Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #21

If you google, GM RPO codes, you can get a list of all GM Regular Production Options. In the glove box of the truck you're looking should be a white label with every thing that truck came with when it was built. EX G80 is limited slip rear axle. Compare the two and you'll know what rear axle the truck came with and so on.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #22
Site Team

I always get a copy /print out of the build codes sheet from the dealer. That will have the codes with a description. Nice to have all the codes on one sheet .
They can get that info from your VIN#

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #23
campr-pete

I had a 2010 Silverado 1500 it had a 8100lb towing capacity it did have the trans cooler and a oil cooler was a Z71 package, the truck had a 373 rear. All trucks are capable of towing certain weights if your paticular pickup has a 7100lb towing capacity which is on the very low end of the 1500 series pickup and your within the trucks tow rating according to chevrolet specs your fine the way the truck came off the assembly line, so if I read the weight right on the specifications of the trailer at less than 4000lbs you would be fine. If you decide to have a trans cooler installed which will help especially if you were towing heavier weights you can have that done in the neighbor hood of $300.00 high end. If your mechanically enclined the cooler is less than $100.00.
campr-pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #24

I have a 05 Silverado 1500 Z-71 that came with a tow package that included a oil cooler and a trans cooler and a wiring harness for a brake controller. It had 3:42 gears and factory 31" tires and all was fine towing our tent trailer.When we decided we wanted a TT I made some mods to my truck because I have many friends towing with half tons. I put a Mag-hytec diff cover on the rear end, Hellwig airbags, aftermarket slide out tow mirrors and changed the front and rear gearing to factory 4:10. so the trans is turning fast enough to keep the plates locked up.No slippage less heat.I switched to full synthetic motor oil and put a K&N filter on it and got more horsepower and better gas milage. I figure loaded for a weeks camping at the Grand Canyon I'm towing about 5500lb and I can go over sheeps pass on RT 66 with out downshifting.I have a good solid set up that tows well, stops well and has plenty of power to accelerate up hills.
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #25

go for a 2500 and when you go bigger which you will you will have the truck I did and never regretted it , Started out with a 06 TT than a 06 5th wheel now i have a 2010 34RLSA and still have the same truck

Tags
tow vehicle