Old 07-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #81

[QUOTE=mrpep;1246533]That can't be real... Or is it??

You can see it real clear when Desi was backing up the trailer in the driveway and took out the carport. However, I couldn't find a close-up picture of it.

Here is an old forum post I found looking for photos.

"The Long, Long Trailer" - Airstream Forums

aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
The weight Police said it couldn't/shouldn't be done but I did it anyway. Been all the up the ALCAN and all over Alaska without a problem. My calculations show I am 400# over on the trucks rear axle. Got the tires rotated yesterday as I did notice more wear on the rear tires than the front.
Every 5er I owned required tire rotation at about 10,000 as the weight on the rear axel caused tires to wear faster.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #83

Quote:
The weight Police said it couldn't/shouldn't be done but I did it anyway. Been all the up the ALCAN and all over Alaska without a problem. My calculations show I am 400# over on the trucks rear axle. Got the tires rotated yesterday as I did notice more wear on the rear tires than the front.
Glad to hear you made it home safely. Take care of yourself.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #84
Commercial Member

One of the things to consider is stopping distance. More total weight => longer stopping distance.

RE insurance co. Yes it may not happen often but I can tell you from first hand experience that sometimes a lot of claims will be made when trying to find someone to hold accountable.
I was retained as a Expert Witness in a single car fatal accident. There were many claims about the car and who modified it and its performance.
Details such as wheels, tire wear level, tire size and design were brought up.

I was able to establish that none of the claims were valid but it took extensive effort. I ended up buying a duplicate model car from same year production. Had to locate the out of production suspect tires and have their tread depth shaved to duplicate those involved in the accident. Found the exact model wheels on eBay. Even rented a race track, hired local fire dept to wet the track to duplicate the rain and two film crews for documentation. Some details such as examination of the brake light bulb filament fracture pattern were introduced in evidence.

IMO There would be no way to not show that exceeding GCWR would result in longer stopping distance which would mean you could be found guilty if the claim was that you did not stop in time to prevent you from hitting the other car or pedestrian.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #85

Quote:
Holly Molly you made past your driveway without a catastrophic failure I find that hard to believe. Sounds like you had a good trip that many only dream about making.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:20 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I was on a large airliner that taxied out but then returned to gate and asked for ONE volunteer to get off as we were overweight!

I have only flown on 2 trips. Dallas to Vegas and Dallas to Chicago. The Vegas trip on the first plane(Saab I think). The pilot was revving the engines and called back for a person to move to the other side of the plane. It was my first flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:53 AM   #87

So I did it, I upgraded to a better suited Tow Vehicle. I bought a used GMC Denali that has enough seating for my kids and a few friends while pulling my TT and even a larger one if I decided to upgrade.. Below are the specs:

Gross Combined Wt Rating 14,000 lbs

Gross Axle Wt Rating - Front 3550 lbs 3550.0 min 3550.0 max
Gross Axle Wt Rating - Rear 4000 lbs 4000.0 min 4000.0 max
Curb Weight - Front 2703 lbs 2703.0 min 2703.0 max
Curb Weight - Rear 2333 lbs 2333.0 min 2333.0 max
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Cap 7000 lbs 7000.0 min 7000.0 max
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 5000 lbs 5000.0 min 5000.0 max
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 500 lbs 500.0 min 500.0 max
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 8200 lbs 8200.0 min 8200.0 max
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 1000 lbs 1000.0 min 1000.0 max
uspension Type - Front Torsion Bar
Suspension Type - Rear 5-Link Coil
Spring Capacity - Front 3600 lbs 3600.0 min 3600.0 max
Spring Capacity - Rear 4000 lbs 4000.0 min 4000.0 max
Axle Type - Front Independent
Axle Type - Rear Semi-Floating
Axle Capacity - Front 3925 lbs 3925.0 min 3925.0 max
Axle Capacity - Rear 4000 lbs 4000.0 min 4000.0 max
Axle Ratio (:1) - Front 3.73 3.73 min 3.73 max
Axle Ratio (:1) - Rear 3.73 3.73 min 3.73 max

I am pleased and now only have to add the electric brake controller and re adjust my WD hitch. I will miss my van but Ill quickly fall in love with this thing.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #88
fmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Iíve been reading various RV Forums since 2002 and I have yet to hear of anyone having been denied their insurance claim because they were overweight. Nor have I heard of any insurance company impounding a truck and trailer so they could take it to a scale. In a really nasty accident to get the actual weight they would have to go out and weigh all the pieces. Sorry but I consider the insurance scare nothing more than a ďurban wives tale.Ē

Attachment 112493
X2
Old 07-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Iíve been reading various RV Forums since 2002 and I have yet to hear of anyone having been denied their insurance claim because they were overweight. Nor have I heard of any insurance company impounding a truck and trailer so they could take it to a scale. In a really nasty accident to get the actual weight they would have to go out and weigh all the pieces. Sorry but I consider the insurance scare nothing more than a ďurban wives tale.Ē

Attachment 112493
In a court case the judge finds the person guilty he will order restitution and guess who is the one that gets paid back first - yep the insurance company. No they canít deny to pay the claim but they can collect ever dime they paid out for the claim plus a reasonable about of damages/interest. No, you canít just declare bankruptcy on judgement and they can garish up to 65% or you pay till it is paid off.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
One of the things to consider is stopping distance. More total weight => longer stopping distance.

RE insurance co. Yes it may not happen often but I can tell you from first hand experience that sometimes a lot of claims will be made when trying to find someone to hold accountable.
I was retained as a Expert Witness in a single car fatal accident. There were many claims about the car and who modified it and its performance.
Details such as wheels, tire wear level, tire size and design were brought up.

I was able to establish that none of the claims were valid but it took extensive effort. I ended up buying a duplicate model car from same year production. Had to locate the out of production suspect tires and have their tread depth shaved to duplicate those involved in the accident. Found the exact model wheels on eBay. Even rented a race track, hired local fire dept to wet the track to duplicate the rain and two film crews for documentation. Some details such as examination of the brake light bulb filament fracture pattern were introduced in evidence.

IMO There would be no way to not show that exceeding GCWR would result in longer stopping distance which would mean you could be found guilty if the claim was that you did not stop in time to prevent you from hitting the other car or pedestrian.
Anybody that tows anything over weight or not that does not increase stopping distance is the problem not the weight or the TV . people need to learn to drive not assume they don't have to change their driving habits because they feel their TV is big enough to handle it .

it's stupid people like this that cause accidents . because you can stop your truck from 60 to 0 in 90 ft does not mean you can stop your truck and 10,000 lbs TT in the same distance at the same speed . if you don't take things like this into consideration then they don't belong behind a wheel let alone towing something

Tags
weight