Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #1

Is leveling dual axles harder?

My new pop up has two axles. Up until this point I carried a variety of wood pieces about 12" long that I would place under the tire to level side to side. I would like to continue to do this. I would rather carry two small pieces of the same thickness than 4' boards of different thicknesses.

My question is how does one know which tire on a dual axle may be under more weight? Is it possible for one tire to be higher than the other and they only appear to be touching the ground with equal force because the other is flexing down on the springs? So if I was to place separate boards under each tire, would it raise the right amount?

I am not sure if I am explaining this properly. Maybe I am making too much of it but a pop up does need to be level in order for the roof to raise and lower properly. TT and HTT can get away with a lot more than pop up owners can.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

I use boards long enough to be under both tires.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #3

If you can squeeze in 4ft long boards, you should be fine

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #4

This is how we Level! Youroo!!Quick & easy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2474.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	63682  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
This is how we Level! Youroo!!Quick & easy!
What is that? Do you go back and forth and have a second person continue to wedge the other tire until it is level? And it is supposed stay that way? It would seem to very difficult to creep it up that slant without giving it too much gas and then of course stopping at the right time when someone tells you to stop. It seems like it would be very easy to either overshoot or slide back down the slope.

Is this possible alone?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 09-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

I just pull on the site use a level & see how many 2xs I need & pull up on them. Usually the same under both wheels. To me it would be easier to level a two axle trailer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I too would be interested in hearing youroo's method. Seems like it could be a good one once you get a system down.

Unless you're using one of those BAL Light Trailer levelers (single axle only), then I don't think you will any noticeable difference with 2 axles. You'll just need more or longer blocks of your choice for placing under tires.

I currently use 5'x8" pieces of rubber stall mat...indestructible! I also mounted a Hoppy level to the pin box, viewable through the rear view mirror. Sometimes just moving a tad can eliminate the need for levelers altogether.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
What is that? Do you go back and forth and have a second person continue to wedge the other tire until it is level? And it is supposed stay that way? It would seem to very difficult to creep it up that slant without giving it too much gas and then of course stopping at the right time when someone tells you to stop. It seems like it would be very easy to either overshoot or slide back down the slope.

Is this possible alone?

Vin.
As I posted (We) as with Any Ramp situation takes (2) people for (Safety and Efficiency)! After placing a level on the side of unit my (Wife)knows how far up the 1st ramp to go,she tells me to stop and places the 2nd ramp! I release the brake and the unit rolls to level and is chocked at the same time! The other types and methods of (Under dual Tires) leveling require the same effort of (2) or a lot of (in and out) of T/V!
My wife can give a Very detailed class in our method of (Leveling) in 2Min! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:28 AM   #9

ok. Thanks youroo. I thought that is how it would have to happen. It sounds like you and your wife make a great team. My wife is not very good at these types of things. We look like the couple that is shouting at each other when we are not on the same page. I cannot even back up to the camper to hitch up with her help. It is so much easier for me to just back up and hitch it up myself. Leveling is not much different. It is just something I need to figure out myself.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 09-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #10

Here is what we have converted to using. It will take two sets to handle tandem axles. But once they are in place it not only levels things out, it also blocks the tires in place.

http://www.amazon.com/Andersen-3604-...eveling+system

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #11

I use these and the work great. The ones I have are a little different and I can't seem to find them but one is for side to side and the other is for front to rear. The one that is side to side is pretty darn accurate. Which ever number is at the center of the bubble is how many inches that side needs to come up. Depending on how close the trailer is and the surface I am parking it on I will sometime push gravel out to lower one side. I use the stack-able plastic blocks unless I need to come up 3+ inches then I will build a small ramp with boards. I do use one axle most of the time though.

With these levels it is a one man operation if need be. I just put the camper where I want it and then look at the level. It tells me how much I need to come up.

Bubble Level RV Travel Lower Trailer camper Truck 5th Fifth Wheel Vehicle | eBay
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

A lot of people here (myself included) use some form of the 'Lego Block' levellers. I use these ones (RV Leveling Blocks, Set of 10 - Four Corners D11-133 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World) because they often seem to be on sale when I'm in Camping World. Other's use the ones from Lynx (the orange ones).

This way, you don't have to keep long boards on hand, but instead build an overlapping stack of blocks to drive up that will be long enough for both wheels. I still keep a couple of 5' boards to put under the wheels for those rare times I'm on soft ground, but for raising a side to be level I use the blocks. Even when using the boards in soft ground I then place the blocks on top of the board on the low side to do my levelling.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #13

I always have boards I put under my tires, both sides get a 2"x10"x4' then if not level depending on how far off either another 2"x10"x4' on the low side or a 5/4"x 6"x4' to level it. Just back up to where you want it then put the boards down pull forward onto them and ck if its off ad to the low side.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #14

I have use the Anderson levelers 4 times since the beginning of summer. They are worth the money recommend them. They are easy to use.
ezawacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #15

this is what I use to check level, and I have a 5 ft 2 by 12 with a piece of aluminum bolted to the bottom to keep it from splitting on the 5ft`er it has a lift of 3inch and when I do not need that much i also have a set made up just for each tire with a 1 1/2 lift
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	level (1).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	64165  

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, leveling