Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #1

Issues with Equalizer WD hitch?

I was just told by my RV dealer that Equalizer is redesigning the tongue mounting brackets due to high failure rates. We got our trailer the end of April. After 1 trip (400 miles), I took the TT in for some warranty work and the dealer noticed cracks in the welds so he replaced the brackets. Now, after 2 more trips (400 - 500 miles each), the left bracket has bent so far that I won't pull the trailer. The dealer has given me another set of replacement brackets (no charge). They said that as soon as Equalizer finishes their redesign, they will replace my parts at no charge. Yes, I have a good dealer!

Just thought I would share this experience in case anyone else has similar problems. Oh, the trailer is a 2010 Flagstaff 30WRLS and the TV is a 2007 Tundra 5.7 Limited with the full towing package.
mcmjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Which Equal-i-zerŪ do you have?
How many washers are you using?
What is your tongue weight?

I have the 1000# bars and my TW is 680lbs. Just wondering if I should be concerned.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #3

Sorry for the delay in responding to you, Bama Rambler. Not sure I can answer all of the questions you asked since the dealer installed it when we purchased our trailer in late spring. It does have 1000# bars but I don't know about washers. Maybe you could explain that part.

As for the tongue weight, I haven't checked but I would expect it to be about 750 - 800 lbs since the trailer loaded weighs about 8000#.

And thanks for asking.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #4

Are you referring to the L brackets that the bars rest on?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #5

An update

Okay, I put the new L brackets on last week. 2 days later, I pulled out of the driveway and pulled the trailer from Kansas City to Eureka Springs, AR. By the time I arrived at the RV park, both of the L brackets were bent out of shape again.

I have to question if the hitch has been properly installed. Or if there is a problem with the sway bars? Don't know but I am contacting my dealer again to try to work this out.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #6

I'd go here

Equal-i-zerŪ Hitch - Support - Installation Instructions & Parts Breakdown

and read the instruction and watch the video at the bottom of the page and reinstall it yourself. You might fine what is wrong with the installaiton.

I'd start by measuring the TV fender heights front and rear both hooked and unhooked from TT to get an idea what kind of load your putting th hitch under. Yuo may be applying to much weight distribution and the hitch needs to be readjusted.

Second I would measure the distance from the trailer tongue to the location of the L brackets and see if you close the reccomended 32".

You might also pull the reciever head assembly off the TV and assemble everything together on the trailer tonge . Move it side to side and see if it is binding some where. Check for wear marks on the paint on the arms and tongue assemble as wear.
DCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmjc View Post
Okay, I put the new L brackets on last week. 2 days later, I pulled out of the driveway and pulled the trailer from Kansas City to Eureka Springs, AR. By the time I arrived at the RV park, both of the L brackets were bent out of shape again.

I have to question if the hitch has been properly installed. Or if there is a problem with the sway bars? Don't know but I am contacting my dealer again to try to work this out.

I also have the equilizer hitch. Who installed the Ball and set up the truck side of the hitch? You must make specific measurements to set this up and afterwards you need to tow and then recheck and make any neccessary adjustments to the ball height, L bracket set up, etc.

The Brackets that the L brackets attach to must be installed in a specific orientation to the type of A frame you have. If the brackets are not installed correctly they will be damaged.

check out the instrcutions here, there are two differnt ways to install the L bracket shackles

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/eq...small_0610.pdf

how much force is needed to set the bars onto the brackets?
do you need to use the wrench included with the hitch to set the bars into place?
who set up the tow vehicle side of the hitch?
is the ball height the same on the TV as the TT hitch is when TT is level?
After the first tow were there any adjustments made to the hitch set up?
can you attach a pic of the A frame hitch on your camper and the L bracket set up you have?

It sounds like there is something installed incorrectly.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #8

The dealer set up the hitch when I picked up the trailer. It was done on a gravel parking lot so I am not convinced it was properly measured.

I need to clarify one thing - it was not the L brackets themselves that bent but the steel plate that it attaches to. The last 40 or so miles to the campground were all twisty-bits and hills so the hitch arms took quite a workout but still should have been OK.

As far as setting the arms, if I raise the hitch up, they usually go on the L-brackets with little force. Often don't need the wrench.

I hope to get in touch with the dealer today or tomorrow so we shall see the next installment.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
The dealer set up the hitch when I picked up the trailer. It was done on a gravel parking lot so I am not convinced it was properly measured.

I need to clarify one thing - it was not the L brackets themselves that bent but the steel plate that it attaches to. The last 40 or so miles to the campground were all twisty-bits and hills so the hitch arms took quite a workout but still should have been OK.

As far as setting the arms, if I raise the hitch up, they usually go on the L-brackets with little force. Often don't need the wrench.

I hope to get in touch with the dealer today or tomorrow so we shall see the next installment.

Thanks for your input.

So you are saying that the "Link Plates" that the L bracket bolt to are bending? These are the two steel plates that bolt onto the "A" Frame of the camper you are referring to correct?

When the Link Pates are installed is there any gap between the A frame and the upper or lower bolts that hold the link plates onto the camper frame?

I am not sure how this can be bending but not doing any damage to the L brackets.

Can you attach a PIC of the damaged parts and a PIC of how they are installed on the camper frame?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #10

If the "Link Plates" are tightened too much they will bow. They should be tighented only to the point that they are snug. If you do experience a bow in the plates, you can turn them around so that the bow is against the trailer frame. I read this in the manual that came with my hitch. Check each time before towing because they can work loose and get out of position (32" from the tongue).
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
If the "Link Plates" are tightened too much they will bow. They should be tighented only to the point that they are snug. If you do experience a bow in the plates, you can turn them around so that the bow is against the trailer frame. I read this in the manual that came with my hitch. Check each time before towing because they can work loose and get out of position (32" from the tongue).
This is correct, the manual says to install the link plates with the bow against the A Frame []( using this as an example with the Black Brackets representing the trailer "A" frame and the RED represents the link plates, the bowed plate faces the trailer. Also there should be NO gap between the Link plate Bolts and the trailer frame.

are the brackets installed at the correct location 29"-32" from ball center?

Pics of the damaged link plates and the installation would make it earier to determine what is causing the failure.

I have been told by mu local RV shop that the Equilizer is one of the best WD/SC hitches you can get, and I have not heard of any redesign of the link plate either, have you contacted Equilizer directly and talked to them about the problem or any possible redesigning of the parts?

How many Washers did they install on the tow head to angle to ball? looking down at your truck end, count the washers in the head of the unit that angle the Ball:

manual states:
Insert the spacer rivet with washers into the back of the hitch head to
pre-load the angle of the hitch head. Start with 5 spacer washers for longer
wheelbase tow vehicles like pickup trucks, and 4 spacer washers with
shorter wheelbase vehicles like an SUV. Slide the bolt channel around the
shank and hold the hitch head so that the top of the hitch ball measures from
the ground as closely as possible to the coupler height.

I still think there is something not correctly installed on your setup.
I just returned from a 300 mile trip and the plates and L brackets have given me no trouble
Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #12

I am going to try to post some pictures of the ugly brackets. Talked with the dealer tonight and they maintain that it is a problem with the Equalizer brackets and that newly redesigned ones will be coming within the next week.

There are 5 washers on the hitch. Since the TV is a Toyata Tundra with the full tow package (10,300# capacity), this seems correct. The brackets are within the 29" - 32" range. I also think that something is rotten in Denmark here. My current plan is, when the newly redesigned plates arrive, I will take the TT to the dealer and ask them to completely remove the Equalizer hitch and reinstall it. This shouldn't be a problem as they have been very accomodating so far.

I also have heard that the hitch is one of the better ones so I have to believe that part of the problem lies in the installation. My theory (and it is only that as a rank amateur) is that the pivot point of the bars at the hitch is torqued too tight and not allowing them to sway enough in normal operation. It seems that this would explain the bracket bending. Oh well, time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	3419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0333.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	3420  
Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #13

Your's are different than mine. I have the Equal-i-zer with 4 point sway control, 1,000 lb bars. On mine the "L" brackets fit in a sleeve and are held in by one bolt that is snug tight. The sleeve is part of the "Link Plates".
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:47 AM   #14
Site Team

yep, those don't look like my Equal-i-zer's L brackets/mounts either. mine are as grhodes50 described.
i also have the 1000/10000lbs. 4-point sway control model.

are you sure it's a real Equal-i-zer and not some copy?
is it the 2-point sway control model? maybe that one has different brackets.

Edit: upon looking at the Equalizer website, those do look like the brackets they use, now.
didn't know they changed them.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 AM   #15

Looks to me, the instructions weren't followed.

Click here and scroll down to page 16. See figure 7d, upper drawing.

The instructions state:
Once the inverted brackets are installed correctly - use a 3/8" X 1" self-tapping washer-headed bolt to secure each outside link plate against the frame (see figure. 7d).
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #16
Site Team

I'm with Mike on this one. They're missing a screw into the frame that prevents the problem you're seeing. It's an installation issue. Take it back to the installer and have them do it right. I'd print out page 16 of the manual and take it wiht you.

I'd also like to see pictures of the entire setup, top and side views. If that's possible. That way we could see if anything else looks askew to us.

One other thing while I'm writing. Your tongue weight is going to be right at the 1000 lb mark if not a little over. I urge you to go to a scale and have the setup weighed fully loaded and ready to camp.

The dealer should have sold you the 1200 lb Equal-i-zerŪ WDH. It would have been a better fit.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #17

I have the exact same brackets on mine, and I have the 1000/10000lb hitch. I agree with the above posts that this was incorrectly installed. Have the dealer remove everything and reinstall in your presence so you can observe the install. Have a copy of the install manual with you and follow along as they do the work. I installed my hitch myself and then after the first tow I made the needed adjustments and I have not had a problem since (knock on wood). I think they are over tightening the link plates on your A frame. be sure they are using a Tourque wrench
Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #18

Just for curiosity sake, who is your dealer?? Some of us live in the KCMO area.
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #19

Quote:
I am going to try to post some pictures of the ugly brackets. Talked with the dealer tonight and they maintain that it is a problem with the Equalizer brackets and that newly redesigned ones will be coming within the next week.

There are 5 washers on the hitch. Since the TV is a Toyata Tundra with the full tow package (10,300# capacity), this seems correct. The brackets are within the 29" - 32" range. I also think that something is rotten in Denmark here. My current plan is, when the newly redesigned plates arrive, I will take the TT to the dealer and ask them to completely remove the Equalizer hitch and reinstall it. This shouldn't be a problem as they have been very accomodating so far.

I also have heard that the hitch is one of the better ones so I have to believe that part of the problem lies in the installation. My theory (and it is only that as a rank amateur) is that the pivot point of the bars at the hitch is torqued too tight and not allowing them to sway enough in normal operation. It seems that this would explain the bracket bending. Oh well, time will tell.

Which type of tongue do you have on your A frame? Per the manual page 13 fig. 7 there are two types of configurations and the link plates must be installed in a specific orientation, they can go two different ways. I would be sure the dealer is instlled them correctly.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #20

Did anyone else notice that the installation video on a previous post does not show the step where the self-tapping screw is screwed through the bracket and into the frame? The pdf of the manual does show that step, and it is clear from the damage pictures that the screw probably would have prevented the damage. It also bothers me that the screw is necessary for the installation, but according to the manual it is not included with the installation parts. It looks like Equalizer recognized a bad design and their newer manual has the added step.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer