Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #21

I've used the E-Q on two trailers before going to a 5th wheel. Based on your weights, I would go with the 1000/10000lb hitch, more than that would happen some natural "give" that needs to happen, (bumps in roads)
If I were ever to go back to a bumper pull trailer, I would go with the E-Q again.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfkef View Post
Agree that the 10000 lb equalizer will work well.
You need to look at the hight of the camper frame. On my 27rr the frame would hit the hitch head when turning, a common problem.

When they or you set up your hitch you may need a taller ball to clear the hitch head. Then, bent down the loop that the chains hook to to give you more room.

Follow the directions for set up and make sure the ball nut clears the arm sockets.

I needed warranty work on mine. EQ told the dealer to take the parts off a new hitch, and "get me out the door and on the road".
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #23

I have the 1400/14K version of the 4 point Equalizer. I've run many thousands of miles with it. Most of those are with the bracket jackets and the ball and sway bar pivot area lubricated. No noise when kept lubed. Recently I began running it with no lube and can tell a difference in the amount of sway control. It's physically impossible to NOT have more friction(sway control) when you don't have the friction points lubricated. There is obviously more wear on the hitch when not lubricated. If you choose not to lubricate, simply uncouple the sway bars at the front entrance of the campground and proceed to your campsite in "load carrying mode". No noise and no risk of having the bars in a bind if your campsite isn't perfectly level.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #24

Good advice all around. We used our Equalizer Hitch for more than 12 years on our 7400 pound Komfort TT. They do groan and pop a bit on tight turns, but that means the hitch is working as designed. Only maintenance we had to do in all those years was adjust the height of the "L" brackets on the trailer frame due to years of wear from friction. Had lots of years of service left in it when we upgraded to a 5er.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #25

Hitch lub

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I also use the "bracket jackets" and the Equal-i-zer lube on the hitch head but I use Vaseline for the hitch ball. Before lubricating and using the bracket jackets it was very loud (and embarrassing) when turning through campgrounds but now its much quieter. Since they are all sold by Equal-i-zer I figure they are perfectly acceptable and I haven't noticed any significant reduction in sway control.
I use Astroglide on mine. Very smooth
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
I bought a Blue OX Sway Pro about $600 for my trailer I use to have a $495 generic (Camco I think) one that I got at Camping world with a Sway control. It was worthless sold it for $250 just to get rid of it. You can't go wrong with a E-Q hitch or the blue ox. You can also back up with the blue ox no problem. no popping or noise.
Mel
Old 12-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #27

The one I have can handle a tongue weight of 1,000 lbs and a trailer weight of up to 10,000 lbs.. My TT is a 2018 Rockwood 2604ws Ultra Lite and my TV is a 2015 Chevy Colorado Z71. I had both the TT and TV weighed with everything we travel with, and I am running about 60lbs below my maximum on hitch weight and 200lbs below my maximum pull weight. That being said, I have taken it up and down I-75 numerous times between Ocala and Naples... through the traffic of Tampa and Sarasota, and all the construction along the way. I have had stiff crosswinds, heavy tractor trailer traffic and the occasional class A that likes to do 85mph pulling a toad. I get a little "push", the same as you get with any vehicle, but no sway. I will swear by the equalizer hitch. We feel safe when we are on the road.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #28

Equalizer DWH

I paid $425 a couple of years ago for mine at RVWholesalers in OH.
So good I recommended same (1000/10,000 lb) to my friends who have all been as happy as I have with theirs! Get it!
LaddDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Yup, that would work too. I would suggest not lubing the ball with Astroglide just incase you slip and fall on the hitch while unhooked.
"Well Doc, what happened was"..
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #30

Got one available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggs View Post
Hey guys, I had my deal on a 27dbk go south. Now I got a new one going with a little local dealer for the same unit. Thinking about ditching the pro hitch set up that come with it and going with the Equal-i-zer. Is it worth the extra $. Also what model (set up would I need)? It 700 lbs hitch weight and 6500 trailer.
I hope I am not violating any etiquette issue but just wanted to say that I loved my Equalizer. I used it less than one year and made about four trips with it. I upgraded my RV to a fifth wheel and have the Equalizer sitting in my store room. It is for sale for $200 if you pay shipping. It is in perfect shape and includes all parts and instruction manuals. Just letting you know.
hollandsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
I don't even know where you would buy that, but have fun and be careful you don't hurt yourself or no one hurts you with it...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandsam View Post
I hope I am not violating any etiquette issue but just wanted to say that I loved my Equalizer. I used it less than one year and made about four trips with it. I upgraded my RV to a fifth wheel and have the Equalizer sitting in my store room. It is for sale for $200 if you pay shipping. It is in perfect shape and includes all parts and instruction manuals. Just letting you know.
We're in N. Fl. and moved from a Wolf(?) to a class C. Not sure of the weight capacity but as Hollandsam stated we will part with it for $200 + shipping
Jane1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #33
StlClay

Worth every penny. Using for three years

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equal-i-zer, hitch