Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chpusmc View Post
Yes, the insurance will pay out in ALL accidents, up to the pre-defined limits DUI or not. You can always be sued out of an accident. If I reread what you said you said what I just said.

Just to the rest of the folks. Running heavier than your vehicle is rated for may not get you into criminal court if you get in an accident (guilty beyond a reasonable doubt), but you can get yourself into civil court, which requires FAR less evidence to convict. Civil courts are where the big lawsuits go.
there is still the burden of proof . if it was believed you crashed because you were over weight . whom ever would have to weight all contents and TT and assorted other things and have it all documented . then compare that to the TV and then prove it was the added weight that caused the accident .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
there is still the burden of proof . if it was believed you crashed because you were over weight . whom ever would have to weight all contents and TT and assorted other things and have it all documented . then compare that to the TV and then prove it was the added weight that caused the accident .
You don't have to prove it in civil court. The lawyer would show that the GVWR of the RV exceeded the GVWR rating of the truck using published manufacture specs. Then you would have to make a case that your weren't at your GVWR and convince the a jury that knows nothing about RVs that you weren't. After that it would be who the jury believes. In a civil motor vehicle accident there usually not just one factor that caused the accident and being over weight would just be one factor that has a percentage of fault assigned to it. This is from a neighbor that is a retired trial judge. Remember in civil case you just to convince more than half the jury to be found guilty in civil trial.

Now in a criminal court you probably right, they have to prove you are over weight but unless you destroyed the RV it could be easily weighed.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #103
Site Team

think we're drifting just a bit off topic here. This thread starting to go in circles.

Lets post on topic.

Thanks
Site team

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #104

So I replaced my tow vehicle as I may have mentioned already and took it today. Seems to handle it nice but gas was horrendous at 7.5 mpg. Another strange thing I noticed was that when I was using the cruise control it would jump from 2500 Rpm to 4000 rpm in the blink of eye doing about 65 mph. Not sure what caused this bit I took off the cruise control and when it happens again I just tapped the brake and it stopped. Aside from this and the gas usage , I'm pretty satisfied with the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
So I replaced my tow vehicle as I may have mentioned already and took it today. Seems to handle it nice but gas was horrendous at 7.5 mpg. Another strange thing I noticed was that when I was using the cruise control it would jump from 2500 Rpm to 4000 rpm in the blink of eye doing about 65 mph. Not sure what caused this bit I took off the cruise control and when it happens again I just tapped the brake and it stopped. Aside from this and the gas usage , I'm pretty satisfied with the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cruise control is meant to keep you at speed with in 1 or 2 mph at most . when your towing it will do what ever it can to keep you at your set speed . that why it kept downshifting to keep you at you set speed . i only use cruise when it's dead flat and no wind . other wise you'll do better with out it . cruise control will also cost you mpg
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight