Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #21
Some guy in back...

Smile The big orange hitch probably does it better than anything

I flipped a 33 'TT several years ago and when we got our next trailer, I found a used Hensley, installed and and was amazed at how secure and stable the new, heavier, taller and longer rig felt (same tow vehicle).
I sold the hitch with the trailer when the time came and when we downsized to a smaller, lighter trailer, I put an average WD hitch and friction bar on it and went about enjoying my new trailer. It was almost as stable and almost as problem free as the Hensley.
Our next trailer was bigger, almost 35' (same tow rig) and I did not have the time to put on the used Hensley I picked up from a friend (he had liked my earlier Hensley, bought a new one, used it and then decided to try the ProPride, so I had his Hensley).
I was amazed the first time I towed the new trailer with my old WD hitch and have continued to use the garden variety WD hitch without anti-sway for almost 3 years and just completed a 2100 mile trip from San Francisco to St. Louis which included heavy weather and a "china bomb" experience.
I feel the Hensley is the best hitch you can buy. Depending on your tow rig, your trailer, your tires and your loading, It will likely improve your towing experience. So, you make your choices, spend your money and deal with the results.

(BTW, my buddy who went from a WD to a Hensley and then to a ProPride? He decided the ProPride was a little too heavy & finicky for his application and went back to an Equalizer and is happy)

YMMV-Have fun
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #22
CGK
Camping with Labs

Love the Hensley Arrow

Is the Hensley Arrow worth the money? As others have noted that depends on many factors; but I would not tow a TT without one. Before the Hensley Arrow was available, towing was a white-knuckle experience, and we experienced serious trailer sway in those days; with both the dual cam weight distribution bars and the friction sway control. So when the Hensley Arrow became available, my wife insisted we buy one for our TT. By then, I was towing with a decent TV, and I was skeptical about the additional cost of the Hensley. What a difference that hitch made! Towing became as enjoyable as everyday driving, with less fatigue and worry at the end of a 500 to 600 mile travel day. My current tow vehicle is the best we've ever had; and since we only use it for towing, the truck only has 103K miles so far. The Hensley even makes a difference with this 3/4 ton Beast. We are on our fourth TT, three of them purchased after Hensley went into the business; and our beloved Hensley Arrow has made the move to each trailer. The current TT is about 37' long (end to end), 8350 lbs dry weight and 9400 lbs loaded. Tongue weight is 1420 lbs (including the weight of the hitch). The Hensley works great with this set-up, as it has with every other previous set-up. I'm convinced the difference is more noticeable with lighter weight TVs and longer TTs, but I am grateful for it every day I'm on the road and a big tractor trailer rig blows by us (causing no sway at all!). And for the record, Hensley customer service is nothing short of fantastic - really great little company. We know there are other good hitches on the market, but we are delighted with this one. So for us, the Hensley Arrow is definitely worth the money; and if you decide to go that route, consider a fully guaranteed refurbished Hensley Arrow. Good luck, and safe travels.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #23
Lorenc

Is Hensley worth the money

Here’s my two cents worth, I have a Reese Dual Cam HP on my 8200# TT with a F150 SC 4x4 3.5EB and I love it. No sway, very stable feeling that the trailer is following perfectly. Just drove from North of Detroit to Venice Florida on I75 right through the mountains with not a lick of trouble. I drive 67 mph with the cruise on most of the time and big trucks or Class A’S go flying by and I barely notice. Was $800.00 installed. New LT Michelins on TV and new GY Endurance on TT.
lorenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #24

I’m on the fence with either trading our 831BHDS for a fiver or purchasing the Hensley/Propride. I actually had a Propride on order at the beginning of last season but got cold feet prior to shipping so I canceled the order. My trailer is terrible to tow & I have an F350 diesel, regardless it’s just not stable behind us. Coincidentally I met someone at a campground last year with the same camper & same vehicle, he asked me if I had as much trouble as he did towing the unit so we both shared some tips & tricks but I walked away from the conversation wondering if I should just buy a fifth wheel, take the financial hit & cut my losses

So for me at least I do think that the Hensley/Propride units are worth the money if it provides a safer more relaxing tow even though I haven’t purchased one yet. Unfortunately with most of these threads you end up with people who have never owned one stating that it’s a waste of money, surprises me since people rush to judgement with zero actual experience. The naysayers then say since the owner spent so much money they have no choice but to like it, again no experience just more assumptions. I see people towing unsafe all the time, I read threads here & elsewhere asking do I need a WDH? I have a 50k truck pulling a 30k trailer but can I save a few pennies by not buying the proper hitch? That makes zero sense to me, buy what’s safe, IMO for most campers over 25’ you need a proper WDH with some form of sway control, I seriously doubt the area to save money on is with a hitch but that’s just me. Just because plenty of people do it doesn’t mean they do it correctly or that it’s safe. Instead I’ll keep reading these threads with my Reese Strait Line DC unit wondering if the grass is truly greener on the other side....
fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Is the Hensley Arrow worth the money? As others have noted that depends on many factors; but I would not tow a TT without one.

Before the Hensley Arrow was available, towing was a white-knuckle experience, and we experienced serious trailer sway in those days; with both the dual cam weight distribution bars and the friction sway control. .
If true, you had a problem with setup. Towing with a properly setup WDH on a matched truck/trailer combo should NEVER be a "white knuckle experience".
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post
If true, you had a problem with setup. Towing with a properly setup WDH on a matched truck/trailer combo should NEVER be a "white knuckle experience".
YES! A real proper TV not just making the numbers. That means properly inflated tires to match the load as well. A WDH with sway control like the Equalizer 4 point with proper bars If truck and hitch properly set up there should not be a problem. Why not just go to a 5er and eliminate the concern?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #27

Using the Hensley Arrow vs standard wdh

I have been towing TT since the late 1960's with cars and trucks. Back when I started towing most trailer dealers built custom hitches for the vehicle and equalizer bars made by others including Reese and EZ-Lift. The EZ-Lift folks often added friction accessories if needed while the Reese camp didn't need anything else. Mostly I used EZ-lift setups until I started towing with a 2004 3/4 Ton Suburban 8.1L towing a 1987 Avion 32s (similar to an Airstream only larger). For some reasion we could never get the setup right on the 2004 or 2006 3/4 Ton Suburban. The Avion towed fine with the same setup on the 3/4 Ton 6.2 L Suburban. My wife wanted to help me with the driving since we are both getting older so I bought and installed the Hensley Arrow. We never looked back. Totally eliminated the sway. We now tow the Avion with a 2014 1/2 Ton Ram pickup with the Hensley Arrow and a Prodigy brake controller when we are not traveling in our 2012 Forest River Solera Class C.

In my opinion, if you are having difficulties with your current setup or if you are interested in sharing driving with a less experienced driver go for the Hensley or Pro Pride or even the Reese if the trailer is not too large.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #28
Was

For me the Hensley is worth every cent. They have a 60 day money back guarantee, if you buy it and don’t think it’s worth the money send it back for a refund. It took me about 15 minutes of highway driving to know I made the right choice . The difference is unbelievable. The reason everyone that has a Hensley or propride loves them is because they are that good, not because we spent a bunch of money on them. Believe me if I had spent this much money and wasn’t happy I’d be letting you all know. They eliminate sway, it’s just that simple. Best camping purchase I ever made.
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #29

Pro-Pride

I purchased a 30' travel trailer with a ProPride hitch. 3.5 years of towing and love it! Seeing other setups going down the road swaying and darting all over the road only to see they have a sway setup that is not working like it should, undersized or no sway system at all!!!
I"ll stay with the ProPride!! So you pay $35,000 (or more) for a travel trailer and $65,000 (or more) for you beloved tow vehicle...so the price for a ProPride is squat diddly to protect your most valuable asset your Family!!!! and yourself.
Regg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #30

Having a well-matched tow vehicle and trailer, and properly setting up the weight distribution hitch of your choice, are far more important factors than whether you choose a Hensley, Sway Pro or Equalizer hitch.

Based on my own experience, there is little difference in towing with a Hensley Arrow (six years experience) and a Husky Centerline TS which I currently use. Properly set up, both hitches provide a safe, relaxed towing experience.

I've never experienced trailer sway with either hitch.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #31

I've been researching these 2 hitches heavily for a while now debating that very question: is it worth it?
It's difficult because 80% of the time towing my 33' Rockwood is decent with my E4. But is the extra 1 time cost worth that 20% gain? I'm currently trending yes. Here is why, based on my research.
First recommendation is get a 3/4 ton. Well there is a long list of negatives that come with that over my current f150 max tow. Cliffs note version is significantly more money than the hitch and no guarantee it will kill sway. Plenty of forums with people pulling 30'+ with 3/4 ton and having issues.
Next recommendation is upgrade tires to LT and possibly suspension. Again hit and miss on the feedback on how much difference it would make. I will go LT when I reshoe in 10k miles or less.
Last recommendation is a Hensley or propride. One thing is consistent here: I can not find a post on any rv forum I am on claiming it didn't eliminate their sway. It feels like a pretty safe upgrade investment for me.
gone: 2013 F150, standard Tow
2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Propride hitch
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #32

Happy

Happy to hear that everyone is having great experience with their selection of Trailer Hitches!
Regg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go West View Post
Having a well-matched tow vehicle and trailer, and properly setting up the weight distribution hitch of your choice, are far more important factors than whether you choose a Hensley, Sway Pro or Equalizer hitch.

Based on my own experience, there is little difference in towing with a Hensley Arrow (six years experience) and a Husky Centerline TS (almost one year experience) which I currently use. Properly set up, both hitches provide a safe, relaxed towing experience.

I think the difference here worth noting is the length of your trailers vs others. With something under 30' I'm sure most decent 4 point hitches would do great. I've towed my parents 26' minI lite and it's completely different from my 33' using the same equalizer hitch. If I was in the 26-29' total length range the E4 would probably be the ticket.
gone: 2013 F150, standard Tow
2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Propride hitch
Old 02-04-2019, 11:48 PM   #34

I have had a Hensley hitch for 13 years. Tow vehicke: 2004 Silverado 2500 3/4 ton pulling a 2006 Flagstaff 31RLSS travel trailer.
I survived a catastrophic accident in 2005 when I was sideswiped by a OTR truck which swerved into my lane, caused me to jackknife and flip the tow vehicle while pulling my first 2005 31RLSS. The trailer was totaled.
I always could manage a little sway in light to moderate crosswinds. After the accident, I began to think that it was certainly worth 10% of the cost of the travel trailer to eliminate sway and provide protection to my family.
I've driven through 45-50 mph crosswinds during intense thunderstorms without feeling any sway.

I don't believe the Hensley or a Propride would have definitely allowed me to recover from the bump from the Tractor Trailer, but it would have give me a fighting chance!

The Hensley is worth every penny to me!
Danoliver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post
I've been researching these 2 hitches heavily for a while now debating that very question: is it worth it?

It's difficult because 80% of the time towing my 33' Rockwood is decent with my E4. But is the extra 1 time cost worth that 20% gain? I'm currently trending yes. Here is why, based on my research.

First recommendation is get a 3/4 ton. Well there is a long list of negatives that come with that over my current f150 max tow. Cliffs note version is significantly more money than the hitch and no guarantee it will kill sway. Plenty of forums with people pulling 30'+ with 3/4 ton and having issues.

Next recommendation is upgrade tires to LT and possibly suspension. Again hit and miss on the feedback on how much difference it would make. I will go LT when I reshoe in 10k miles or less.

Last recommendation is a Hensley or propride. One thing is consistent here: I can not find a post on any rv forum I am on claiming it didn't eliminate their sway. It feels like a pretty safe upgrade investment for me.

Yes the Hensley definitely eliminates sway. But I believe every feature of the Hensley is superior to any other hitch. Except for of course the very similar pro pride. Both do everything better. No more pulling out heavy steel bars, quicker easy hookups, dead silent no binding turns, more wd adjustment, better anti theft (most criminals don’t know what they are), and more space between TV and trailer.

I’ll never tow without one again.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
Yes the Hensley definitely eliminates sway. But I believe every feature of the Hensley is superior to any other hitch. Except for of course the very similar pro pride. Both do everything better. No more pulling out heavy steel bars, quicker easy hookups, dead silent no binding turns, more wd adjustment, better anti theft (most criminals don’t know what they are), and more space between TV and trailer.

I’ll never tow without one again.
The Hensley Arrow does provide an edge in eliminating sway over systems which control sway such as the Equalizer or Husky Centerline.

However, anti-sway systems such as Equalizer are inherently more efficient at weight distribution because the hitch-head angle in these systems is widely adjustable.

The Hensley Arrow hitch-head angle is fixed. The Hensley has one plane of adjustment for weight distribution: by tightening or loosening the spring bar jacks.

In addition to the adjustable hitch-head, four-point systems can be fine-tuned for weight distribution by raising or lowering the trunnion support brackets. With these design features, the Husky Centerline has provided more effective and precise weight distribution than I ever achieved with the Hensley Arrow.

I cannot address the weight distribution properties of the Pro-Pride as I have not used one.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #37

The PP improves the He by adding the adjustable tilting head. Then the screw jacks are basically the same as the adjustable brackets on friction systems but are better IMO because you can make easy fine adjustments on the fly without removing bolts.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbunch1630 View Post
I've got a 30ft toy hauler now with the 4 point equalizer hitch and it seems to work good, we are upgrading to a longer toy hauler, 37ft long. We have a trip planned to Sturgis this August, about 3300 miles round trip. I've been thinking about going with the Hensley since my old hitch is being sold with the old camper, but they are almost 4 times as expensive as the 4 point equalizer or blue ox, are they so much better.

Sturgis is a long trip and it would be nice to not have to worry about cross winds or big trucks blowing by.

Thanks for the advice

IMO it is. $$ vs safety of my loved ones, no ?? Besides, when your done with it, they will buy it back, who else does that[emoji4]
2ondago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #39

Quote:
The Hensley Arrow does provide an edge in eliminating sway over systems which control sway such as the Equalizer or Husky Centerline.

However, anti-sway systems such as Equalizer are inherently more efficient at weight distribution because the hitch-head angle in these systems is widely adjustable.

The Hensley Arrow hitch-head angle is fixed. The Hensley has one plane of adjustment for weight distribution: by tightening or loosening the spring bar jacks.

In addition to the adjustable hitch-head, four-point systems can be fine-tuned for weight distribution by raising or lowering the trunnion support brackets. With these design features, the Husky Centerline has provided more effective and precise weight distribution than I ever achieved with the Hensley Arrow.

I cannot address the weight distribution properties of the Pro-Pride as I have not used one.

I actually prefer the one plane of adjustment. It makes the tow vehicle and trailer feel more like a single unified vehicle than my old wd systems. A ball hitch can pivot left, right, up, down, and any direction for that matter. That’s why a wd ball hitch needs washers to attain the proper wd angles. With a single plane you don’t have to worry about any of that. It’s just simpler.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #40

Quote:

Based on my own experience, there is little difference in towing with a Hensley Arrow (six years experience) and a Husky Centerline TS which I currently use. Properly set up, both hitches provide a safe, relaxed towing experience.

Your right. Before our Hensley I had our old hitch dialed in. However the one thing you can not guarantee with any other hitch, beside PP or Hensley, is no sway. We upgraded due to a couple unsettling sway incidents that seem to come from no where while on the highway. Since the Hensley the only thing that moves the TT is wind over 30. Then it is not sway, it is side push.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley