Old 06-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #61

I red all about them too , some have good luck with them but many don't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjerrard View Post
IF you are in an accident and your insurance finds out you were overweight do you think they will pay out?
Never say never but have yet to see an insurance adjuster at the Cat scales with a totaled TT and clip board and pen saying" yep! 10# over, claim DENIED!" Could happen but most likely will not. Guess I was lucky and not born paranoid. Don't worry about the extremes of what might happen, look for what will happen. Lawyers and adjusters are not that anal. most want to settle in an equitable manner to keep customer good will. I have been on both sides of the table.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Iíve been reading various RV Forums since 2002 and I have yet to hear of anyone having been denied their insurance claim because they were overweight. Nor have I heard of any insurance company impounding a truck and trailer so they could take it to a scale. In a really nasty accident to get the actual weight they would have to go out and weigh all the pieces. Sorry but I consider the insurance scare nothing more than a ďurban wives tale.Ē

Attachment 112493
X-5!!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #64

I'm thinking something like this .... What's the pros and cons between diesel and gas ??

Old 06-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #65
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Airlines aren't any better! We were on a runway once and had to wait for a longer runway because we were overloaded! They needed the longer runway to get up to speed!
Not quite the same stuff when comparing to TT/TV weights. Most airline aircraft will leave the gate at a weight for a certain runway. There are at least five things beyond the control of the airline that, if changed, will necessitate a different runway.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post

I'm thinking something like this .... What's the pros and cons between diesel and gas ??

There's a thread for that! Run what you brung! Do the maintance on tranny and rear every season til your ready to move up. You will be more likely to pop a hose and overheat verses tranny/axle problems with 15+ yrs on the van.
For what it's worth I pulled 18' land scaper with two 65" JD zero turns and other equipment with Toyota taco. That thing lived in Wisconsin most of its life. There was a factory recall for rusty frames that was never dealt with. It had max tongue weight of 500 lbs and max tow 4500 lbs. The tongue weight was in the neighborhood of at least 1500 lbs. Trailer weight unknowns but over 4500. Blew the rear threw a junkyard rear in it. Its still a daily driver (without trailer) at 300k miles but 85k with trailer.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #67

In one week we test, 180 miles one way, 11500 lbs vs spec'd 11000 Gvcr recommended. I will have all fluids filled and clean and watching trans temps. I'll make a call then I suppose. I did get a reply to see the trailer and it's only been Oates for a few hours , maybe I'm selling too cheap, lol. I'm thinking of them selling van and that will be 10k , hopefully that I can put down on pick up. Tt would come next year

Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #68
Camp Bartender

One thing to keep in mind regardless of the weight is that every time you hook a TT, 5er, Popup, etc. up to your tow rig, mechanical breakdown is always a possibility. I doubt 500 Lbs will take you over the top, but regardless of whatever you chose to do, No vehicle is bullet proof, but if you take good care of it, keep up on the maintenance, you'll be a lot further a head in the game than many other people are. If you enjoy camping, just be safe, I'm no expert, I can just say my opinion. I was tired of the white knuckles with the Avalanche, so I traded up to the Ram with a Bigger engine. Only YOU know for sure if you are safe on the road or not.

2015: 7 Trips, 20 Nights Camped
2016: 7 Trips, 23 Nights Camped
2017: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped (so far)
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #69

is anyone over exceeding their gross combination weight rating?

Rear differential fluid has been replaced with synthetic . The old stuff was a bit dirty, the magnet had some build up, gears are in good shape. Tommorrow the trans filter and 5 qts gets replaced and the motor oil as well. Keeping all my fluids, clean and full along with a cool trans should minimize a break down.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Airlines aren't any better! We were on a runway once and had to wait for a longer runway because we were overloaded! They needed the longer runway to get up to speed!
I was on a large airliner that taxied out but then returned to gate and asked for ONE volunteer to get off as we were overweight!

CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight