Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #101
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
- I'd much rather see a guy like you, ChooChooMan or OldCoot behind the wheel of anything than other folks.
Now we know it will be safe on the sidewalk (jk)

Zelda the campin dog
Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
ov845, I used to have a similar rig, Jeep Commander with 4.7L pulling V-lite 26WRB. Your TT is a little longer and heavier. In most conditions the Jeep did well. The conditions I had trouble with we're steeper grades while towing in the west. The Jeep spent a fair amount of time in 3rd gear. Crosswinds and trucks will keep you on your toes. I tightened up the WDH which helped but did not eliminate the wind push.

Wheelbase make difference. The longer the better. I moved up to a crewcab pickup. I now have almost no wind issues. Trucks don't push it around when passing, and I don't feel much in the way of cross winds. I also arrive relaxed after 600 + miles of travel a day. With the Jeep I was pretty wired sometimes. Good luck.

Thank you. I do believe the commander comes equipped with passenger tires & crew cab pickup truck comes with light truck tires. The difference is give in the sidewalls. LT tires have stiffer sidewalls. P-metric tires are normally SL (standard load), in the commander load per tire is approx. a little over 2000 lbs. each. In LT a tire closest can have a load rating of 3000 lbs. each, which would be a smoother ride. There's a lot of variables that I've addressed & there's some that no one has no control over. I do appreciate all the support that you & others offer on my rig. The weight watchers & legal eagles will have to wait until I get my rig dialed in. Happy & Safe Camping Everyone!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #103
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov845 View Post
Tow cap - 6500 lbs. Tongue cap - 750 lbs.
By keeping the tire size to a minimum, setting pinion factor, optimizing shift points on trans and keeping it cool and reprogramming ECU for the engine to produce more torque, as long as the frame holds out, I believe she'll do just fine. I'll keep you guys posted as we go on our travels.
WOW! I am totally amazed.

We pulled an '08 Rockwood Roo 23SS with an '04 Jeep GC that had a 4.7L HO engine.

Even dragged the Roo to Myrtle Beach a couple of times as well as all over the Appalachians of Western MD and parts of South/Central PA and the Panhandle of WV. I would not have wanted a smaller engine nor would I have wanted a larger TT. I felt I was maxed out and I know the Roo didn't weigh more than 5800# loaded. And yes, my GC was rated at 6500#.

When we started looking at bigger TT's, I told the DW we had to upgrade the TV, also. Discretion and valor and all that stuff.

You're a better man than I. I wish you the best.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #104

I have seen set ups that I consider not the best. But I mind my own business. I have no opinion of the OP's setup. Unless I notice the trailer lights/brake cord not plugged in or the safety chains hooked up, my mouth stays shut. Frankly, if you can get from A to B towing a park model with a Chevette, then power to ya!
I admit some folks wouldn't go over 4K pounds with a half ton. I go 5500, I've seen folks run close to 10K. I've never been concerned with weights. I have never weighed my trailer, and never will. Frankly, you do that because 1. You are pushing one or more of your limits, or 2. You just want to.
I'm around 60% of my tow capacity. As for payload, I don't carry enough to be concerned. I cruise straight as an arrow on my OEM P-rated tires, basic WDH, and ST trailer tires. So have several others.
If the OP is confident in his judgement, then it's time to keep your opinions to yourself. All of this "I wouldn't come near you on the road" and "ambulance chaser bait" is unneeded. Like him, I trust my instinct and judgement over anyone else's.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #105

I would like to add that I do take weights seriously. But I go for a setup that I feel gives me enough room as to where I don't have to wonder if I'm pushing my comfort zone. I should have mentioned that.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #106
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
...If the OP is confident in his judgement, then it's time to keep your opinions to yourself. All of this "I wouldn't come near you on the road" and "ambulance chaser bait" is unneeded. Like him, I trust my instinct and judgement over anyone else's.
Well said!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #107

Quote:
I have seen set ups that I consider not the best. But I mind my own business. I have no opinion of the OP's setup. Unless I notice the trailer lights/brake cord not plugged in or the safety chains hooked up, my mouth stays shut. Frankly, if you can get from A to B towing a park model with a Chevette, then power to ya!
I admit some folks wouldn't go over 4K pounds with a half ton. I go 5500, I've seen folks run close to 10K. I've never been concerned with weights. I have never weighed my trailer, and never will. Frankly, you do that because 1. You are pushing one or more of your limits, or 2. You just want to.
I'm around 60% of my tow capacity. As for payload, I don't carry enough to be concerned. I cruise straight as an arrow on my OEM P-rated tires, basic WDH, and ST trailer tires. So have several others.
If the OP is confident in his judgement, then it's time to keep your opinions to yourself. All of this "I wouldn't come near you on the road" and "ambulance chaser bait" is unneeded. Like him, I trust my instinct and judgement over anyone else's.
Thank you!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
Old 05-14-2014, 12:49 AM   #108
Incheon, S. Korea

If I saw chains not hooked up or lights not working, etc., I'd say something. Fast.
To he## with discretion and valor. It may save a life or two, or end an endless cycle of white-knuckle trips.
Some folks don't know better because they've been sold a bill of goods.

Imagine the guy you help on his next trip.
"I'm so glad I met that guy. It tows so much better now."

I've helped many people over the years. Because Korea is so small, I've seen several of them years later-when they are seasoned campers.
Always a big smile and firm handshake! It's a good feeling.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #109

It's their responsibility to know. It's up to them to know their comfort zone. I do not believe in judging others tow set up. To me, being the weight police is the equivalent of sitting on a high horse. Period. And most of the statements in this thread validate my statements.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #110

I have to smile,The OP posted a Pic. of his rig,it lasted until Post#(4) then it (Was On!) ran for (110+ Posts) of ?? I though Members liked Pics.? Youroo!!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #111

I'm chucking, too. I knew from the 4th reply it was going to be all out war.

You know, if somebody came up to me and said they needed some help, then I will go over and help the best I can. If I notice someone looking at something I am sure they seem confused, then I'll ASK them if they need some help. If asked or invited, I will help. I'm not a total meanie.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGCRD View Post
Define yuppie? I work in an office environment, wear suits as needed, report to CFO's, CEO's Directors but I also do all my truck maintenance, brake pads rotors, change all fluids, I mean all, change belts, batteries, glow plugs in my MB 3.0 Jeep GC diesel, program my 5.9 Cummins ECM etc. I also watch vampire, zombie, rom coms, Ducks or anything else I fancy. I use foul language too much, take my wife out on dates, coach soccer and go RVing wherever to take all 3 of my kids to places they have never seen all while letting my Dodge roll the coal to see the grin on my sons face.

Really!!! Calling one a yuppie or redneck is very self riotous but ok call me what you want if you feel better doing that....

My rant is over
Why are you responding as if I quoted or replied to you??? That post was somewhat in jest- you'll notice I specifically referenced ependydad in it as we've had a long running discussion on towing and weights and we poke fun at each other over it at times. Not to stir a hornet's nest, but I think you meant self-righteous.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #113
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Why are you responding as if I quoted or replied to you??? That post was somewhat in jest- you'll notice I specifically referenced ependydad in it as we've had a long running discussion on towing and weights and we poke fun at each other over it at times. Not to stir a hornet's nest, but I think you meant self-righteous.
Some folks just wait to be "Offended".
Old 05-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #114

Wow, this thread was derailed eons ago.

I think we are all risk takers. Every time you get in a car you take a risk. You risk crashing into something as well as someone else crashing into you.

The odds increase every time you drive your RV whether it is a TT, 5er, or any Class. These things are bigger, longer, blind spots, narrow road margins, more things to go wrong, etc.

Because the odds increase, we take more precautions. Frequently check tire pressures, install devices that will help you monitor things, install devices that help with driving, go to CAT scales, etc.

With that being said, we all have different perceptions as to how safe we are on the road. My perception is to know my own limitations and follow some of the guidelines presented upon me. My perception also feeds from experience. For example, I once had a Jeep Cherokee Sport that could easily tow the weight of a pop-up tent I had. Scared the heebie jeebies out of me a couple of times. I learned real quick that something was not safe and decided it was not worth it. Sold the Jeep and got a 1/2 ton truck and all problems went away.

When we went shopping for a new TT I knew what my Hemi Ram 1500 could tow. Of course, the salesman wanted to sell us the most he could. We decided that for our truck we didn't want anything longer than 25 feet. That would get us a nicely built TT well under our trucks capacity. It was a dream to drive and my perception was that the combination was as close as to 100% safe for us and others on the roads.

Now, to each his own, but my perception of the OPs setup is that it is dangerous. We all have different perceptions and I'm sure the OP's perception, along with others, is that he will be fine.

I'm assuming that the OP was looking for a safe/not-safe type of response. Maybe this should have been a poll. I vote = not-safe!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #115

Quote:
Why did you have to come along and make so much sense?

But I agree. After living in Moab for over 5 years; nothing surprises me, I have seen all types of rigs come through and some like the 3500 Duramax pulling a 10 foot popup to a Tacoma with a small 5th wheel and they both seem to be doing ok.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #116

500lbs.

14 inches.

This is embarrassing guys.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #117
Always Learning

Quote:
If the OP is confident in his judgement, then it's time to keep your opinions to yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
I'm assuming that the OP was looking for a safe/not-safe type of response. Maybe this should have been a poll.
I've been curious about that myself since JohnIII's posts. My initial response to JohnIII's comment above was that the OP obviously wasn't comfortable or asked the question by asking here- thus the input was invited.

BUT... I think that's not the case.

If I understand correctly, this thread started in the "towing pictures" thread with the OP just posting a photo of his setup. Some questions were asked which were off topic for the photo thread so it was pulled into its own and exploded from there.

I don't think the OP actually asked for input on his setup except for here, but that was in direct response to a comment made about it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ov845 View Post
JP..

What's wrong with my girl (TV)? She got plenty of life left. ;-)
Interesting how these things go. I think JohnIII makes a lot of great points.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've been curious about that myself since JohnIII's posts. My initial response to JohnIII's comment above was that the OP obviously wasn't comfortable or asked the question by asking here- thus the input was invited.

BUT... I think that's not the case.

If I understand correctly, this thread started in the "towing pictures" thread with the OP just posting a photo of his setup. Some questions were asked which were off topic for the photo thread so it was pulled into its own and exploded from there.

I don't think the OP actually asked for input on his setup except for here, but that was in direct response to a comment made about it:

Interesting how these things go. I think JohnIII makes a lot of great points.
He posted a photo of his setup, for his trouble he's gotten dogpiled since.

It's sad. It's also why forums are dying in general. I was on a beginner motorcycle forum and the same bullying mentality is so prevalent there that the forum has 1/10 of the posts it used to. It used to be dozens, hundreds of posts a day. Now if it hits ten I'm surprised.

So long as it's allowed to go on, it will go on. All because from behind a keyboard it's really easy to beat someone up.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
He posted a photo of his setup, for his trouble he's gotten dogpiled since.

It's sad. It's also why forums are dying in general. I was on a beginner motorcycle forum and the same bullying mentality is so prevalent there that the forum has 1/10 of the posts it used to. It used to be dozens, hundreds of posts a day. Now if it hits ten I'm surprised.

So long as it's allowed to go on, it will go on. All because from behind a keyboard it's really easy to beat someone up.
I don't think that's the issue at all. Some people come to these places looking for a specific answer to their question and when they don't get that the specific answer that they think they should have received they leave.

What's the whole point of this place if everyone says the exact same thing?

I didn't see any "bullying" going on. That word is so overused these days that it's lost it's original intent. A mutual disagreement isn't "bullying" at all.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #120
Mod free 5er

I vote for the moderators to close the thread. It is so far off the track it stinks.