Old 04-06-2016, 12:38 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Typer's cramp. No problem. Diesels been apart of my whole life starting as a child with my dad when he was an OTR owner/operator. From equipment to trucks I've worked on alot and had the pleasure of owning some.
The first impression I got from earlier posts was EGR is the reason diesel oil gets black. It's simply not the case, proven by earlier non-EGR diesels. I like to try to educate and separate fact from lore.
No harm, keep on truckin!
Delete that Ford and watch that oil clean up.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:45 AM   #102
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Delete that Ford and watch that oil clean up.
Delete my Ford? I guess that would keep the 4 gallons of oil clean.
If you meant delete the EGR, I tuned it and the EGR system is non functioning. My oil still gets black. Always did. It's a diesel. I'm about to roll over 168 thousand miles with no issues. OCI every 5,000.

05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #103

I want a dually next time but I don't want a long bed so I'll be looking for some other brand, I have a 3500 Chevy diesel SRW now

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerky View Post
It takes 10.5 gallons
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
That's correct. I used to manage a pipeline system that used large mainframe engine compressors that held aprox. 2400 gallons of oil each. We never changed it unless it became contaminated with water. We did monthly sampling and in-depth analysis. We had engines that had been running 24/7 for years without an oil change, and they performed just fine. We would have upwards of 23,000 hours between overhauls. It was fascinating to stand in a building with 9 of these huge 3-4000 hp engines side by side running. It usually didn't take long for the oil to darken up, but the color was not important to us,(unless it was yellow which meant water). Give me the analysis page and I can tell if the oil is still good or not.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #105

Interesting F350 fuel mileage data

MillerTime is is all about the cost of ownership for me. Can I afford a new F350 yup, but what am I willing to put down and pay per month is the bigger question. I don't want to put down my life savings to buy it, and I don't want a mortgage payment to own it, so I am looking at all of them. I have even though about staying with a travel trailer just to use my 1/2 ton F150 as I will also use this truck as a daily driver. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...lol

On a side note what is better about the GMC Duramax 2500HD then a Dodge or Ford just curious bc it all seems to come down to preference
Old 04-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post

On a side note what is better about the GMC Duramax 2500HD then a Dodge or Ford just curious bc it all seems to come down to preference

Curious too...
Gm has the lowest numbers.
Not a pissing match.
Genuinely curious.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 04-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #107
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
My pre EGR oil would run as clean as a gas engine.
Best truck I ever owned was my 1996 F350 CC DRW 7.3 PSD. Mileage was in the upper teens on the highway, but it had 4:10 rear end and would move a house or two. I was running 80%+ bio in it and it loved it. Sold it because it wasn't getting enough use had around 150k on it when it left last year.

Still have a 7.3 on the property in one of our farm trucks. It runs 100% bio, can't calculate mileage, odo broke at 500k, it is a 4x4 F350 SRW and spends most of it's time below 25 mph.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #108
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
MillerTime is is all about the cost of ownership for me. Can I afford a new F350 yup, but what am I willing to put down and pay per month is the bigger question. I don't want to put down my life savings to buy it, and I don't want a mortgage payment to own it, so I am looking at all of them. I have even though about staying with a travel trailer just to use my 1/2 ton F150 as I will also use this truck as a daily driver. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...lol

I was just pointing out that the price you stated for an sle, just $4,000 -6000 more could get you a loaded out Denali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Curious too...
Gm has the lowest numbers.
Not a pissing match.
Genuinely curious.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
You guys don't really want me to honestly answer this question!
It would get too many people's panties in a wad

(I see everything thru the eyes of a tech trained in auto, truck and industrial mechanics and also in auto collision technology. )
Old 04-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #109
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
I have even though about staying with a travel trailer just to use my 1/2 ton F150 as I will also use this truck as a daily driver. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...lol
Honestly this is the smartest decision financially.
I have to have a truck that can haul a lot and i commute 90 -100 miles a day so i have always had a cheap car for that. So its a little different deal for me.

After just taking a Dave Ramsey class for 9 weeks, I'd just stick with what you have. Unless you haul quite a bit fairly frequently, its not worth the extra cost of a newer bigger truck.
Now if your retired and traveling all the time then go for it. I'm a millenial so retirement is a long ways off for me, but my truck fits my needs and our buget.
I don't know where your at in life so I'd definitely look real hard at the numbers! You dont have to impress any of us on here, and some people that you meet in person just talk crap if you do have nice stuff that you have worked hard to gain.

Just look at the big picture and how this all fits in with you life goals and dreams. I would hate to be the one that convinced someone to take on a mountain of debt, and hate it even more if they did it because of something i said or did.

Good luck making a decision man!
Old 04-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #110

MillerTime thanks for the info and to answer all your questions in one summary.

I only go in to the office 10 days a month at 1,000 miles per month, also in mid to late 40's. The future wife and I have 4 boys 2 each which are all grown up and we decided to retire in 7-10 years so we are no longer going to buy a house here in NJ, going to wait and buy a house in cash in Florida. Since we changed that plan and have been saving, she said to me get the truck I want and we are starting to look at 5th wheels but max of 33 feet and something that fits our needs. We want to travel son 1 vacation outside of camping per year and then camping trips.

I am not in search of a new or used diesel, looking at F350's and GMC at the moment but have not ruled out Dodge's.

I will still be smart with my purchase but we get the truck this year and wai until next year to sell the Roo and buy a used 5er either Crusader or Rockwood, don't want something big and heavy like a Cedar Creek, I want to have wiggle room both in Towing Capacity and Payload and play it smart.

We are going to hopefully take a trip to the Grand Canyon for 2.5 weeks next year or year after depends on our schedules as I get 6 weeks time off and she gets 9 weeks and we take them at the same time just about so we want to enjoy without worrying about costs.

PM me your idea about which Diesel truck, I am really curious to know what ppl think about all three?

Tags
f350, mileage