Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #1

Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

The 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited boasts a towing capacity of 7200#. The payload is 1610#.

In you opinion, what length TT and dry weight do you think it could safely tow?

THANKS!
kscamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

the only problem is there is a posted "dry weight" and then there is the weight after it is loaded with the many pounds of "camping stuff" that most of us tote around!
Weighing it after it is loaded at a truck stop might be a good idea.
Good Luck.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
the only problem is there is a posted "dry weight" and then there is the weight after it is loaded with the many pounds of "camping stuff" that most of us tote around!
Weighing it after it is loaded at a truck stop might be a good idea.
Good Luck.

Ok, I'll revise then...what is the max weight you would tow with the TV and max length of TT?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscamping View Post
The 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited boasts a towing capacity of 7200#. The payload is 1610#.

In you opinion, what length TT and dry weight do you think it could safely tow?

THANKS!

Kscamping - I have a 2012 GC Overland with Hemi. My payload sticker only says 1050lbs so not sure why the diff. I tow a 33' TT (Wildwood 27rkss), dry weight is 6355 but tow weight is about 6800 with our stuff in it and the battery, with a blue Ox sway pro WDH. Sits perfectly level. I do have the quadra lift air suspension which is awesome. Tows fine. I'm close on payload limits for sure and the wheel base isn't optimal but 55-60 mph on the highway is no prob. I can definitely feel it back there but nothing scary.

John

2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland (Hemi)
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Length: A good rule of thumb is to divide the tow vehicle wheelbase by 5, and that would be the maximum total length in feet for a conventional upright travel trailer. With a wheelbase of 115", you might want to consider a trailer 23' or under.

Weight: Load up the family and expected camping gear, and head to some truck scales. Subtract that weight from the GVWR listed on the drivers side door pillar, and that would be maximum tongue weight the Jeep can handle. Keep in mind, the actual tongue weight is going to probably be 150-200 lbs. over the listed dry tongue weight.

With those 2 things in mind, I don't think you will be anywhere near your 7200 lb. maximum tow vehicle weight rating.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #6

We towed a 27' Trail Cruiser camper with our 2007 Grand Cherokee diesel for 3 years before we were able to purchase our first truck.

Our camper was very light, 4200 lbs dry and tongue weight was about 650 lbs loaded. We were told by many that it wouldn't work and it would be dangerous. Using an equalizer hitch, it towed just fine in all conditions. I first tested it on an early Sunday morning on the interstate and took it up to 85 mph to see how it did. Knowing that it was good at that speed made me feel more comfortable knowing I would only be going at 60 to 65mph most of the time.

We used and equalizer hitch and sing its praises to anyone who will listen. We always seemed to be caught in a rain storm whenever we left to camp and one was very windy with 45mph cross winds. We ended up slowing down to 40 mph due to visibility and the trailer handled the cross winds very well. We did notice that radial trailer tires seemed to be a little more squirrely and we switched to bias ply trailer tires which made things ride more stable. I suspect short wheel base and radial tires (at the time) didn't do as well together as I hoped they would.

We do not have children and carried all of our cargo in the camper. Our Grand Cherokee's suspension was a little soft and could have benefited with airbags.

I would not tow a camper that long with a G. Cherokee unless it was very light like ours.

When people talk about wheel bases, I point them to semi's and ask the to compare a semi's wheelbase to the length of the trailer.

If you have the $$$ and inclination, consider a Hensley hitch and airbags and you should be ok as long as you don't exceed axle and cargo carrying capacities. Good tires on tow vehicle are a must. Soft P rated tires are a no go unless all you are towing is a popup.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
When people talk about wheel bases, I point them to semi's and ask the to compare a semi's wheelbase to the length of the trailer.
A semi setup puts the pin weight over heavy duty axles, not sticking out behind the bumper of a vehicle with a soft set of SUV springs. Apples and oranges.

But, just in case that doesn't justify the difference, consider this: Many of the newer conventional road tractors with sleepers have wheelbases in the 285" range. Using the formula that I posted above, they could pull up to a 57' trailer, where 53' is now the legal limit.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #8

So 1 ton long bed DRW has a 173.4 wheelbase so divide that by 5 and you get 34.48 feet max length. My 1 ton with 143.5 max length would be 28.7 feet. That just doesn't sound right.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

I tow a 6700 pound, 30 foot, TT with a Dodge Durango. Basically the same as the Grand Cherokee. I use the Blue Ox WDH and and do not have problems between 60 and 65 mph. I have upgraded tires on the Dodge to an extra load tire which gives me stiffer side walls and that improved the ride while towing, less side to side movement when trucks pass.
frisbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbyh View Post
I tow a 6700 pound, 30 foot, TT with a Dodge Durango. Basically the same as the Grand Cherokee. I use the Blue Ox WDH and and do not have problems between 60 and 65 mph. I have upgraded tires on the Dodge to an extra load tire which gives me stiffer side walls and that improved the ride while towing, less side to side movement when trucks pass.

Good to hear frisbyh! I haven't done the tire change but I do pump them up to near max psi. Definitely helps a lot. I figure I'm at or probably over max tongue weight but with the blue Ox I think it's doing a good job distributing the weight. I wouldn't go to California (I'm in Ohio ) but within a couple hours radius I'm not concerned.

John

2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
Old 04-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
So 1 ton long bed DRW has a 173.4 wheelbase so divide that by 5 and you get 34.48 feet max length. My 1 ton with 143.5 max length would be 28.7 feet. That just doesn't sound right.

The equation I posted is a just a guideline that was posted years ago. There are no hard and fast rules that I am aware of, but the equation I posted makes sense.....at least to me. The longer the wheelbase of tow vehicle, the less likely the tail will wag the dog.

There will be variables. Would a 1/2 ton truck with a stiffer suspension and heavier payload tow better that an equal sized SUV with softer springs ?? Probably. Will a 3/4 or 1 ton truck handle a longer trailer better than a 1/2 ton truck with similar wheelbases ?? Highly probable. Would 1 of those short heavy duty trucks that haul mobile homes up and down the road handle a long trailer better than a 1 ton truck. Absolutely.....that is what they were made for.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #12

Oh, I almost forgot. If you are going to use a Grand Cherokee to tow, consider a diesel. It has the torque and the turbo will give you full power towing in the Rockies. A hot tune is also a nice addition to the tow vehicle when towing. The fuel economy towing and unloaded are incredible!

Good luck in your decision and I wish you well!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #13

I think under 27 foot and 5000 pounds would be a great size for my TV. But the shorter the better. The new trailers that have the more rounded front ends. I believe it would help with towing with a SUV. Make sure you get a great hitch. The picture is one of the biggest trailers seen towed by a Jeep Cherokee. Happy Towing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6614250_1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	105076   Click image for larger version

Name:	user8319_pic11887_1414157054.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	105077  
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #14

Thank you so much for the input. I will update with details later and maybe a question more or two! Thank you!
Old 04-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #15

I'm a former 2011 Durango Crew 2wd V6 owner.

Regarding the payload of GC Overland trim vs. Limited, Overland is the top-line loaded with all options model. This would explain the lower payload as all the options add weight to the vehicle, taking away from its payload. I believe Limited is one step below in trim.

A poster on another thread has a loaded F150 and its payload was only 1180.

Probably the best GC for towing would be (tow capacity and payload considered) a Grand Cherokee Sport 2wd with V8 hemi (or diesel, though its weight may hamper payload) and tow package. It probably doesn't exist/very rare on dealer lots and would have to be ordered.

IMO, I wouldn't want to tow anything in TT form that weighed more than my TV GVWR in a light duty vehicle.
GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #16

When we had a 2 horse BP trailer,my wife hauled it with her Grand Cherokee.It was within the tow limit at about 5500# loaded.After one summer of this the Grand started to behave differently when you would let off the gas and brake.It would jerk to the right,some times mildly,other times agressively.What I traced it down to was that both of the rear lower suspension control arms had the bushigs pounded out,worse on the right side, actually completely gone.I relaced both arms and it retuned to being "normal". We dont tow anything with it anymore.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
When we had a 2 horse BP trailer,my wife hauled it with her Grand Cherokee.It was within the tow limit at about 5500# loaded.After one summer of this the Grand started to behave differently when you would let off the gas and brake.It would jerk to the right,some times mildly,other times agressively.What I traced it down to was that both of the rear lower suspension control arms had the bushigs pounded out,worse on the right side, actually completely gone.I relaced both arms and it retuned to being "normal". We dont tow anything with it anymore.

Ouch! What year was your jeep?

John

2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
Old 04-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #18

I towed with a 1999 Jeep Grand with a v8. . it had the trailer tow package. I pulled a trailer that was rated at 6500 lbs max. It was 25 ft. Would not have been comfortable towing anything longer with it.

I believed towing trailer quicken the vehicles death.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgump View Post
Ouch! What year was your jeep?

John

2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
Its an 05,we still have it,but when this happened the car was less than a year old. It has the trailer p kg too.Ithink its rated for 6500#. Havent towed anything with it since.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee