Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #31

I just read that eh sleeved link plates are the old sytle and the kind i have are the new style. look under the installation guides further down the page there is another PDF file with a bulletin "old style pre fall 2009 vs. new style sway control bracket assembly"

Old Style Bracket (pre-Fall 2009) Installation & FAQs639 KBpdf Old Style vs. New Style Sway Control Bracket FAQs

Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #32

Like Danielflading, I saw last night that we have the new style brackets and the ones with the sleeves are the old style (pre-2009).

The news about a screw to attach the brackets to the frame is news to me. First I heard of such a thing so I will pursue that.

My dealer is Nationwide in Grain Valley, MO. Other than this issue, which they are helping with, they have been good to deal with.

Once again, I would like to thank all of you for the input. This has been a great help. And I do like the idea of actually weighing the setup. The next few weeks are going to be pretty busy with work and home but I will get to the scales soon.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #33
Head Rambler

You'll know a lot more about your rig once you see the weights.

If you don't mind, come back and let us know what it weighed.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #34

I had the old style as in the photo. I also installed it in the inverted position(opposite the photo).

I had the 12,000 Lb. bars and towed a 8315SS, loaded on the heavy side, and didn't have any problems with the link bending.

If it were mine, I'd install the washer-headed self-tapping bolt, no matter what style hitch.

You may want give Progress Mfg. a call.
800-478-5578

Email:
info@equalizerhitch.com
Old 09-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #35

I agree with Milzat, ! think I will also install the optional bolt as we all know know there is a potential problem that can cause the plates to bend.

Maybe a spare set of plates and L brackets should be carried also.

Dan
Old 09-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #36

I email Progress Mfg. (Equal-i-zer) and asked them to read this thread. I,ve done some testing with them in the past on the Sway Bracket Jackets. They seem to be a great bunch of folks.

Hopefully, we can receive some suggestions from their engineering department.
We'll see what happens.

I would love to get some Manufacturing companies involved in these forums.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #37

I received a reply from Customer Service. Below is part of the reply pertaining to the "L" bracket plates.

Michael,

Thank you for contacting us and thank you for using the Equal-i-zer Hitch. We appreciate each of our customers and love to hear from them.
We also appreciate customers bringing threads like this one to our attention. We regularly monitor a number of popular RV forums, as we feel it helps keep us in touch with customer's wants and needs.

I'll point out a couple of things that you may wish to pass on, however.
The comment by the dealership that we're seeing "high failure rates" is incorrect. I've passed the information to our factory rep who covers the area, so that he can make sure he visits and trains this dealership sooner, rather than later. There won't be any specifics mentioned - we'll just make sure they're trained.

As has been noted, with the "B-style" or "inverted" couplers we have a slightly modified installation method. For whatever reason, we've found that sometimes a b-style coupler will cause the brackets to bow. It doesn't seem to affect a specific truck and trailer combination, or even the same type of trailer. Because there doesn't seem to be a particular cause, we've chosen to send all of our customers that have a B-style coupler two additional bolts. These bolts strengthen the connection between the brackets and the frame. The installation process is covered in the PDF, found here:

http://equalizerhitch.com/public/SB/...stallation.pdf

Make sure that your brackets DON'T look like "95-5550-05 inverted 5 inch incorrect fl.jpg". They need to look like "95-5550-05 inverted 5 inch correct FL.jpg". The problem with the incorrect style is that the bolts of the link plates aren't at their closest to the frame. They could be moved closer, like is shown in the correct style.

With proper installation, there's not a concern for backing or turning.
I have seen some cases of this outside link plate bow being caused by improper installation. Let me expand on that:

Some dealers, who have had experience installing hitches other than the Equal-i-zer will strive diligently to keep the bars absolutely LEVEL.
By doing this, rather than allowing the bars to slope up toward the trailer, they make it such that the L-brackets are extended some distance down. Other hitches stridently require that the bars be level.
Ours is much more forgiving. You can have the spring arms sloping up toward the trailer or level. The only angle of the bars that we discourage is a downward slope toward the trailer.

As such, if your spring arms are down some distance below the level of the trailer, I would suggest that you move the L-bracket a hole or two higher, and remove a washer or two to accurately maintain your weight transfer, but to allow you to have less pressure on the L-brackets.

You can remove the bars from the brackets when backing, but with proper installation, you shouldn't have to when backing over flat ground.

If you run into folks who have the B-style install, but who don't have the self-threading bolts, they may contact us, and we'll happily send them a set.

Please let anyone you meet know that we're always happy to help our customers if they have need of help. They can call or e-mail - we'll be happy to answer any questions they may have.

Thanks,

Daniel Hicken
Customer Service Lead,
Progress, Mfg Inc.
1-800-478-5578

In the drawings below, the bracket on the LEFT(or TOP) is installed correctly. Notice the mounting bolts are contacting the trailer tongue frame, Top & Bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95-5550-05_inverted_5 inch correct FL.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	3448   Click image for larger version

Name:	95-5550-05_inverted_5 inch incorrect FL.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	3449  
Old 09-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #38

Excellent information thank you for posting this Milzat.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #39

No problem.

Glad to help.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #40
Head Rambler

It's good to see the mfg respond as they did.

The slope of the bars is why I asked for photos of the setup.

Tags
equalizer