Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #101
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
- I'd much rather see a guy like you, ChooChooMan or OldCoot behind the wheel of anything than other folks.
Now we know it will be safe on the sidewalk (jk)

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Old 05-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
ov845, I used to have a similar rig, Jeep Commander with 4.7L pulling V-lite 26WRB. Your TT is a little longer and heavier. In most conditions the Jeep did well. The conditions I had trouble with we're steeper grades while towing in the west. The Jeep spent a fair amount of time in 3rd gear. Crosswinds and trucks will keep you on your toes. I tightened up the WDH which helped but did not eliminate the wind push.

Wheelbase make difference. The longer the better. I moved up to a crewcab pickup. I now have almost no wind issues. Trucks don't push it around when passing, and I don't feel much in the way of cross winds. I also arrive relaxed after 600 + miles of travel a day. With the Jeep I was pretty wired sometimes. Good luck.

Thank you. I do believe the commander comes equipped with passenger tires & crew cab pickup truck comes with light truck tires. The difference is give in the sidewalls. LT tires have stiffer sidewalls. P-metric tires are normally SL (standard load), in the commander load per tire is approx. a little over 2000 lbs. each. In LT a tire closest can have a load rating of 3000 lbs. each, which would be a smoother ride. There's a lot of variables that I've addressed & there's some that no one has no control over. I do appreciate all the support that you & others offer on my rig. The weight watchers & legal eagles will have to wait until I get my rig dialed in. Happy & Safe Camping Everyone!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #103
the-the-the- The GRINCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov845 View Post
Tow cap - 6500 lbs. Tongue cap - 750 lbs.
By keeping the tire size to a minimum, setting pinion factor, optimizing shift points on trans and keeping it cool and reprogramming ECU for the engine to produce more torque, as long as the frame holds out, I believe she'll do just fine. I'll keep you guys posted as we go on our travels.
WOW! I am totally amazed.

We pulled an '08 Rockwood Roo 23SS with an '04 Jeep GC that had a 4.7L HO engine.

Even dragged the Roo to Myrtle Beach a couple of times as well as all over the Appalachians of Western MD and parts of South/Central PA and the Panhandle of WV. I would not have wanted a smaller engine nor would I have wanted a larger TT. I felt I was maxed out and I know the Roo didn't weigh more than 5800# loaded. And yes, my GC was rated at 6500#.

When we started looking at bigger TT's, I told the DW we had to upgrade the TV, also. Discretion and valor and all that stuff.

You're a better man than I. I wish you the best.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
Old 05-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #104

I have seen set ups that I consider not the best. But I mind my own business. I have no opinion of the OP's setup. Unless I notice the trailer lights/brake cord not plugged in or the safety chains hooked up, my mouth stays shut. Frankly, if you can get from A to B towing a park model with a Chevette, then power to ya!
I admit some folks wouldn't go over 4K pounds with a half ton. I go 5500, I've seen folks run close to 10K. I've never been concerned with weights. I have never weighed my trailer, and never will. Frankly, you do that because 1. You are pushing one or more of your limits, or 2. You just want to.
I'm around 60% of my tow capacity. As for payload, I don't carry enough to be concerned. I cruise straight as an arrow on my OEM P-rated tires, basic WDH, and ST trailer tires. So have several others.
If the OP is confident in his judgement, then it's time to keep your opinions to yourself. All of this "I wouldn't come near you on the road" and "ambulance chaser bait" is unneeded. Like him, I trust my instinct and judgement over anyone else's.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #105

I would like to add that I do take weights seriously. But I go for a setup that I feel gives me enough room as to where I don't have to wonder if I'm pushing my comfort zone. I should have mentioned that.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #106
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
...If the OP is confident in his judgement, then it's time to keep your opinions to yourself. All of this "I wouldn't come near you on the road" and "ambulance chaser bait" is unneeded. Like him, I trust my instinct and judgement over anyone else's.
Well said!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
I have seen set ups that I consider not the best. But I mind my own business. I have no opinion of the OP's setup. Unless I notice the trailer lights/brake cord not plugged in or the safety chains hooked up, my mouth stays shut. Frankly, if you can get from A to B towing a park model with a Chevette, then power to ya!
I admit some folks wouldn't go over 4K pounds with a half ton. I go 5500, I've seen folks run close to 10K. I've never been concerned with weights. I have never weighed my trailer, and never will. Frankly, you do that because 1. You are pushing one or more of your limits, or 2. You just want to.
I'm around 60% of my tow capacity. As for payload, I don't carry enough to be concerned. I cruise straight as an arrow on my OEM P-rated tires, basic WDH, and ST trailer tires. So have several others.
If the OP is confident in his judgement, then it's time to keep your opinions to yourself. All of this "I wouldn't come near you on the road" and "ambulance chaser bait" is unneeded. Like him, I trust my instinct and judgement over anyone else's.
Thank you!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
Old 05-14-2014, 01:49 AM   #108
Incheon, S. Korea

If I saw chains not hooked up or lights not working, etc., I'd say something. Fast.
To he## with discretion and valor. It may save a life or two, or end an endless cycle of white-knuckle trips.
Some folks don't know better because they've been sold a bill of goods.

Imagine the guy you help on his next trip.
"I'm so glad I met that guy. It tows so much better now."

I've helped many people over the years. Because Korea is so small, I've seen several of them years later-when they are seasoned campers.
Always a big smile and firm handshake! It's a good feeling.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #109

It's their responsibility to know. It's up to them to know their comfort zone. I do not believe in judging others tow set up. To me, being the weight police is the equivalent of sitting on a high horse. Period. And most of the statements in this thread validate my statements.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #110

I have to smile,The OP posted a Pic. of his rig,it lasted until Post#(4) then it (Was On!) ran for (110+ Posts) of ?? I though Members liked Pics.? Youroo!!