Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2019, 06:49 AM   #1

Is the Hensley worth money

I've got a 30ft toy hauler now with the 4 point equalizer hitch and it seems to work good, we are upgrading to a longer toy hauler, 37ft long. We have a trip planned to Sturgis this August, about 3300 miles round trip. I've been thinking about going with the Hensley since my old hitch is being sold with the old camper, but they are almost 4 times as expensive as the 4 point equalizer or blue ox, are they so much better.

Sturgis is a long trip and it would be nice to not have to worry about cross winds or big trucks blowing by.

Thanks for the advice
jdbunch1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:06 AM   #2

It could be the app I'm using but I don't see what you're pulling it with here.

Short story is the folks that have dropped that much money on a hitch are of course going to say it's the best hitch money can buy. Definitely worth the investment.. if you don't do it you're taking your life in your hands.

I'm not as convinced. How often has sway been an issue with your current setup?

It would help if you posted what you have now.. tow vehicle, rig, weights, etc and what you are looking to go to.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

Do you need it? No. Is it a great insurance policy to GREATLY improve and prevent control issues while towing? Yes. We have one and I say they are worth every penny. BTW, Hensley's easily move from TV and TT. We bought ours used 6 years ago and it is at least 15 years old. It is now on its 4th TT, two with previous owner, and 3rd TV.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 AM   #4

Once you have decided a hitch upgrade is worth the money I would suggest you also consider the ProPride hitch https://www.propridehitch.com/. It is the one I went with and extremely happy with it. Top notch Customer Service. Sometime back there was a 10% discount code (USA) try it.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #5

Here is my current info

31ft KZ toy hauler weighing 6200 empty about 8000 loaded with 1050 tongue weight - 3/4 ton crew cab gas truck

The unit I'm looking at - Wolf Pack 25PACK12 or T-30 Torque - both will be about 10K loaded and in the 36 to 38ft long with around 1150 tongue weight

I've been pulling campers for years, even worked part time for a dealership and have been up to Goshen and Middlebury Indiana multiple times to pickup new units to return to NC. My current setup seems to work good, never any big sway issues, but with the bigger new trailer, and since I have to buy a hit anyway, just want to start out with the right stuff. Also on the trip my wife might help drive so I'm trying to look at all the conditions
jdbunch1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #6

Lot's of things are worth the money- doesn't mean one has the money. So, if you have the money, you can buy either a ProPride or a Hensley and you'll be very happy with it. I think a Ferrari is worth "the money"; unfortunately, I don't have "the money"!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
Broken Toe

You can get 90% of the benefit for 30% of the money.

Whether or not that is 'good enough' is a decision everyone has to make for themselves

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
You can get 90% of the benefit for 30% of the money.

Whether or not that is 'good enough' is a decision everyone has to make for themselves

Tim

That's the law of diminishing returns. Everyone has to decide where on the graph they're most comfortable. I'm cool with getting 90% of the phone or TV for 10% of the money, lol. Also the reason I buy XLT trucks typically instead of the Platinum. I get 95% of the truck for 60% of the money.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #9

I had a Hensley and it immediately eliminated any hint of sway. I foolishly sold it, thinking we would not have another trailer.
I now have a 264RKLE Surveyor with an Equal-i-zer 4E. Same tow vehicle. The Surveyor is a bit heavier and longer than the previous trailer. Equal-i-zer does not do the same job.
DW says no, but, I keep looking for a used Hensley.

There is a learning curve to Hensley hookup,but, once mastered, worth it. Also, I kept the Hensley greased where required and I never got a bit of grease on me. Seems like every time I get neat the equalizer I get a spot grease from the hitch head or front of the equalizer bars on some piece of clothing.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Grammar Pedant

As mentioned, it's a significant premium. My Equalizer 1,000 lb WDH was $500 OTD when I bought last Jan -- that included the ball and the set-up (and my dealer did a really nice job setting it up). Propride is $3,000. That's closer to 6x ... an order of magnitude difference in price.

The old adage is something like: a $20 bottle of wine is generally better than a $10 bottle of wine, but it's not twice as good. Before everyone starts piping up with the $4 bottle of some brand they love, that's not the point. The point is the diminishing returns. It's better. Is it 6x better? Almost assuredly not.

If money is no object, then buy the best without question.

I wouldn't pay a dime more than I did. The Equalizer WDH is easy to set up (use) and it's incredibly stable. If I were towing a 40' 12,000 lb trailer, maybe my answer would change.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
Canadian Member

I've never been a proponent for the Hensley or ProPride because I don't think they offer any benefit over an Equal-i-zer WDH for weight distribution but I do acknowledge they will be better for sway control.

That said, I've never owned a Hensley or ProPride and have never considered a TT longer than about 32'.

Now, for a 38' long, 10,000# Toy Hauler TT, I would seriously think about the added sway control benefit of the Hensley or ProPride.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
Multi-Slacker

A 10K lbs trailer could have a tongue weight of 1500 lbs. Check your manual to make sure your receiver can handle that weight. Some 2" receivers can handle it and some cannot.

The Propride is a later iteration of the original Hensley design. Review the YouTube videos of the hitch/unhitch processes to ensure you are comfortable with their special needs.

Enjoy your trip and stay safe!
Old 01-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjeeptj View Post
I had a Hensley and it immediately eliminated any hint of sway. I foolishly sold it, thinking we would not have another trailer.
I now have a 264RKLE Surveyor with an Equal-i-zer 4E. Same tow vehicle. The Surveyor is a bit heavier and longer than the previous trailer. Equal-i-zer does not do the same job.
DW says no, but, I keep looking for a used Hensley.

There is a learning curve to Hensley hookup,but, once mastered, worth it. Also, I kept the Hensley greased where required and I never got a bit of grease on me. Seems like every time I get neat the equalizer I get a spot grease from the hitch head or front of the equalizer bars on some piece of clothing.

I use an Equalizer 4 point now as well. Used to keep it lubed. Now, no lube anywhere. It grinds and will wear itself out sooner (but will still take a REALLY long time) with the metal on metal contact, but you get MUCH more friction- which is sway control. I unhook the sway bars when I first arrive at a campground so that I'm not making noise while pulling in. Anything other than slow turns I get no noise.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #14

When I had a 32' bumper pull toyhauler it was a white knuckle drive with a standard chain type WDH, even with a friction sway bar. I looked at Hensley but it was a little too pricey, what worked for me was a Reese SC WDH. I think now they are called a Reese Steadi-Flex, same concept, the Weight Distribution bars sit on what look like brake pad frictions that give you more control. That setup worked great for me in crosswinds and passing trucks, plus a lot less money.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #15

Personal Choice

We had a Hensley for 12 years on 2 different TT. The longest TT was 36 feet. For about 5 years prior to that we utilized a conventional weight distribution hitch. The Hensley was fantastic in elimination of sway from passing big rigs or winds. My wife and children said they could tell the difference as passengers. As driver I wish I had invested in one sooner. After all those years of use purchased a 5th Wheel and upgraded to there 5th Wheel Hitch. Received a reasonable price for the old hitch from Hensley with free return shipping. They provided the boxes to place the pieces in. Also love there 5th wheel hitch. If I invest in anything it is for the safety of my family. From that point of view it was well worth the investment over those 12 years.
Wlasota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #16

[QUOTE=itat;2014533]I've never been a proponent for the Hensley or ProPride because I don't think they offer any benefit over an Equal-i-zer WDH for weight distribution but I do acknowledge they will be better for sway control.

That said, I've never owned a Hensley or ProPride and have never considered a TT longer than about 32'.

Now, for a 38' long, 10,000# Toy Hauler TT, I would seriously think about the added sway control benefit of the Hensley or ProPride.[/QUOTE

For those who don't know, A Hensley of ProPride does not do anything different for weight distribution. They are for sway control. They actually illuminate sway.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #17

Another positive vote for the ProPride. DW is glad we spent the $.

Re: Matmans's comment. Blue Ox, Anderson, etc. are good hitches, they do a good job of controlling sway. Hensley and Propride are better, they prevent sway. You have to decide if the additional cost is worth it to you.

I've read a number of posts on folks with trouble opening their tailgates while hitched. You shouldn't have that problem with either the ProPride or the Hensley.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #18

We have a 2018 Forest River Surveyor 33KRLOK. The box is 33 feet ... the box plus A frame is 37 feet. Our tow vehicle is a 2017 Silverado 1500 with 6.2L V8 and Max Tow package. We purchased a Propride hitch day one and are 1000% glad we did. We do not experience any sway from passing rigs etc. Also, I believe the weight distribution setup and capabilities of the Propride hitch are outstanding. We have friends with shorter trailers and bigger pickup trucks to tow them ... and they have to deal with sway issues while we are cruising along. There have been comments that the additional cost is a waste of money ... I call BS. The Hensley and Propride hitches use a much more advanced design concept and cause the truck and trailer to act as one unit meaning no trailer sway. I have wondered if perhaps this design should be mandatory for any trailer over a certain length since it is so much more stable and safe. One of the key questions to ask Propride and Hensley owners is if they would consider towing with a conventional hitch (many have towed with both types) ... it seems that most swear by the Propride/Hensley and would not tow without it. I won't. Also, spending $2k more on a Propride hitch and being able tow with a Silverado 1500 (1/2 ton) is a LOT cheaper than spending many more thousands of $ on a bigger truck ... which is NOT necessary.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #19

For a trailer that is well-matched to the tow vehicle, I don't think it's worth the extra cost. I towed an Outback 26RS with a Hensley Arrow for many years. The Hensley performed exactly as advertised. I tow my current 27-foot Grey Wolf trailer with a Husky Centerline TS. With the Husky, I have felt an occasional jiggle in a wind gust followed by an immediate correction. Both hitches have provided a safe towing experience with no trailer sway.

My Grey Wolf (about 5,400 lbs) is well within the capacities of my tow vehicle, and that is probably the main reason that towing doesn't feel much different between the two hitches. I expect other four-point sway control systems such as Equalizer or Reese Steadi-Flex would perform in a similar manner.

In terms of weight distribution, the Husky performs as well or better than the Hensley - I have found the Husky much easier to dial in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hensley Arrow Hitch.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	195630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Husky Centerline TS_LI (3).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	565.4 KB
ID:	195632  

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #20

The Pro-Pride is the upgraded version of the Hensley both of which were designed by Jim Hensley. I have the Hensley which I located used for around $1k on Ebay.

I would not tow with anything else. Watch the video

https://www.hensleymfg.com/hensley-hitch-video/

Buy the best, you will NOT regret it!
2004 Silverado 2500HD diesel
transmission_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley