Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #41
Camp Bartender

What transmission do you have? If it is the 4L60E, start saving now for a new one. My went out in my 04 Avalanche and I had three transmission shops tell me its not if, but when with the 4L60E.

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #42

Another item not mentioned: rear axle bearings. On a 10 series GM you are using the axle as the inner race. I have changed LOTS of axles and bearings due to constant overloading. Construction tradesmen just love to buy a 1/2 ton and load it like it was a one ton.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:05 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmith2859 View Post
What transmission do you have? If it is the 4L60E, start saving now for a new one. My went out in my 04 Avalanche and I had three transmission shops tell me its not if, but when with the 4L60E.
X2. Count on it.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
A friend tows with a Toyota FJ40 right at or probably over the max rating. Even using Amsoil oil in the rear axle he is on his third set of gears in 300K miles. He probably only tows about 500 miles a year but it's is just more than the rear axle was designed to handle.

I'd say run what you have for now but start looking for a larger TV or smaller trailer if you don't want to deal with break downs.

I think that this is what I will do. I'm already looking into it - probably gonna go with a lighter tt - I really do love my van. I'll get this season out of the way with local camping and wrap it up towards the end of the season with a new tt.
I do want to add that I have the 3.42 rear gear ratio - it is the small one and will make my motor run at higher Rpm's but the motor seems very strong. The van had one owner, it was garage kept for 15 years before I bought it and it only had one mechanic work on it. She was in mint condition when I bought her and the engine purrs like a kitten. I will gamble in about a week when I go camp and this has really concerned me - again not safety but breakdown . Don't feel like buying a new trans , you know ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #45

"is anyone over exceeding their gross combination weight rating? " Not now, not for many years, but long, long ago I did. Consistently. Trying to make a living a Ford Ranger was overloaded by a lot more than 500#. It was over by any number published or even in ones dreams. Put 80,000 miles on it and only changed brakes.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #46

I'd sure think that you'd max out your payload on a vehicle before you'd max out the gcwr.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #47

I posted it on Craigslist - I'm sad to have to do this but I don't want to risk a new trans or rear gear - darn, I'm literally just a few hundred over the limit

Old 06-30-2016, 08:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
I posted it on Craigslist - I'm sad to have to do this but I don't want to risk a new trans or rear gear - darn, I'm literally just a few hundred over the limit

This camping deal will grab ahold of you.

What's great now will seem small soon.

Years ago I had a 26 ft Travco motorhome and before that a 32 ft trailer I lived in on the road that I pulled with a 1978 Big 10 Chevy. I was no doubt way over my weight ratings back then in 1985 but there was no internet to tell me so. It pulled ok.

Then I had a couple of used trailers I traded for and then sold after fixing them up because they didn't suit me.

I was going to buy a rockwood minilite to pull with my 2015 Colorado. Wife said too small, and she didn't like the Murphy Bed.

Bought Jayco 23RB 2015 new. Discovered no room for my big Lab. I built a frame where I could take the dinette table out and store it and then put his kennel in the dinette space. Major contortionist moves to do this every time we went somewhere.

Then I was working out of town and took it to live in. No room, my feet were hanging off of the camper queen bed, was aggravated.

So I bought a 2016 Sunset Trail 250RB. A nice big slide, 80 inch queen bed so my feet didn't hang off the end, everything's great. Except the Colorado was at the edge of it's limits (7200 pound tow rating). Dealer wouldn't give me peanuts for the Jayco so I put it up for sale.

So I traded it for a 2015 Silverado 1500 z71 4x4. Tow rating 9200 pounds, gcwr 15,000 pounds, payload 1745 pounds.

Everything's fine now, right?

We went to Florida for 2 weeks. Drove down in ice and snow, drove back in ice and snow. Dangerous roads, but locked into our reservations. While I was down there I reserved our spot for next winter for a month. That was $1200 I think.
After sitting in Illinois freezing weather when we got home I decided a month wasn't long enough. After weighing the options with the wife I bought the place year round for $3600. 4 months was $2800 so it seemed like a good decision.

Then this used Windjammer showed up at my fave camper dealer. They shot me a great trade and deal for my jayco which hadn't sold. All I'd had from my ads on the jayco were people with no money and tire kickers. so wife and I decided to trade and just leave the Windjammer 3001W in florida all year. After the initial pull down there we wouldn't have to pull a trailer down there, it would already be there.

So now I'm stressing about pulling an 8,000 pound trailer (loaded) to florida, 1100 miles. Over and down Monteagle. Even though I'm within my capacities. So I've looked at 2500HD and 3500HD trucks but can't afford to trade. And wife says get the 3500HD in case we decide to sell the house and get a big 5th wheel and hit the road.

Unless I've already put you and everyone else to sleep (and I'm sure about 95% of people have stopped reading way before now), what I'm saying is it never ends. I think it's called 2 footitis.

If you like your trailer, just find something that will pull it. You probably won't be happy with something smaller.

Novel writer out, hands cramping...
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #49

Thing is I live my van too, maybe even more than the trailer , lol

Old 06-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #50

I posted this the other day...government commercial vehicle

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1467297168.513854.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	112672

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
This camping deal will grab ahold of you.

What's great now will seem small soon.

Years ago I had a 26 ft Travco motorhome and before that a 32 ft trailer I lived in on the road that I pulled with a 1978 Big 10 Chevy. I was no doubt way over my weight ratings back then in 1985 but there was no internet to tell me so. It pulled ok.

Then I had a couple of used trailers I traded for and then sold after fixing them up because they didn't suit me.

I was going to buy a rockwood minilite to pull with my 2015 Colorado. Wife said too small, and she didn't like the Murphy Bed.

Bought Jayco 23RB 2015 new. Discovered no room for my big Lab. I built a frame where I could take the dinette table out and store it and then put his kennel in the dinette space. Major contortionist moves to do this every time we went somewhere.

Then I was working out of town and took it to live in. No room, my feet were hanging off of the camper queen bed, was aggravated.

So I bought a 2016 Sunset Trail 250RB. A nice big slide, 80 inch queen bed so my feet didn't hang off the end, everything's great. Except the Colorado was at the edge of it's limits (7200 pound tow rating). Dealer wouldn't give me peanuts for the Jayco so I put it up for sale.

So I traded it for a 2015 Silverado 1500 z71 4x4. Tow rating 9200 pounds, gcwr 15,000 pounds, payload 1745 pounds.

Everything's fine now, right?

We went to Florida for 2 weeks. Drove down in ice and snow, drove back in ice and snow. Dangerous roads, but locked into our reservations. While I was down there I reserved our spot for next winter for a month. That was $1200 I think.
After sitting in Illinois freezing weather when we got home I decided a month wasn't long enough. After weighing the options with the wife I bought the place year round for $3600. 4 months was $2800 so it seemed like a good decision.

Then this used Windjammer showed up at my fave camper dealer. They shot me a great trade and deal for my jayco which hadn't sold. All I'd had from my ads on the jayco were people with no money and tire kickers. so wife and I decided to trade and just leave the Windjammer 3001W in florida all year. After the initial pull down there we wouldn't have to pull a trailer down there, it would already be there.

So now I'm stressing about pulling an 8,000 pound trailer (loaded) to florida, 1100 miles. Over and down Monteagle. Even though I'm within my capacities. So I've looked at 2500HD and 3500HD trucks but can't afford to trade. And wife says get the 3500HD in case we decide to sell the house and get a big 5th wheel and hit the road.

Unless I've already put you and everyone else to sleep (and I'm sure about 95% of people have stopped reading way before now), what I'm saying is it never ends. I think it's called 2 footitis.

If you like your trailer, just find something that will pull it. You probably won't be happy with something smaller.

Novel writer out, hands cramping...
Interesting to me....I think pretty normal too. The only thing that stops me from a Ram4500/5500 or f450/550 and a 42 ft. 5er is money.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #52

is anyone over exceeding their gross combination weight rating?

Just spoke to my mechanic who happens to own a transmission shop and he tells me that with electric brakes, wdh and trans cooler - I shouldn't worry as long as I'm not in the mountains and am taking it easy. Says the Chevy 350 is a good motor . It's still on Craigslist for sale and well see what happens - I will keep my camping trip for the week of the 8th of July but will sell once someone shows interest since it may be a problem down the line and too be honest, I want to go to the smokeys, the badlands etc etc.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
Just spoke to my mechanic who happens to own a transmission shop and he tells me that with electric brakes, wdh and trans cooler - I shouldn't worry as long as I'm not in the mountains and am taking it easy. Says the Chevy 350 is a good motor . It's still on Craigslist for sale and well see what happens - I will keep my camping trip for the week of the 8th of July but will sell once someone shows interest since it may be a problem down the line and too be honest, I want to go to the smokeys, the badlands etc etc.

Which are you selling the trailer or TV?
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #54

Trailer

Old 06-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #55

is anyone over exceeding their gross combination weight rating?

That's too bad after the work you put in it. I had a 2000 mallard 24j that I towed with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was less educated than am now and the GVWR of camper was 6500. And the towing of jeep was 7200. Never weighed it never worried. Drove the thing for 7 year without an issue until 7th year. I am sure I was way much more overweight than you are.

Most vehicles if you get a few overweight people in them are overweight and I'm talking about passenger cars. (Cargo)

My dad years ago towed a 18ft TT behind a caprice classic. He drove that from Maine to California to Oklahoma to Pittsburgh. Forums or weight police were not in existence back then.

Do what makes you feel comfortable. To get lighter than what you currently have you are down to a small hybrid or pop up. Most newer pop ups are over 2500lbs now.

Good luck.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #56

It sucks but I got it cheap enough to where I'll make my money back. I'm in no rush though, BOM still taking it out next week and will sell at my leisure. Will just play it safe when towing.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #57

I feel I could haul it with no problems but after a while , things will break down and that's what I'm trying to avoid. I'll still enjoy it this summer with local cg's while having it posted on Craigslist - eventually it will ship

Old 06-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #58

Don't let anyone tell you the GM has a bad trans or rear axle! There are 10's of thousands of them in the road with no problems! 1 or 2 on a forum is not enough to sway me!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #59

That's what my mechanic said - he said id be fine just take it easy . I'll test it local and great it like a baby

Old 06-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Don't let anyone tell you the GM has a bad trans or rear axle! There are 10's of thousands of them in the road with no problems! 1 or 2 on a forum is not enough to sway me!
Not to start an argument, but the 4L60 DOES have weaknesses. The 4L80 and 4L80E are much more stout for towing use. Same with a semi floating rear vs a full floating rear. I'm not saying they are bad. They have limitations, thats all.

Tags
weight