Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Old Ram Guy

Integrated Trailer Brake Controllers

I am about to buy a 2014 RAM 2500 SLT Crew Cab 4X4 6.7 L Cummins Turbo Diesel and it comes with an integrated brake controller. I have read a few threads in other forums about how these brake controllers would lock up on older model vehicles. Is there anyone that owns one of these or familiar with the newer versions that can tell me if they work well and are reliable?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I am not sure if you are saying that the controller itself failed, or the brakes on an older trailer "locked up" when towed with a vehicle sporting an integrated brake controller. If the latter, there is still a gain or sensitivity adjustment that should eliminate any trailer tires locking. I use an aftermarket version of an integrated brake controller (MaxBrake), and I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think this is the way they ALL should be.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Old Ram Guy

The way I understood the threads I read was that the trailer brakes would lock up when the truck brakes were applied. There is a gain adjustment with the integrated brake controller but it seemed they couldn't adjust it low enough to prevent the brakes on the trailer form locking up. Most of the post were on vehicles ranging from 2010 to 2012 dodge rams with the integrated brake controllers. One post mentioned that he had tried the truck with several different trailers and the brakes would still lock up. He eventually went to an aftermarket trailer brake. I was just wondering if there was anyone having problems that has one of the integrated brakes controllers on their RAM before I buy the truck. It's one fine looking truck for sure!!!
Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #4

Sorry my reply wasn't more helpful. After reading this information my suggestion would be to not let something as small as a potential brake controller issue be a "deal breaker"...as you already mentioned, they can easily be replaced (they never used to come built in anyway).

I am not sure what type of trailer you have, but would it be possible to test drive your potential new truck with your trailer in tow? Would the problem you describe be repairable under warranty?
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
Old 08-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Old Ram Guy

I asked the dealer to try it out towing my camper, but he insists that his insurance doesn't cover that. I'm sure it would be a warranty item if I had problems, but I just thought someone out there might have one already that could shed some light on it for me. I don't think I would let it sway my decision to buy the truck anyway. Like you said a brake controller is a pretty simple fix. Thanks for the response.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #6

We have the 2013 model with integrated brake controller and it works just fine. Only thing to remember is to restart the engine when connecting and disconnecting the trailer or else you'd get an error message.
I do know from experience that 2008 Fords had issues.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #7

I have a 2013 SLT crew cab 4X4. Basically the same truck you are talking about. I have used the integrated controller many times and it has worked flawlessly. I could not be happier with it. I wish I would have held out for the 2014's though. From my understanding they have improved the truck drastically with the new 5 link rear suspension and factory air bags. You will love that truck.
jjgabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have had the integrated brake controller on both a 2009 f250 and a 2014 silverado 3500. Works better than my prodigy P3 did and I really liked the p3. I have zero complaints with the integrated systems.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #9

I read an article on one of the threads in here that said the installed brake controllers worked with the trucks ABS system. I will try to find it.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #10

I read all that same stuff on the Cummins forum and I'm not seeing the problem. I've towed our camper every other weekend all summer with my 2012 Ram and have no compaints. I really like them integrated rather than mounted under the dash too.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #11

I've only used mine once, but it was no problem... it's new, and I need to adjust it a bit, probably, but that will come next time out.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #12

A working integrated brake controller will out perform an aftermarket brake controller 100% of the time.

I'd never buy another truck without one.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:41 AM   #13

"After reading this thread, it appears that at least one person here doesn't understand what an integrated brake controller is...and it could be me. My understanding is that the word "integrated" is referring to the controller being tied into ("integrated") the hydraulic brake lines giving it a better sense of how much braking force is being applied or needed. It would be irrelevant whether the controller is "built in" to the dash or mounted underneath the dash like my aftermarket "integrated" MaxBrake controller. If I am mistaken, please correct me?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #14

Green, my understanding is that my 14 Ram 3500 has a "integrated" brake controller. I say intergrated because it is in the dash AND it us part of the computer of the vehicle. I can access the settings in my heads up display. It is not an aftermarket add on.

And it works great.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #15

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead.php?t=8737
Old 08-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
"After reading this thread, it appears that at least one person here doesn't understand what an integrated brake controller is...and it could be me. My understanding is that the word "integrated" is referring to the controller being tied into ("integrated") the hydraulic brake lines giving it a better sense of how much braking force is being applied or needed. It would be irrelevant whether the controller is "built in" to the dash or mounted underneath the dash like my aftermarket "integrated" MaxBrake controller. If I am mistaken, please correct me?
No. What has been called "Integrated Brake Controller", is a brake controller that is integrated into the OEM vehicle, just like a stock stereo headunit is integrated by the OEM. It's not aftermarket, and it's not a dealer-only add-on option (although many of these can be retrofitted by a dealer).

We are not talking about any brake controller that gets installed under the dash on a bracket, or with Velcro, regardless of how it ties into the vehicle.

Any by the way, even the integrated controllers are not directly tied into the hydraulics. They pull information from sensors that are reading hydraulic pressure, wheel speeds, and many other sensors involved in stability control etc. There are some aftermarket brake controllers that actually tap into the hydraulic system. Or at least there used to be. I do not believe these would function significantly better than the Tekonsha P2/P3 unit, would likely cost more, would be more difficult to install, and adds the risk of brake fluid leakage.

In my opinion, I do not believe that the integrated controllers offer significant performance improvement over a Tekonsha P2/P3, when measured in terms of stopping distance. But if you can get something purpose-built, seamlessly integrated into the dash just like the HVAC and radio, has a factory warranty, and MIGHT stop a bit shorter....why not!?!?! If you happen to get a dud, the dealer fixes the problem, just like they would if your factory navigation system was a dud.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
No. What has been called "Integrated Brake Controller", is a brake controller that is integrated into the OEM vehicle, just like a stock stereo headunit is integrated by the OEM. It's not aftermarket, and it's not a dealer-only add-on option (although many of these can be retrofitted by a dealer).

We are not talking about any brake controller that gets installed under the dash on a bracket, or with Velcro, regardless of how it ties into the vehicle.

Any by the way, even the integrated controllers are not directly tied into the hydraulics. They pull information from sensors that are reading hydraulic pressure, wheel speeds, and many other sensors involved in stability control etc. There are some aftermarket brake controllers that actually tap into the hydraulic system. Or at least there used to be. I do not believe these would function significantly better than the Tekonsha P2/P3 unit, would likely cost more, would be more difficult to install, and adds the risk of brake fluid leakage.

In my opinion, I do not believe that the integrated controllers offer significant performance improvement over a Tekonsha P2/P3, when measured in terms of stopping distance. But if you can get something purpose-built, seamlessly integrated into the dash just like the HVAC and radio, has a factory warranty, and MIGHT stop a bit shorter....why not!?!?! If you happen to get a dud, the dealer fixes the problem, just like they would if your factory navigation system was a dud.
The IBC's tie into all the other sway and traction controls built into the vehicle as well.

In my opinion, your opinion is incorrect. IBC's are a significant upgrade over any aftermarket brake controller.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #18

Thank you for your opinion about my opinion...

I've read both of your posts, I neither of them give any basis for your opinion. Do you have any reasoning for your opinions.

For my part, as I've said, there is significant advantage (for the integrated BC) in convenience, warranty, and even for the rare need for stability control when towing. But for basic performance (stopping distance) I see nothing that would decrease. Both systems are sensing deceleration rates directly with non-moving accelerometers, and sending a proportional signal to the 7-pin Bargman connector.

Please explain to me how the integrated system will stop a rig shorter? I'm not trying to argue. Just trying to draw you out a bit more. If you have better information than I do, I would love to learn more about it. Please share.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #19
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
I do know from experience that 2008 Fords had issues.
Hmmm, seems that maybe this should be changed to read

"I do know from experience that MY 2008 Ford had an issue"

Have had two 2008 Fords with IBC and know several others as well and have never experienced or heard of anyone else experiencing, this issue.

I guess my IBC did not get the memo?
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #20

My friend just got a 2014 3500 Ram with a IBC, he was just over my house showing me the truck, (which is nice) He said he read the fine print on the IBC and it only works with certain electric brakes. He is good with his TT, but his older car carrier, the IBC will not work. He has not tried it yet, but he may have to put his P3 in the truck after all.

When he asked the dealer about, they claimed that they did not know the IBC was limited.

He is bummed because, what is the point if it dosn't work with all electric brakes.

Could that be the issue? Just a thought. I don't have a IBC, but just sharing info that I have heard.
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, trailer, brakes