Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

is bigger better "Equalizer 4 Point WDH"

Thinking about upgrading my Husky Round Bar WDH setup with a 14,000 Equalizer 4 Point WDH. Is bigger better? The 14,000 is a over kill, but does this hurt anything?

I have a Class V shank that purchased to get the required drop with my Husky WDH on my Ram. So I will be using my existing shank if and when I get a new WDH. I found that pplmotorhomes.com sells 14,000 Equalizer 4 Point WDH complete for $530.00, but you have to contact them for the price if you want it without the shank. I did, they want $625.36 plus shipping without the shank, What's the deal there almost $100.00 more for less product?

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

Getting a hitch rated higher is not a big deal just make sure you order the correct spring bars, your tongue weight is going to run 1000 - 1300 lbs.
As far as cost, a lot of things work that way if you don't order the "standard" boxed item.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #3

Keep in mind that equalizer hitches are matched with the weight bars.14k head will only take 1400 bars. So if you find to 1400 bars to stiff then you will basically need a new hitch or make shims so the 14k head will accept a lighter bars. I`d do your homework before buying a hitch to large .
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #4

If in doubt, go up. In fact, I would not recommend you be within 100 lbs of the TW limit for any WDH. Getting that close almost always gets reports of "porpoising" where the bars act like the springs that they are. The slightest oscillation in the road sets things into a sickening motion.

If you have 1100 lbs of TW (for example), skip over the 1200, and get the 1400. No, it's not too much. My TW is in the 600-625 range. If Equalizer made an 800lb unit, I'd own it. Since they don't, I got the 1000lb version, on recommendations from several sites. I can't be more happy with it.

There is much more chance of problems being underrated, than overrated (within reason). I'm sure the ride would be pretty harsh if I were to try a 1200 lbs kit.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #5

Why not just go with the 1500# Blue Ox hitch? It doesn't use friction ( like the Equalizer) and it's soooo much quitter than the equalizer.
Here's a video of it:

Good luck
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #6

How much does the 1500lbs Blue Ox cost? If more htan $625, then that would be 1 reason.

The Blue Ox site compares the SwayPro to "50 year old technology with clunky steel cams or friction sway controls". It does not actually say that it does not use friction. And note that the term "friction sway control" refers to the old stand-alone sway bars, NOT anything used in an integrated sway control WDH like the 4pt Equal-I-zer.

In fact, looking at the pictures, the Blue Ox looks like the E2 2pt WDH from Progress, but they use a more flexible spring bar, made of spring-steel. The only means of sway control in the SwayPro is whatever friction is created between the bars and the head. The geometry looks no different than the Equalizer, but they have no additional friction control at the rear.

I can see the benefit of the spring-steel bars. They flex a certain amount, and lift a certain amount, such that you don't have to mess with spacer washers to make adjustments. That's nice.

I'm not trying to pooh-pooh the Blue Ox. But it seems billb800 is saying the Equalizer is inferior. Can somebody tell me how the Blue Ox is supposed to be superior to the Equal-I-zer? I don't see it how the Blue Ox would control sway any better than the E2, and certainly not better than the 4pt Equalizer.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer