Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Old Ram Guy

Integrated Trailer Brake Controllers

I am about to buy a 2014 RAM 2500 SLT Crew Cab 4X4 6.7 L Cummins Turbo Diesel and it comes with an integrated brake controller. I have read a few threads in other forums about how these brake controllers would lock up on older model vehicles. Is there anyone that owns one of these or familiar with the newer versions that can tell me if they work well and are reliable?

Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I am not sure if you are saying that the controller itself failed, or the brakes on an older trailer "locked up" when towed with a vehicle sporting an integrated brake controller. If the latter, there is still a gain or sensitivity adjustment that should eliminate any trailer tires locking. I use an aftermarket version of an integrated brake controller (MaxBrake), and I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think this is the way they ALL should be.

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Old Ram Guy

The way I understood the threads I read was that the trailer brakes would lock up when the truck brakes were applied. There is a gain adjustment with the integrated brake controller but it seemed they couldn't adjust it low enough to prevent the brakes on the trailer form locking up. Most of the post were on vehicles ranging from 2010 to 2012 dodge rams with the integrated brake controllers. One post mentioned that he had tried the truck with several different trailers and the brakes would still lock up. He eventually went to an aftermarket trailer brake. I was just wondering if there was anyone having problems that has one of the integrated brakes controllers on their RAM before I buy the truck. It's one fine looking truck for sure!!!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Sorry my reply wasn't more helpful. After reading this information my suggestion would be to not let something as small as a potential brake controller issue be a "deal breaker"...as you already mentioned, they can easily be replaced (they never used to come built in anyway).

I am not sure what type of trailer you have, but would it be possible to test drive your potential new truck with your trailer in tow? Would the problem you describe be repairable under warranty?
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Old Ram Guy

I asked the dealer to try it out towing my camper, but he insists that his insurance doesn't cover that. I'm sure it would be a warranty item if I had problems, but I just thought someone out there might have one already that could shed some light on it for me. I don't think I would let it sway my decision to buy the truck anyway. Like you said a brake controller is a pretty simple fix. Thanks for the response.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #6

We have the 2013 model with integrated brake controller and it works just fine. Only thing to remember is to restart the engine when connecting and disconnecting the trailer or else you'd get an error message.
I do know from experience that 2008 Fords had issues.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #7

I have a 2013 SLT crew cab 4X4. Basically the same truck you are talking about. I have used the integrated controller many times and it has worked flawlessly. I could not be happier with it. I wish I would have held out for the 2014's though. From my understanding they have improved the truck drastically with the new 5 link rear suspension and factory air bags. You will love that truck.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
Site Team

I have had the integrated brake controller on both a 2009 f250 and a 2014 silverado 3500. Works better than my prodigy P3 did and I really liked the p3. I have zero complaints with the integrated systems.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #9

I read an article on one of the threads in here that said the installed brake controllers worked with the trucks ABS system. I will try to find it.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #10

I read all that same stuff on the Cummins forum and I'm not seeing the problem. I've towed our camper every other weekend all summer with my 2012 Ram and have no compaints. I really like them integrated rather than mounted under the dash too.

Tags
brake control, controller, trailer, brakes