Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
turnerpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 204
I personally find these threads with all the weight police quite humorous! My honest opinion is if you can stop correctly and you can keep with the flow of traffic for the most part minus hills who really cares?!?! These trucks are made to do way way WAY more than their "ratings" and my profession is plenty of proof for that! I just find it a good chuckle when i am reading threw all these with the weight police going at it!
__________________

__________________
turnerpa is offline  
Old 05-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 1,906
I didn't mention anything about weight or ratings! I just "see" a combination that "could" be problematic that's all.

I agree. Anything can be "beefed" up to carry a certain load, pull it and stop it.
__________________

__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"[/I][/B]
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline  
Old 05-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 6,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerpa View Post
I personally find these threads with all the weight police quite humorous! My honest opinion is if you can stop correctly and you can keep with the flow of traffic for the most part minus hills who really cares?!?! These trucks are made to do way way WAY more than their "ratings" and my profession is plenty of proof for that! I just find it a good chuckle when i am reading threw all these with the weight police going at it!
Humorous, maybe.
I'm beginning to question the common sense (intelligence) of anyone who posts a picture of their set-up on such sites... unless one has been pulling a grocery cart with a Caterpillar D9 and then he'd probably be "cautioned" for not having a heavy enough WDH!


__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline  
Old 05-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Humorous, maybe.
I'm beginning to question the common sense (intelligence) of anyone who posts a picture of their set-up on such sites... unless one has been pulling a grocery cart with a Caterpillar D9 and then he'd probably be "cautioned" for not having a heavy enough WDH!


And this is why I've mentioned exactly twice on this site whet I'm pulling my 5er with.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
snapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 164
Good luck getting around the great USA with all the Dot police officers out their looking for obvious weight and load violations. By the time they are done with you, you could have purchased a much larger TV, instead you might have to sell your TT to pay the fines. I have seen several rec vehicles pulled over in the past several years. Due to the obvious issues. Think safety. If not yours how about everybody else. Be safe and enjoy life.

2013 310BHDS 'Coachman Freedom Express, Liberty Edition
__________________
snapper is online now  
Old 05-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
PhoneDude 8289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,089
Driven thousands of miles thru more than a dozen states, visited with hundreds of campers and never once heard of or seen DOT, state or local leos question or ticket private campers because of weight. Now if you are driving a vehicle that's registered commercial or has signs on it that look commercial and you look overloaded "yes" you will be pulled over and weighed.
__________________
Joe & Beverly
2014 Ram CTD, CC, SB
2014 8289WS lifted
PhoneDude 8289 is online now  
Old 05-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
PhoneDude 8289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Good luck getting around the great USA with all the Dot police officers out their looking for obvious weight and load violations. By the time they are done with you, you could have purchased a much larger TV, instead you might have to sell your TT to pay the fines. I have seen several rec vehicles pulled over in the past several years. Due to the obvious issues. Think safety. If not yours how about everybody else. Be safe and enjoy life.

2013 310BHDS 'Coachman Freedom Express, Liberty Edition
Then people will say that "If you are stopped and weighed you will be ticketed" Ok, what law will they cite? there are NONE... Wait. there is one federal law that I know of. It says that the GVW can not be more than 80,000 lbs. Good luck exceeding that with your TT or Fiver.

You are much more likely to be pulled over for a burnt out tail light, or having a rig that is swaying uncontrollably over the road, or not having a brake controller, or your headlights are pointing straight up in the air blinding him.

Thanks!
__________________
Joe & Beverly
2014 Ram CTD, CC, SB
2014 8289WS lifted
PhoneDude 8289 is online now  
Old 05-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Then people will say that "If you are stopped and weighed you will be ticketed" Ok, what law will they cite? there are NONE... Wait. there is one federal law that I know of. It says that the GVW can not be more than 80,000 lbs. Good luck exceeding that with your TT or Fiver.

You are much more likely to be pulled over for a burnt out tail light, or having a rig that is swaying uncontrollably over the road, or not having a brake controller, or your headlights are pointing straight up in the air blinding him.

Thanks!
X2 or a safety chain violation. I've not seen a towable trailer (5er or TT) pulled over in the last 25-30 yrs. Have seen a couple of MH's, but I would guess it was for speeding. Would like to see a lot more rv's of all kinds pulled over for speeding or weaving.
__________________
OldCoot is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
turnerpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 204
X2
__________________
turnerpa is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #20
Phat Phrogs Incognito...
 
DutchF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Central Texas
Posts: 200
I'm not a member of the "weight police", BUT... MY personal concern about exceeding any towing related manufacturer's rating is this: *IF* I exceeding some rating (TV, trailer, hitch etc) *AND* had an "at fault" accident, I would be worried that my insurance company *MIGHT* deny the claim. I have heard of this happening and if I were an insurance company, it's how I would do business.

Just saying...
__________________

__________________

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.