Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #1

Is this enough tow vehicle for me?

We just purchased this TT:

Wildwood X-Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

It's was a leftover model so we got a good deal on it. Now comes the next challenge of looking at tow vehicles for it.

I am looking at this guy here:

Auto Lenders - NJ & PA Used Car Dealer - Used 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4X4 in Williamstown, NJ

I just don't fully understand how the weights line up. We are new to this whole thing so any help is appreciated. I don't want to have to over spend on a vehicle, but at the same time I don't want to roll off the lot and have something that us underpowered and unable to pull the weight.

Thanks,

Stan
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #2

looks like it should be, but doesn't state if it has tow package or not.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #3

Dave - really appreciate the reply. Like I said, brand new to this. More a car guy, getting in to the camping thing for my family/son. What exactly would be included int a tow package on a truck? Dealers will sell you the moon and the stars so asking them could be dangerous...
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #4

Tow package typically includes transmission cooler, HD radiator, rear end ratio at least @ 3.55, preferably 3.92. May also have oil cooler.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #5

I'm not 100% sure on a 1/2 ton, I have a 1 ton Chevy, but should be the receiver, 7 pin wiring connector, trans cooler, and probably few other upgrades. Maybe someone else will have more input on this.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:01 AM   #6

In the pics of the truck it does not look like there is a hitch on it so I doubt it has the tow package.I would look for something that has a hitch and brake controller already built in that way most likely the truck is set up to tow right out of the box.A half ton truck should be enough to tow what your looking at but I would run the numbers to be sure.
searay245se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Is this enough tow vehicle for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post
Dave - really appreciate the reply. Like I said, brand new to this. More a car guy, getting in to the camping thing for my family/son. What exactly would be included int a tow package on a truck? Dealers will sell you the moon and the stars so asking them could be dangerous...

If it doesn't say on the spec sheet, chances are it doesn't have a tow package. You can also write down the VIN# and call the mfg (preferred method). They can tell you if it has the tow package and which options.
In my opinion, to purchase a truck for towing and not get the tow package is a very bad choice. You'll either spend a ton of money to upgrade the truck for the ability to tow (and not increase tow capacity), or possibly tear up your brand new truck (or both).
Even 1/2T trucks that have tow packages aren't equal. Mfg's will put different "features" into different setups. 3.55 vs 3.73
I'm a little partial here, but I found that the new(er) 5.7L Tundra's are the simplest to understand and more than capable as a 1/2T tow vehicle. If it has the Tow switch, it comes with the tow package... And all those tow packages have the same features... No guess work involved.
Here is what comes with a Tundra tow package...
Tow Package includes: 4.3 Rear, towing hitch receiver, trailer brake controller prewire, TOW/HAUL Mode switch, supplemental engine oil cooler, supplemental transmission cooler, heavy-duty battery, 170-amp. alternator and 4/7-pin connector (standard on 5.7L V8 models).

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #8

Looking at the spec sheet, it does not show a tow package. Unless they are not stating it.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post
We just purchased this TT:

Wildwood X-Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

It's was a leftover model so we got a good deal on it. Now comes the next challenge of looking at tow vehicles for it.

I am looking at this guy here:

Auto Lenders - NJ & PA Used Car Dealer - Used 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4X4 in Williamstown, NJ

I just don't fully understand how the weights line up. We are new to this whole thing so any help is appreciated. I don't want to have to over spend on a vehicle, but at the same time I don't want to roll off the lot and have something that us underpowered and unable to pull the weight.

Thanks,

Stan
Use this Site for Most of your Qs. (Changingears.com)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
DDC

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Maintains 12,000-lb. Max Trailering

Have a look here it is for the fifteen model.

Max Trailering Package
Includes 9.76" rear axle and revised shock tuning for increased control.
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
Enhanced Cooling Radiator
Heavier Duty Rear Springs
Increased RGAWR
This option features:
Heavy-duty radiator
Heavy-duty rear springs
Trailer brake controller

This is taken from the GM Canada page but will be the same.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

Gm 1/2 ton trucks with the tow package will have, 3.42 gears, 2 speed transfer case (4 hi AND 4lo, as well as auto), it will also have the auxilary tranny cooler and rear hitch with plug. There may be an engine oil cooler in the radiator, but i dont know what the deciding factor is for that.

Now Gms max tow, or max trailer, (whatever they call it) 1/2 ton trucks can have the 6.2, different axles, trans, gears, etc., whole different animal.

From what the pics show, there is no hitch, cant tell on the plug, might just be a cap in the bumper filling the hole, but it does have the 2 speed transfer case.

Oh and at that price you could probably get one new, that is kind of a base model lt (maybe the LT1) with no fogs, manual seat, etc.
At least down south you could with the applied rebates, maybe prices are higher up north.
Good luck shopping!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #12
Site Team

Might be a good idea to ask the dealer for a copy of the build codes.
So ya dont have any surprises like this member did.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post786830

Just curious, is there any way to find the build codes online with the vin?

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #13

I would look for another vehicle, this one has a 3.08 rear axle ratio. Even with a 6 speed trans. I would look for a better drivetrain combination for towing.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

The universal one size fits all advice I give to anyone towing anything with any half ton is get more transmission cooling capacity installed than the truck came with. Install the aftermarket cooler inline (in addition to) the factory system, even if it has a tow package installed. And a tranny temp gauge isn't a bad idea, either.

It's only about $200 worth of stuff.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #15

Towing configuration

you can look in the glove box and see the label with build codes. that will tell you if your truck has tow features on board. Some codes may be specific to model/engine...others are common across model/engine line.

Max Trailering Pack includes;
(L9H) Vortec 6.2L V8 SFI engine,
(G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential,
(Z85) Handling/Trailering Suspension Package,
(AXN) 9.5" (24.1 cm) hybrid rear axle,
(GT4) 3.73 rear axle ratio,
(P46) 4 - 17" x 7.5" (43.2 cm x 19.1 cm) 6-lug aluminum wheels,
(QJP) P265/70R17 on-/off-road blackwall tires,
(T96) fog lamps,
(JD9) front and rear disc brakes,
(Z82) Trailering package

1 - Requires C*10753 or C*10543 models. CK10543 and CK10753
Models also include (NQH) electronic Autotrac transfer case. Option content within this package may not be substituted or deleted. Not available with (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package.

Z82 - Trailering Package for MYC 6-speed transmission, heavy-duty includes trailering hitch platform and 2-inch receiver, 7-wire harness (harness includes wires for: park lamps, backup lamps, right turn, left turn, electric brake lead, battery and ground) with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a 7-way sealed connector, wiring harness for after-market trailer brake controller (located in the instrument panel harness),
(K5L) heavy-duty cooling package,
(KC4) external engine oil cooler,
(KNP) external transmission oil cooler

Z85 - Suspension Package, Handling/Trailering, heavy-duty, includes 46 mm piston monotube shocks and 36mm front stabilizer bar
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, considering the known facts and "presumed" assumptions, the truck is question is not a good candidate for the tow vehicle for that Wildwood.

Even though the spec sheet gives hitch ratings, there is no visible hitch on that truck. No hitch indicates no tow package.

If the truck indeed has a 3:08 final drive gearing that someone indicated, that is not the greatest for trailer towing. I don't see where the 3:08 ratio is even listed in the Trailer Life Towing Guide as a option for the 5.3L engine.

That Wildwood is a bunkhouse, which indicates kids. Kids, plus parents, plus other cargo in the truck add up to plenty of weight in the truck, before hanging 800+lbs. of trailer tongue on the back end. Even if the truck is rated to tow a trailer that size, the weak link of 1/2 ton pickups is the payload capacity.

Again IMHO, a 3/4 ton truck with a tow package would be a better TV for that trailer. In addition to getting more payload capacity, 3/4 ton trucks tend to have longer wheelbases, which is better for towing trailers that long.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #17

I remember when GM started this 1/2 Ton CRAP! They had a (HD 1500 4x4) -(6.0 engine/8 lug wheels/brakes and axles like a 3/4) It was the same period of time when they offered (Weird Steer?). So if any one is talking about this type (1/2 ton truck) you DONT have a Dog in this fight! Youroo!! Not ALL 1/2 Tons are (Created Equal)!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #18
Missing Link

Quick search but here's a nice truck in your area that is set up for you need. Only thing it don't list is the gear ratio but it says 7k gvwr so should be the 3.42 and does have hitch, 7-way plug and integrated brake controller. http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal...5D%5D%5B%5D%5D
Old 03-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #19

Keep in mind that a dealer cannot install a factory tow package. The dealer can add the hitch, the mirrors, brake control, wiring etc.. The factory tow package will typically include things such as increased cooling, a transmission cooler, a larger battery and alternator, stronger suspension, extended mirrors. If you can find a used truck with a factory tow package you will be way ahead of the game and will be able to tow considerably more.
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #20

Don't do like we did...buy a camper, then find a tow vehicle to comfortably pull it. Then later we decided we needed more room and moved up and was good for awhile till we hit the mountains...then the expenses started to kick in! We then traded up to a truck that would handle the TT easily...then yoy guessed it,now want a little more room at a weight too close for comfort. Come to find out the rear end is only 302 or something and we need a 355...dugh! My advice is to thing ahead!
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle