Old 06-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #31

Only on an RV forum is one chastised for being 500lbs over weight. I guess no one has ever noticed all the construction trucks pulling all kinds of trailers. No WD, or regards for weight. I find these threads to be ridiculous. So many people tow overweight and never get noticed. It doesn't make it right but at the same time it's not the apocalypse as some thing it is.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Only on an RV forum is one chastised for being 500lbs over weight. I find these threads to be ridiculous. So many people tow overweight and never get noticed. It doesn't make it right but at the same time it's not the apocalypse as some thing it is.
X2.... preach on, I'm with ya.... now get some popcorn... this is gonna be interesting😂

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #33
Site Team

These threads always turn into the weight police and the weight bandits.

The op sounds like his concerned is with mechanical breakdown. Lets try to post on topic.

Had a 98 chevy 1500 5.7 3.72 rear end pickup in great shape. Towed on the heavy side but not over my max weight. The 5.7 was bullet proof and did a fine job.
In a short period of time I burned up the rear end. Cost over 2k to have repaired.
For me more truck is always better, upgrade 2500hd here I come.

Your truck is old , a lot depends on the condition of your truck. You know its going to be working its rear end off. Find the sweet spot and drive in it. For me that was 62mph.
Be safe!
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:10 AM   #34

is anyone over exceeding their gross combination weight rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
These threads always turn into the weight police and the weight bandits.

The op sound like his concerned is with mechanical breakdown. Lets try to post on topic.

Had a 98 chevy 1500 5.7 3.72 rear end pickup in great shape. Towed on the heavy side but not over my max weight. The 5.7 was bullet proof and did a fine job.
In a short period of time I burned up the rear end. Cost over 2k to have repaired.
For me more truck is always better, upgrade 2500hd here I come.

Your truck is old , a lot depends on the condition of your truck. You know its going to be working its rear end off. Find the sweet spot and drive in it. For me that was 62mph.
Be safe!

These are the kind of stories I want to read about and scare the heck out of me. How much over were you? Do you recall?

I was told to check rear differential level and color so that the rear differential doesn't break down - hope this prevents any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2016, 12:22 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
These are the kind of stories I want to read about and scare the heck out of me. How much over were you? Do you recall?

I was told to check rear differential level and color so that the rear differential doesn't break down - hope this prevents any issues

I was not over weight but under by about 500 lbs. And as I stated before my truck was in great shape.
Changing / checking all the fluids is a good thing to do! Do what you can and drive accordingly.

By the way, I used to live near york and green in Bensenville.
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post

Since we are sharing war stories.... here's mine

Pulled an extremely overweight utility trailer all over the country with a 1979 Chevy C10 (half ton). Had to use overload springs and heavy duty bumper welded to the frame. Yep... blew up my differential.... at 175,000 miles.

Guess my point is that mechanical issues happen.. are they due to load abuses, normal wear/tear, or just bad luck? who knows.....

All we can do use some common sense, good maint, and keep going down the road.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:10 AM   #37

Well....30 years ago I used to get a bit hung up on all these weight numbers. Now, not so much. I have a problem with my current setup with 300 lbs over on rear TV axle if we load really heavy....full water etc. I'm under on GCVW and under on TV GVW, well under on vehicle towing capacity. Just can't quite get as much transferred from rear to front axle of the TV as I would like. I've done lots of adjustments on my WD hitch and TV even rides level within specs...about 1" lower over the rear axle. Tows like a dream....I make sure my cold tire pressure is at max on that rear axle and all is well.
2013 22 nights.2014 57 nights.2015 116 nights
2016. 96 nights 2017 72 nights
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'm sure glad those that are fine exceeding weight specs, aren't airline pilots.
Airlines aren't any better! We were on a runway once and had to wait for a longer runway because we were overloaded! They needed the longer runway to get up to speed!
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #39

A friend tows with a Toyota FJ40 right at or probably over the max rating. Even using Amsoil oil in the rear axle he is on his third set of gears in 300K miles. He probably only tows about 500 miles a year but it's is just more than the rear axle was designed to handle.

I'd say run what you have for now but start looking for a larger TV or smaller trailer if you don't want to deal with break downs.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #40

The OP is asking about GCVWR. As I stated earlier, that is dependent on the gear ratio and/or engine! And again, on my X the 3k lb difference in GCVWR is dependent on he gear ratio! 3.73 or 4.30!!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight