V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #22

I would use the internal Brake controller as its tied in with internal Sway control.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
I would use the internal Brake controller as its tied in with internal Sway control.
If in fact you have "sway control"

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #24

Most (all?) of these integrated systems use the stability control yaw sensors to detect the butt getting squirrelly. If the system does not detect a connected trailer, it will work as normal to control stability. If a trailer is detected, the system may employ a "sway control" type of algorithm, which may include applying some trailer braking. This is the sort of thing an aftermarket controller can never do, having only 1 sensor in 1 location.

As far as the braking "force" at rest? When at rest, none of the vehicles motion sensors will be detecting any motion. So of course, the only way to increase voltage is to respond to brakeline pressure (not pedal force). Aftermarket controllers simply apply 25% (50%? I can't remember) of set voltage if no motion is detected after 2-3 seconds, if the brakes are held. But having variable voltage, based on pressure is great.

But some are saying that these integrated controllers are not inertia-based. That's very limited thinking. The integrated controllers are certainly taking data from the stability control sensors, which are inertia-based accelerometers. It's also pressure data, speed data, wheel-speed sensor data etc. To say it's not inertia-based is not correct. I'm sure it's using everything that the ABS/TC/SC systems have to offer.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #25

Brakeman nobody said they did not use other sensors, I only said the main factor under normal conditions is brake pressure. If you want to split hairs with brake force on the pedal and brake line pressure that is up to you.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestercyco View Post
I have the integrated one on my ford and it works great. I like it will keep mileage on each vehicle that I tow. I have all mileage for tires and total mileage on each one that i tow. I have the Cardinal, race car trailer , a 20 foot flat bed and a goose neck for work.
Jester
X2 plus the engine braking works great. I hardly ever have to use the brakes when I am pulling down a hill. I recently ran into a guy that just bought a less than a year old F150 with an aftermarket brake controller. I didn't understand why anyone would do that. It's easy to install one so I advised him to go back and inquire. Cubby hole come out, brake controller go in.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #27

[QUOTE=TURBS;861254]If in fact you have "sway control"

I do, that's why i use it.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #28

go with the integrated you will NOT regret it I have a 2012 Silverado with the Duramax and I have never seen such great brake control.
walljammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #29

I have a 2013 Chevy 3/4 ton with the integrated break controller and would never have another truck with out it.
I had an aftermarket one on my last truck, every stop light, stop sign, got the pulsing. It doesn't happen with the factory one.
GET IT! is all I can say.
markb5900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #30

word to the wise

I just had my first state inspection and the service guy said I had brake controller set too high. I followed the instructions to set it up but he said after a few hundred miles it needed to be reset. He said after it starts to wear in the brakes grab better. I rechecked and it was to high. Never read this anywhere. I will check that setting more often now. Next year he said I'll probably need a new set of brakes. Live and learn.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Brakeman nobody said they did not use other sensors, I only said the main factor under normal conditions is brake pressure. If you want to split hairs with brake force on the pedal and brake line pressure that is up to you.
I'm not trying to split hairs. Several have said that they are not inertial controlled, and you have said that the main factor in their performance is how hard you press the pedal.

I'd like to know how you know that, because it does not make sense to me, based on the work that I do, and the natural progression in my industry. How do you know that brake force/pressure is the main factor? Just because voltage increases at rest with pedal force/pressure, that does not mean the same for dynamic stops.

If you aren't interested in the conversation, that's fine. But I would love to know.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #32

I don't understand why that would not make sense. An Inertial based system would have to wait till the TV starts to slow down before it would register, were as a system that works off the pressure related to the TV brakes would react the moment the brakes are pressed. I am looking for the story I saw on the GM system but i can't find it right now. If you can supply more info that would be good to, obviously you have more information than I do else you would not say I am wrong.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm an equal opportunity basher- I don't like Chrysler (or Ram) for that reason either!
I guess my point wasn't that Chrysler also got a bailout, it was that you not liking GM or Chrysler lends nothing to the discussion about integrated brake controls.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I don't understand why that would not make sense. An Inertial based system would have to wait till the TV starts to slow down before it would register, were as a system that works off the pressure related to the TV brakes would react the moment the brakes are pressed. I am looking for the story I saw on the GM system but i can't find it right now. If you can supply more info that would be good to, obviously you have more information than I do else you would not say I am wrong.
That's fine.
As far as reaction time, I don't think there would be much difference. We're talking about electronics either way:
-Prodigy: Solid state accelerometer senses deceleration, and the controller sends back a certain proportional voltage.
-Integrated: Pressure transducer senses an increase in pressure (and/or deceleration), and the controller sends back a certain proportional voltage.
The lag for either is milliseconds. Either way the information has to be interpreted by a "brain", then sent.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
I guess my point wasn't that Chrysler also got a bailout, it was that you not liking GM or Chrysler lends nothing to the discussion about integrated brake controls.
You chased that rabbit first, if you'll recall. You did point out that it lends nothing to the original conversation specifically in that earlier post as well, but not before interjecting your opinion on the issue. Somewhat hypocritical, but I digress. Carry on. Oh yeah, IBC's are better.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #36

I will still try and find that story but I may start a new thread because this one has been hijacked enough.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:26 AM   #37

One quick question. Do you need to be in the Tow/Haul mode for the brake controller to work? My old truck had an after market brake controller and I had to press the buttons together to engage trailer brakes. I could feel the braking. On my new 2015 Ram 2500HD, I see the display showing the trailer is hooked up and the voltage moving when I step on the brakes or press the IBC buttons. However, I don't really feel like the brakes are engaging. It makes me wonder if I don't have something set up correctly?
Thanks for any help.
Darter576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #38
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darter576 View Post
One quick question. Do you need to be in the Tow/Haul mode for the brake controller to work? My old truck had an after market brake controller and I had to press the buttons together to engage trailer brakes. I could feel the braking. On my new 2015 Ram 2500HD, I see the display showing the trailer is hooked up and the voltage moving when I step on the brakes or press the IBC buttons. However, I don't really feel like the brakes are engaging. It makes me wonder if I don't have something set up correctly?
Thanks for any help.
No you don't need to be in tow / hual mode for controller to work.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Thanks for any help.
Did you set up the gain on the brake controller? Owner's manual should have instructions on the procedure.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #40

Quote:
Thanks for any help.
Integrated or aftermarket, you should not have to engage any special towing mode. If you had to press the manual buttons/levers on your aftermarket controller to engage the trailer brakes, then something was either wrong with the controller, or you did not have it setup properly.

Tags
brake control, controller, brakes