Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Is 27' trailer to big for a noob to learn?

Like title asks, wondering if you guys think a 27' trailer is too big for someone who's never towed before. Would you recommend a smaller sized TT for a noob? We're very close to pulling the trigger on a wildwood 2015 231bhxl or an evo 2014 t2250 with similar lengths. The more I think about it the more nervous I'm getting lol.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #2

Absolutely not too big. Get the camper you want and don't look back. You will have a learning curve on anything that you buy. You will find out quickly that it is not that big at all. Take your time and know what is around you, going forward and backward... enjoy the 27footer if you and your wife love the layout.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #3

Not necessarily, buy what you need so that way you don't have to sell and buy the bigger one in less than a year or 2. Just practice in a big lot.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Always Learning

I went from basically never towing to pulling a 19' (when closed) pop-up. I towed that for a year and then bought a crew cab/long bed truck and 42' fifth wheel. IMO, you get used to it pretty quick.

As was mentioned above- focus mostly on floorplan and the features that you "must have" and go for it.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Professional Texan

If your Tow vehicle will pull it and its set up right you'll be fine. We were all new at one time or another and since your learning a little nervousness channeled into being cautious is a good thing and will keep you out of trouble.

My first trailer was a 27 foot. When we shopped for a new one I told my wife "I will not pull a 30' trailer." We found one we really liked. It is 29' 5" .

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #6

Thanks guys! Like I said, we're excited but I'm getting a little nervous just thinking about it lol. I think once it's hooked up and I'm actually driving it, I'll find my comfort level with it. Just got a bit of the jitters!

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 05-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #7

Pulling, I find no difference in a long vs short trailer.
Backing, I find the longer to be easier since it's more forgiving and less twitchy to input from the steering wheel.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #8

First TT was a 30 foot R-Vision, and I remember the feeling. The main thing to remember is take your time, develop a routine for hooking up, unhooking, set-up etc. Did I say take your time? Drive cautiously and always be on the lookout for others. You'll adjust in no time!
JeffMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #9

Well here is the sticker for the Wildwood. I forgot to take a pic of the Evo yesterday. My TV should be plenty for this trailer from what I've learned here and other forums as far as weights etc.

I still haven't gotten to a scale to weight my TV, but I'm estimating it to be right around 6000 lbs.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 05-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #10

You can do it. Don't second guess just take your time. I have a 2014 32 ft and my first time towing something like that was when I picked it up on North Carolina and brought it home to NH. Take your time and watch your turns.

kids think tt stands for tan turd.
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #11

Your EcoBoost Ford can sling that TT around like a wet noodle.

I was always told to look at the camper you wanted and then go bigger. We had a 19ft camper picked out...so we decided to go with a 35ft'r

Have fun!

-Bill Thomas
Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt01 View Post
Your EcoBoost Ford can sling that TT around like a wet noodle.

I was always told to look at the camper you wanted and then go bigger. We had a 19ft camper picked out...so we decided to go with a 35ft'r

Have fun!

LOL I have never heard of that before. I always heard get the trailer you want and don't settle. That's pretty darn funny though lol

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 05-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #13

I've towed stuff just about all my life. I've found when it comes to TT the length was never the biggest deal but how the TV and TT are set up is what makes or breaks it for towing.. The dealer (the one i used anyway) knows what sells not so much what's the best.. I found that the twin cam sway hitch was the best thing that made the difference between a TT that pulled good and one that Pulled Great.. 2nd is a Good brake controller.. the dealer sells packages that keeps sticker shock down but once i made these 2 upgrades I would NEVER go back to friction bars and cheap controllers..
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook View Post
I've towed stuff just about all my life. I've found when it comes to TT the length was never the biggest deal but how the TV and TT are set up is what makes or breaks it for towing.. The dealer (the one i used anyway) knows what sells not so much what's the best.. I found that the twin cam sway hitch was the best thing that made the difference between a TT that pulled good and one that Pulled Great.. 2nd is a Good brake controller.. the dealer sells packages that keeps sticker shock down but once i made these 2 upgrades I would NEVER go back to friction bars and cheap controllers..
Thanks zook. I have this wdh:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...wdh-60447.html

I don't know if it's dual cam, I think it might be, I'll have to post a pic of it later.

I also have the factory installed ford brake controller, which from what I understand is an excellant brake controller. Until I can afford a better wdh, I'm kind of stuck with this one. I'd like to get an Andersen when we can.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 05-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #15

Don't listen to the dealer when it comes to what your truck can safely tow. Do the numbers yourself and ask questions here. Personally, I don't like to be anywhere close to the max.

As far as, is it too long for your first trailer, no. They are all the same. The longer, the more you need to make a turn and the more you need to make lane changes. That's it, and you'll get used to it pretty quickly. Now, backing up takes some practice. Make sure you and your partner have a good understanding as how things work. You can use cell phones or CB radios to communicate while backing up. You can take it to a big empty parking lot and setup some cones or something so you can get the hang of backing up in a site. While you re getting used to it, you could get pull through sites to make it easier. Cheers and enjoy it.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #16

Yea I didn't listen to the dealer as far as what I can tow. I did all my research on here and the F150 forums for the numbers etc, so I'm not too worried about it's capability per se. Just new to towing so I'm nervous and will definitely be cautious when doing it. Excited!

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 05-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #17

Just take the time to understand when you need to start your 90 degree right turns. In my case, I usually wait until the corner is at the rear bumper. My trailer is just over 30' with tongue. Take all your corners wide to start. Act like you're driving an 18 wheeler. Then slowly start to close them in, and pay close attention to your mirrors. It will take about 10-20 turns before you really understand how to pull the trailer. Your turns will become more shallow and you'll figure it out on your own.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #18

When we got our Evo 2850, it was our first time with a WDH so took a little while to get my set up correct. My issue was tire pressures. Never thought of increasing when towing so our tail would wag with wind and passing trucks.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
Thanks zook. I have this wdh:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...wdh-60447.html

I don't know if it's dual cam, I think it might be, I'll have to post a pic of it later.

I also have the factory installed ford brake controller, which from what I understand is an excellant brake controller. Until I can afford a better wdh, I'm kind of stuck with this one. I'd like to get an Andersen when we can.
This is the one I used and loved it.. it still had to be set up the proper way but the way the cams locked into the saddles of the bars kept the TV and the TT wanting to stay locked up going straight.

Weight Distribution - Reese

As for as brake controllers I had and still have the Prodigy. I know nothing about the Ford controller and it may be very up to the task..

The best thing to do (IMO) is once you get everything, spend a few $ and take your entire rig to a Welding/ Hitch place.. one that instals Hitches and let them go over everything.. they may be a few people that work at dealers and camping supply places that know how to do this but for the most part I've not found any that knew how to truly set these things up.. and don't get me wrong I'm not basing dealers,, as a matter of fact i've done this set up twice with 2 different TT and then with Tow bars behind a Class C MH.. all bought from the same dealer..
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:12 AM   #20
Incheon, S. Korea

There are videos about towing and tail swing. Watch them. You can wipe out cars in the lane next to you if your are not careful. I'd also research the hitch setup very thoroughly. You need to be sure everything is correct before you tow.
Also be sure your mirrors are extended so you can see the end of the trailer.
Have fun!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer