Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #11

Frogz
out of curiosity - I am wondering why you would select a SRW over the DRW - as the 2 extra tire do offer some benefits above and beyond capacity.
BTW good to see people double checking before signing on the bottom line.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreddy View Post
BTW good to see people double checking before signing on the bottom line.
Amen Brother!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreddy View Post
Frogz
out of curiosity - I am wondering why you would select a SRW over the DRW - as the 2 extra tire do offer some benefits above and beyond capacity
Good question! I've been thinking about SRW vs DRW a lot.

I test drove a DRW and I felt like I was taking up the entire lane. While I expect to feel that way while towing, this truck will be my daily driving vehicle as well. If I can tow the RV with SRW, I'd rather do so.

I also have the challenge of keeping the combined GVWR under 26,001 as we will be spending time in a lot of different states. While many states exempt RVs used for "personal use", depending on who you ask, if you own a business and drive an RV, your RV use might be considered a "commercial motor vehicle" and subject to different license regulations. Staying under 26,001 and a trailer under 15,000 steers clear of most states regulations.
RV Driver's License Requirements

While you might ask how will a highway patrol would know I own a business? We'll be getting the trailer "wrapped" with an ad which will make that fact pretty obvious. I've talked this over with DOT contacts in two states and it seems that with the wrap we'll need to register with the DOT as a "property carrier" (we won't be taking passengers for hire). And they advised us that above a combined 26,001 weight we'd also need to have a Class A license.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

That's interesting Frogz. Does that wrapper and subsequent "property carrier" registration mean that you are subject to stops at weight stations, too?

Oh yea - Great job on running the numbers!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
That's interesting Frogz. Does that wrapper and subsequent "property carrier" registration mean that you are subject to stops at weight stations, too?
Unfortunately... YES. And a while lot of other requirements like registering each time we plan to enter a new state. I haven't read up on it much yet but will need to soon.

For the benefit of others who might be in this situation, DOT provided me this link for more information:
ETA - A Motor Carrier's Guide to Improving Highway Safety - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Oh yea - Great job on running the numbers!
Thanks! I've spend WAY too much time on on this!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogz View Post
Thanks! I've spend WAY too much time on on this!
Measure twice cut once

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #17

You might want to look at 4WD options as well. If you are only going to be on hard surfaces, 2WD should do nicely. But if you ever get stuck on dirt it only takes one time to make the day a very long one.

Another thing is that GMC has a auto 4WD option (my truck does not have it). It is suppose to be very nice in the rain and such, so I would expect it would help with control.

I also don't know what the gauge packages are, but I would recommend ScanGaugeII (there is a diesel version now). It really helps a lot for planning stops and managing fuel.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
You might want to look at 4WD options as well. If you are only going to be on hard surfaces, 2WD should do nicely. But if you ever get stuck on dirt it only takes one time to make the day a very long one.

Another thing is that GMC has a auto 4WD option (my truck does not have it). It is suppose to be very nice in the rain and such, so I would expect it would help with control.
Something I read somewhere advised against 4WD for 5th wheel towing. There was some mention about it adding height to the truck and thus making the hitch connection harder or improper. I really didn't give it much thought after that. This could be wrong for all I know.

Any other Fivers out there with 4WD who want to share their experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
I also don't know what the gauge packages are, but I would recommend ScanGaugeII (there is a diesel version now). It really helps a lot for planning stops and managing fuel.
I'll look into this. I'm still in the process of selecting options for the truck.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Only wished I had 4x4 twice.

If you saw that snowy photo of my Blue boy and bikes I needed to put my chains on to get it out of the spot when the snow froze that night.

The other time I got stuck camping on grass and I needed a CASE backhoe and some 10,000 pound aircraft tiedown chains to get me and the camper out of the mud. Oh, 4x4 would have gotten me "stucker" and the CASE may not have been enough.

Other than that, my 2WD with Posi rear does me just fine for 4 years now. 1 1/2 years with a TT and 2 1/2 years with our 5th wheel.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #20

A quick thanks to everyone who chimed in with their thoughts and data!

Tags
led pad