Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 11:38 PM   #1

Is this forest river tt doable with my truck

We're looking at upgrading to this forest river grey wolf 26dbh now that I have a truck. The truck is a 2013 f150 5.0 w/tow package, 1500 lb payload, 3.73 e locker, 4x4, gvwr 7350. In the truck will be about now as my kids are 4 and 5, 450lbs of us and dog, plus 3/4 tank of fuel so 200lbs of fuel and I plan on buying a blue ox wdh with 1000lb bars so seems that 100lbs is going rate for a wdh per other forums and we travel mainly now 2-4hr drives in Michigan so not real hilly. We travel with dry water tanks as we fill at the campground and only one full propane tank also plus about 800-1000lbs of stuff in the camper. Here's the camper we're seriously looking at buying.

http://www.pricerightdewitt.com/defa...=xNewInventory

Thanks for any advice and help.
Olotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #2

Cool

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like your truck has a Towing Capacity in the 9,000 range (given the info you gave) and the GVWR on the TT is about 7,700 range.

Given all the info (your carrying load) you gave is correct then you should be well within your limits to tow that TT safely and comfortably.

Just be sure to double check everything before you buy it just to make sure you didn't make any mistakes about the weight of stuff you will have in the truck and bed.

If you are still within the parameters then the only thing left would be to hit the scales and get the WDH set up correct and hit the trail.
'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #3

You'll be fine with that trailer. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you the spreadsheet that's used for hitting the scales.

You've done your homework on the F150forum HERE and know the capabilities of your truck. The specs on that grey wolf are very similar weight to my trailer and the truck and trailer are matched well. The fact you are starting with a good hitch is a plus too.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnGlaze13 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

It looks like your truck has a Towing Capacity in the 9,000 range (given the info you gave) and the GVWR on the TT is about 7,700 range.

Given all the info (your carrying load) you gave is correct then you should be well within your limits to tow that TT safely and comfortably.

Just be sure to double check everything before you buy it just to make sure you didn't make any mistakes about the weight of stuff you will have in the truck and bed.

If you are still within the parameters then the only thing left would be to hit the scales and get the WDH set up correct and hit the trail.
The towing capacity is 9100 lbs since I have the 6.5' bed I just don't want to overload the payload of the truck with the family payload, wdh, and fuel etc.thanks for the reply and advice.
Olotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:01 AM   #5
Site Team

One problem is that that dealer has the wrong term for the hitch weight.
725lbs is the fictional "dry" hitch weight, NOT hitch weight capacity.

So when you add the weights of batteries, water and trailer cargo, the real world hitch weight could be around 1000lbs.
Subtracting 100lbs for the WDH, that leaves you only 400lbs for your truck's occupants and truck cargo.

You are already saying that it's 450lbs for the family.

Sure you could save some weight by traveling with no water. But you're going to close on margins.

If you won't have anything in the truck other than occupants and you have an empty fresh water tank, you should be just under specs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #6

Should be a good match.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #7

Weigh your truck ready to camp. Subtract it from GVWR to get true payload. (Everything put in and on that truck that didn’t come factory reduces payload)

Use 12% of GVWR of trailer as a guide for true tongue weight. That stuff adds up faster than you think.

Also, weight added to truck takes away from GCWR, ie lowers your max trailer size.

Crunch the numbers.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #8

Been there, done that, with almost exactly the same camper, (except mine was an Ecoboost), The problems I see, is it seems like you are already cutting corners to save weight? Why fill just one tank, if you have two, use them because, well, you just never know..
Why only 3/4 tank of gas, why not fill it up? It seems like you are "MAKING" it work for you but with kids it changes thing (I HAVE 6!) start adding bicycles, extra chairs, etc.. things that most families with kids take and your weight will add up pretty quickly. if you make it work, you'll probably be right on the edge of your payload limits with near zero room for anything additional should the need arise..Just keep all that in mind. IM pretty sure the truck will handle it, but its always good to leave a little margin for the what ifs, or the " I Wants"
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

Go For It

We have almost identical setup and have no problem towing our camper thru the hills of Virginia/West Virginia and last summers trip to Mount Rushmore was no problem at all. Pictures of our Camper and F-150 Truck are at the link here.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...xl-141715.html
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olotti View Post
We're looking at upgrading to this forest river grey wolf 26dbh now that I have a truck. The truck is a 2013 f150 5.0 w/tow package, 1500 lb payload, 3.73 e locker, 4x4, gvwr 7350. In the truck will be about now as my kids are 4 and 5, 450lbs of us and dog, plus 3/4 tank of fuel so 200lbs of fuel and I plan on buying a blue ox wdh with 1000lb bars so seems that 100lbs is going rate for a wdh per other forums and we travel mainly now 2-4hr drives in Michigan so not real hilly. We travel with dry water tanks as we fill at the campground and only one full propane tank also plus about 800-1000lbs of stuff in the camper. Here's the camper we're seriously looking at buying.

Most of this dialogue amounts to rationalization. Nearly everyone we know in trailering, at one time or another convinced them selves that a 1/2 ton PU would work. Ultimately, with a trailer that big and a family, it did not work well and they now, like us, tow with a 3/4 ton or better. The numbers can always be made to work on paper but in real loads, the scale will usually show you that it doesn't. Also, don't make assumptions about water versus no water. Some times you benefit by that water taking weight off the ball. But then when it's in the black and gray tanks it puts weight on to the ball OR VICE VERSA. THE SCALES WILL TELL.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #11

One thing you should be considering is will that truck STOP that much weight safely if you have to brake suddenly. That seems like a lot of weight for that 150 and why risk your family. We upgraded to a larger truck and we feel much safer and it tows so much better.
BUCKY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #12

You might consider adding air bags to level the truck and give a better ride. I have just done this with my new 2018 F 150 V8.
brydle604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKY2 View Post
One thing you should be considering is will that truck STOP that much weight safely if you have to brake suddenly. That seems like a lot of weight for that 150 and why risk your family. We upgraded to a larger truck and we feel much safer and it tows so much better.
I have never gotten this argument.. The trailer will have brakes aid in stopping.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I have never gotten this argument.. The trailer will have brakes aid in stopping.
Absolutely agree!

Logic says:

If a 1/2 ton can't stop a 7K bumper pull well without brakes...

...How will a 3/4 ton pulling a 12k 5th wheel do any better?

Trailer brakes are an integral component in the truck and trailer combination.

No matter what you're towing with, once your trailer brakes fail, you're asking asking for an answered prayer to stop the truck and trailer and new shorts once it does stop!

This should be good until someone says I'm wrong

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #15
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Most of this dialogue amounts to rationalization. [...]
I don't understand this at all. Most people use the concept of rationalization to justify doing that which is, on its face, not right. In this case, rationalization might be something like: the trailer is 9,000 lbs, my truck can only tow 8,000 lbs, but I'm not driving over any mountains, so I should be OK. That would be rationalization. The facts show the behavior is wrong and some other misguided logic is used to justify inappropriate actions.

That's not what's happening here. This is an honest look at both the trailer weights and the TV capability. If the weight ratings are all being met (and not all of them have been discussed yet ... GCWR is critical), move forward. That's not rationalization. That's math.

Obviously, anything a 1/2 ton can pull, a 3/4+ ton will pull as well or better. No question. But, it may not be necessary. And, few of us would put kevlar reinforcement in pillars and panels, add polycarbonate layers to our windows, use custom run-flat tires, and use steel-reinforced body-panels like you have.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #16

You are Golden...........Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!
Old 01-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olotti View Post

We have the exact same truck. We have towed a Rockwood 32 ft travel trailer and now tow a 32ft Rockwood signature ultra lite . We have put over 40,000 miles on the truck towing with absolutely no problems. The most important thing is a proper hitch and proper balance in the unit.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillontheroad View Post
We have the exact same truck. We have towed a Rockwood 32 ft travel trailer and now tow a 32ft Rockwood signature ultra lite . We have put over 40,000 miles on the truck towing with absolutely no problems. The most important thing is a proper hitch and proper balance in the unit.
The voice of experience..............More valuable than all the engineers and lawyers on the planet!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #19

You’ll be just fine. I have the same camper and tow with a ram 1500. You are well within your limits as long as your smart about loading the camper and not putting much in the bed of the truck. I’m surprised people are saying this TT is 3/4 territory. It’s absolutely not.
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:41 PM   #20

I believe the curb weight of the truck includes all fluids including fuel (stock gas tank of course), many people add the weight into the CCC when they don't have too.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, truck