Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Wanderluster

InvisiBrake

Disclaimer... I have no financial interest of any type with this product. I bought it based on my preferences and research only. I am sharing because I think this is an interesting alternative to many of the other supplemental braking systems available. Your results may vary.

Here are my first impressions of the Roadmaster InvisiBrake...

Sure are a lot of part in that little box...

I purchased this supplemental brake system for it's ease of use AFTER installation... obviously not for ease OF installation. Actually the basic install is pretty straightforward. There are some "align and install" parts that require careful planning to start with. To me, figuring the location of these parts was the most difficult part of the install.

A pulley and cable must be installed behind the brake pedal. This cable is attached to an air operated cylinder mounted at a convenient location. From the cylinder an air line is connected to the InvisiBrake controller.

The controller operates from the tow vehicles brake lights with a timed over-ride to prevent brake damage to the towed vehicle. To help braking performance, a vacuum line is attached to the engine vacuum lines to provide brake boost during operation. Towed vehicle battery is charged while towing.

As a DIY project, I found this to be challenging. If I was a few years younger and still a contortionist, it wouldn't have been too bad. That said, it took me the better part of two days (I admit I'm slow) along with some bloody knuckles. Working under a vehicles dash isn't nearly as much fun as some folks would have you believe.

Roadmaster's InvisiBrake
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #2

I'm going to get this unit BUT I'll leave the instillation up to a pro.... Obviously, it will cost more but I'll be sure it was done without me having to crawl under dashes, etc.... Plus a lot shorter install time.... And I'll be sure it's done right and I didn't totally screw it up....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes