Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #111
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 273
I'm chucking, too. I knew from the 4th reply it was going to be all out war.

You know, if somebody came up to me and said they needed some help, then I will go over and help the best I can. If I notice someone looking at something I am sure they seem confused, then I'll ASK them if they need some help. If asked or invited, I will help. I'm not a total meanie.
__________________

__________________
John4th is offline  
Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #112
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGCRD View Post
Define yuppie? I work in an office environment, wear suits as needed, report to CFO's, CEO's Directors but I also do all my truck maintenance, brake pads rotors, change all fluids, I mean all, change belts, batteries, glow plugs in my MB 3.0 Jeep GC diesel, program my 5.9 Cummins ECM etc. I also watch vampire, zombie, rom coms, Ducks or anything else I fancy. I use foul language too much, take my wife out on dates, coach soccer and go RVing wherever to take all 3 of my kids to places they have never seen all while letting my Dodge roll the coal to see the grin on my sons face.

Really!!! Calling one a yuppie or redneck is very self riotous but ok call me what you want if you feel better doing that....

My rant is over
Why are you responding as if I quoted or replied to you??? That post was somewhat in jest- you'll notice I specifically referenced ependydad in it as we've had a long running discussion on towing and weights and we poke fun at each other over it at times. Not to stir a hornet's nest, but I think you meant self-righteous.
__________________

__________________
dustman_stx is offline  
Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #113
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Why are you responding as if I quoted or replied to you??? That post was somewhat in jest- you'll notice I specifically referenced ependydad in it as we've had a long running discussion on towing and weights and we poke fun at each other over it at times. Not to stir a hornet's nest, but I think you meant self-righteous.
Some folks just wait to be "Offended".
__________________
OldCoot is offline  
Old 05-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #114
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Gahanna, OH
Posts: 1,414
Wow, this thread was derailed eons ago.

I think we are all risk takers. Every time you get in a car you take a risk. You risk crashing into something as well as someone else crashing into you.

The odds increase every time you drive your RV whether it is a TT, 5er, or any Class. These things are bigger, longer, blind spots, narrow road margins, more things to go wrong, etc.

Because the odds increase, we take more precautions. Frequently check tire pressures, install devices that will help you monitor things, install devices that help with driving, go to CAT scales, etc.

With that being said, we all have different perceptions as to how safe we are on the road. My perception is to know my own limitations and follow some of the guidelines presented upon me. My perception also feeds from experience. For example, I once had a Jeep Cherokee Sport that could easily tow the weight of a pop-up tent I had. Scared the heebie jeebies out of me a couple of times. I learned real quick that something was not safe and decided it was not worth it. Sold the Jeep and got a 1/2 ton truck and all problems went away.

When we went shopping for a new TT I knew what my Hemi Ram 1500 could tow. Of course, the salesman wanted to sell us the most he could. We decided that for our truck we didn't want anything longer than 25 feet. That would get us a nicely built TT well under our trucks capacity. It was a dream to drive and my perception was that the combination was as close as to 100% safe for us and others on the roads.

Now, to each his own, but my perception of the OPs setup is that it is dangerous. We all have different perceptions and I'm sure the OP's perception, along with others, is that he will be fine.

I'm assuming that the OP was looking for a safe/not-safe type of response. Maybe this should have been a poll. I vote = not-safe!
__________________
2014 Georgetown 351DS
-TruCenter -Front/Rear CHF -Hellwig Links -Tiger Trak -Ran McNally GPS -ScanGauge -Truck Systems TPMS -5 Star Tune
alparmer is offline  
Old 05-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #115
Senior Member
 
f5moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
I have seen set ups that I consider not the best. But I mind my own business. I have no opinion of the OP's setup. Unless I notice the trailer lights/brake cord not plugged in or the safety chains hooked up, my mouth stays shut. Frankly, if you can get from A to B towing a park model with a Chevette, then power to ya!
I admit some folks wouldn't go over 4K pounds with a half ton. I go 5500, I've seen folks run close to 10K. I've never been concerned with weights. I have never weighed my trailer, and never will. Frankly, you do that because 1. You are pushing one or more of your limits, or 2. You just want to.
I'm around 60% of my tow capacity. As for payload, I don't carry enough to be concerned. I cruise straight as an arrow on my OEM P-rated tires, basic WDH, and ST trailer tires. So have several others.
If the OP is confident in his judgement, then it's time to keep your opinions to yourself. All of this "I wouldn't come near you on the road" and "ambulance chaser bait" is unneeded. Like him, I trust my instinct and judgement over anyone else's.
Why did you have to come along and make so much sense?

But I agree. After living in Moab for over 5 years; nothing surprises me, I have seen all types of rigs come through and some like the 3500 Duramax pulling a 10 foot popup to a Tacoma with a small 5th wheel and they both seem to be doing ok.
__________________
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires DELAMINATED ROOF
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline  
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #116
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
500lbs.

14 inches.

This is embarrassing guys.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline  
Old 05-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #117
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
If the OP is confident in his judgement, then it's time to keep your opinions to yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
I'm assuming that the OP was looking for a safe/not-safe type of response. Maybe this should have been a poll.
I've been curious about that myself since JohnIII's posts. My initial response to JohnIII's comment above was that the OP obviously wasn't comfortable or asked the question by asking here- thus the input was invited.

BUT... I think that's not the case.

If I understand correctly, this thread started in the "towing pictures" thread with the OP just posting a photo of his setup. Some questions were asked which were off topic for the photo thread so it was pulled into its own and exploded from there.

I don't think the OP actually asked for input on his setup except for here, but that was in direct response to a comment made about it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ov845 View Post
JP..

What's wrong with my girl (TV)? She got plenty of life left. ;-)
Interesting how these things go. I think JohnIII makes a lot of great points.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline  
Old 05-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #118
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've been curious about that myself since JohnIII's posts. My initial response to JohnIII's comment above was that the OP obviously wasn't comfortable or asked the question by asking here- thus the input was invited.

BUT... I think that's not the case.

If I understand correctly, this thread started in the "towing pictures" thread with the OP just posting a photo of his setup. Some questions were asked which were off topic for the photo thread so it was pulled into its own and exploded from there.

I don't think the OP actually asked for input on his setup except for here, but that was in direct response to a comment made about it:


Interesting how these things go. I think JohnIII makes a lot of great points.
He posted a photo of his setup, for his trouble he's gotten dogpiled since.

It's sad. It's also why forums are dying in general. I was on a beginner motorcycle forum and the same bullying mentality is so prevalent there that the forum has 1/10 of the posts it used to. It used to be dozens, hundreds of posts a day. Now if it hits ten I'm surprised.

So long as it's allowed to go on, it will go on. All because from behind a keyboard it's really easy to beat someone up.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline  
Old 05-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #119
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
He posted a photo of his setup, for his trouble he's gotten dogpiled since.

It's sad. It's also why forums are dying in general. I was on a beginner motorcycle forum and the same bullying mentality is so prevalent there that the forum has 1/10 of the posts it used to. It used to be dozens, hundreds of posts a day. Now if it hits ten I'm surprised.

So long as it's allowed to go on, it will go on. All because from behind a keyboard it's really easy to beat someone up.
I don't think that's the issue at all. Some people come to these places looking for a specific answer to their question and when they don't get that the specific answer that they think they should have received they leave.

What's the whole point of this place if everyone says the exact same thing?

I didn't see any "bullying" going on. That word is so overused these days that it's lost it's original intent. A mutual disagreement isn't "bullying" at all.
__________________

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline  
Old 05-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #120
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
I vote for the moderators to close the thread. It is so far off the track it stinks.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.