Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Is Sunseeker 3170DS pre-wired for Supplemental Braking System

HI All,

I just ordered a Add a Brake Supplemental Braking System by Roadmaster for Camping World and started reviewing the manual online. That's when I noticed the included dash light and buzzer that need to be wired from the back of the coach to the dash. The manual also mentioned that some coaches are prewired for this type of installation, so with that bit of information I started reviewing the manuals that I have with the coach and have not found any mention of being prewired for this application. I found no postings about this topic so I started one. Any one know if Forestriver prewired coaches for supplemental braking in towed vehicles? I have a 2014 (2013) Sunseeker 3170DS

Thanks in advance,

ps the cold weather is keeping me from sliding under and looking for wires.

Jim182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
I just went through this exercise on my 2013 Forester 3051S E-450. Yes, Ford prewired your RV for a 7-pin trailer connection. Forest River adds to Fords wire harness above the fuel tank and runs it out to the hitch. I was told I could buy a factory brake controller (plugs in behind dash above radio) and Ford could reprogram the ECU for the factory controller to work. I took my RV to Ford for the reprogramming but they couldn't get the dash instrumentation cluster to display the setting of the controller. The cluster is not setup to use a factory controller, even after attempts to reprogram the ECU in the personality sector of the ECU. According to the trailer plug tester, we were getting power to the trailer brake connector on the rear hitch but there was no way to read the brake settings on the dash. This tells me the wire harness is wired correctly and all you need is a pigtail to interface your aftermarket controller to the stock brake controller behind the dash located above the radio.

To use the stock harness you'll need to add a couple fuses and relays in the fuse box located under the hood, on the driver's side. Next, you'll need an aftermarket brake controller and a pigtail to interface the controller to the factory harness.

Finally, you can slave in new wires from the controller to the trailer connector located on the hitch. I have a pretty factory brake controller in the dash (looks pretty but doesn't work) and a Prodigy II plugged into the factory harness in the dash using a pigtail interface cable. I don't recall the part number but you can google it online.

Choice is yours....

2016 Days Camping so Far: 24
2013 3051S Forester
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Sorry I didn't explain everything, I am setting up to tow a Honda Fit using a Supplemental Braking System that has a indicator light and buzzer to be installed in the dash of my coach. The turn indicators and brake lights on the Fit are connected to a flat 4 wire plug in the grill, and the coach has a 7 wire round plug.Planning on using a 7 wire to 4 wire converter. Hoping to use the 12 volt hot to trickle charge the Fit battery while in transit. Never thought to use any wire in the 7 wire plug to connect dash light or buzzer.

Jim182 is offline   Reply With Quote

3170, sunseeker