Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #1

Is my wdh upgrade worth it?

Hi there
I tow a 6000lb TT that is roughly 25-26ft in length on a half ton.

I currently have the husky round bars with 1 sway bar and looking to upgrade to the husky centerline ts. Will there be any improvement on sway control? Thanks in advance.
Gerogesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't know that much about husky BUT any WDH with integrated sway control, will be much better at sway control, than an old tech chains and friction bar WDH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #3

I agree with Bikendan. The integrated sway is a very nice feature as opposed to the separate sway controllers.

The Husky Centerline TS is also a good hitch. There's been plenty of discussion on this forum of Pros and Cons on it.

My only suggestion is know your full, loaded trailer tongue weight prior to buying the hitch. I bought mine based on the 6000-8000 GVW of the trailer and the bars ended up being too small. After buying the 800-1200 tongue weight bars, the trailer rode much better behind the truck.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #4

In the beginning, we had a basic round bar setup without sway control. Did not tow the greatest.

On our current 29' TT we have a Reese DC WDH. I love the self-centering action of the cams. We have zero sway but have also done a few other things to control it. Because I love the DC so much, everyone should have one!

Any of the WDHs with integrated sway control should be an improvement.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #5

I found my husky round bars with sway to be adequate but removing and remembering to remove that bar is annoying when reversing. Im getting mixed results about which system is quieter.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
D W

The question is: Do you have sway now? Sway more often than not is a product of improper weights and balances. If you have sway now you should try to figure why you have sway before throwing a bunch of benjamins at it. Low tongue weight, improperly loaded RV or tires on both RV and TV are a few of the causes. A new hitch with sway control may mask the sway, but the stresses will still be there, on both the RV and the TV. Remember what Mr. Newton said, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I don't know that much about husky BUT any WDH with integrated sway control, will be much better at sway control, than an old tech chains and friction bar WDH.
I hear this often but, why would the integrated sway control be much better at controlling sway than the old-school friction brake type control? Friction is friction, correct?
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
The question is: Do you have sway now? Sway more often than not is a product of improper weights and balances. If you have sway now you should try to figure why you have sway before throwing a bunch of benjamins at it. Low tongue weight, improperly loaded RV or tires on both RV and TV are a few of the causes. A new hitch with sway control may mask the sway, but the stresses will still be there, on both the RV and the TV. Remember what Mr. Newton said, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction".
I dont really have any sway other than towing in really high winds or following a semi carrying an irregular object such as car transport semis.

The main reason for the upgrade is the convenience of not having to worry about removing the friction bar when reversing but having more sway control is also welcoming.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #9

I’ve been pleased with the Husky Centerline TS hitch. The Centerline TS provides very effective, precise weight distribution -- better than my previous hitch, a Hensley Arrow. The Centerline TS is a "four-point" sway control system; that is, sway control is provided by tension in the hitch head combined with the friction of trunnion bars on sway control brackets. I have never experienced trailer sway with the Centerline TS. Backing up with the sway bars engaged is not a problem; however this hitch will definitely groan and pop especially on turns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Husky Centerline TS_LI (3).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	565.4 KB
ID:	207003  

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #10
Mopar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
I hear this often but, why would the integrated sway control be much better at controlling sway than the old-school friction brake type control? Friction is friction, correct?
friction is friction... but amount of friction matters.

Also The reese Dual cam setup uses more than friction, because it requires flexing the bars to get it to turn. I also love my reese DC as someone else mentioned here
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go West View Post
I’ve been pleased with the Husky Centerline TS hitch. The Centerline TS provides very effective, precise weight distribution -- better than my previous hitch, a Hensley Arrow. The Centerline TS is a "four-point" sway control system; that is, sway control is provided by tension in the hitch head combined with the friction of trunnion bars on sway control brackets. I have never experienced trailer sway with the Centerline TS. Backing up with the sway bars engaged is not a problem; however this hitch will definitely groan and pop especially on turns.
Do you know what the torque is on the hitch head where the trunnion bar attaches?
Old 06-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerogesin View Post
Do you know what the torque is on the hitch head where the trunnion bar attaches?
download the manual and it's there, allot of torque
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerogesin View Post
The vertical bolts that create the pivot point for the trunnion bars need to be torqued to 150 ft lbs. (Page 25, 2nd Bullet point in "After 500 Miles")

The 3/4" bolts that hold the entire head assembly to the shank need to be torqued to 380 ft lbs. (Page 11, Step 12)

HUSKY CENTERLINE TS INSTRUCTION MANUAL

Old 06-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #14

Thank you so much.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #15

Although I have pulled 5ers for many years I keep an Equalizer 4 point and 2 sets of bars in case I need to help someone. If upgrading get the best. my
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #16

I've not owned an Equalizer so I can't speak to its capabilities. However I will say again concerning the Husky Centerline TS: the Centerline provides very effective, precise weight distribution -- better than my previous hitch, a Hensley Arrow. You can't get much better than this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck Only CAT Scale.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	207065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck - Trailer CAT Scale.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	207066  

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Although I have pulled 5ers for many years I keep an Equalizer 4 point and 2 sets of bars in case I need to help someone. If upgrading get the best. my

Why is the Equalizer 4's superior? Seems the real difference is price.

Just curious...

Old 06-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Why is the Equalizer 4's superior? Seems the real difference is price.

Just curious...
I've had my 4pt Equal-i-zer for the past 13 years and I still love it. It's easy to setup and take down.
Is it superior to others? That's not for me to say, as there are numerous other great WDHs with integrated sway control.
But I will say my Equal-i-zer is definitely superior to the old tech WDHs with add-on friction sway bars.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #19

WDH

I have not tried the Husky, but have had 3 others prior to my Equalizer. Far superior to friction bars. Better than the 2, 4 bar set-ups we had on other trailers. Easier to hook-up, less sway, less vibration transferred to TV. I am sure there are other great ones out there. I see the Equalizer as the standard for reasonable priced units. Parts are available from Amazon. I have pulled, 15K w/ mine and other than 30 MPH+ cross winds , still feel comfortable towing. I am pulling Flagstaff 27.5 VSL- 7300 lb. trailer w/ Tundra. As others have said, make sure you get an accurate tongue and match your bars to that.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #20

WDH

Accurate "tongue" weight-OOPS.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade