Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #61
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficksters View Post
leo investigate accidents where I live and over loaded based on thr available numbers

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app
They still have to gather all the pcs and prove they were in/on the TV which a good lawyer could make mincemeat out of. Never heard of any lawsuit being won proving any rv/tv combo being overloaded. Would love to see some data disproving this observation on my part.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #62

Never argue with people who "never heard", they will drag you down to their level.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Old 05-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #63

negligence is not that hard to prove, it happens everyday. do what you think is right. If you wanna flip your tv and tt and risk hurting your family, thats your choice, but I will NEVER be ok with you risking my family by your negligence and lack of responsibility.

DD (3 year)
DS (6 months)
Old 05-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
That should be an interesting lawsuit seeing proof that the other vehicle was overloaded by who's standard and how do you get someone to pick up all the pcs and re-create the loaded vehicle.
One of my friends here is a recently retired CSP (Colo State Patrol) officer and he said that they have not cited any RV for overweight.

He said it is almost impossible to get a conviction for that kind of ticket. Take it for what it is worth.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #65
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficksters View Post
negligence is not that hard to prove, it happens everyday. do what you think is right. If you wanna flip your tv and tt and risk hurting your family, thats your choice, but I will NEVER be ok with you risking my family by your negligence and lack of responsibility.
No one is suggesting anything, just asking for some data to prove the point of being able to prove the case of an rv/tv being overloaded and causing an accident instead of all the speculation. Someone just cite a case in lieu of stating opinions/speculation/innuendoes/personal feelings, etc.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #66
Always Learning

Jeep Pulling Windjammer (from photo thread)

A while back, there was a lawyer who cited specific examples (without names, of course) and no one was happy with that. But, it was examples none the less.

This is a pointless argument. And Walke, you made me laugh.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #67
Site Team

I hope the setup works for the op and others on the road so we all can be safe. That said if a small car towing big camper wipe me out on the roadway and I live....................... do the math

Zelda the campin dog
Old 05-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I hope the setup works for the op and others on the road so we all can be safe. That said if a small car towing big camper wipe me out on the roadway and I live....................... do the math

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #69
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
That should be an interesting lawsuit seeing proof that the other vehicle was overloaded by who's standard and how do you get someone to pick up all the pcs and re-create the loaded vehicle.
X3
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #70
DDC

You would not just have to put forward the idea that you thought the setup was not up to parr, you must also prove that that was the cause of any accident and not anything else, it's just not that black and white.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #71

go ahead and risk it if you think its worth it.

DD (3 year)
DS (6 months)
Old 05-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
x2

DD (3 year)
DS (6 months)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #73

My gosh! Really people, does anyone know why the manufacturer sets weight restrictions? These restrictions also apply to vehicles with
passengers & cargo. No one has every seen a passenger van or car so loaded in the back the front end points up? How about 20 sheets of drywall in the back of a caravan? Those are set by the manufacturer by hp/torque, the frame/suspension tolerances. It up to the owner/driver keep their vehicles up to par. If noises, handling issues are present then it's the driver's responsibility to pull over & correct the issue. As far as wheel base been an issue. How is it a semi can pull 2 40' trailers? Semi having a short wheel base. This argument can go on & on. We all push things to the limit. Happy Camping Everyone!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #74
NELA

This argument can go on & on.

And it always does here.

As do the threads about attaching anything to the bumper and/or frame of an RV.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #75

This is why I rarely mention what I'm pulling my 5er with. I'm under GCVWR. I'm under towing capacity. I'm way under on axle rating. However, I'm over on payload.

Without airbags or any other help it sits just as level and pretty as you could want. Pulls it beautifully, no sway, no bouncing, the truck itself can, without trailer brakes, stop it on it's own in a reasonable distance.

Yet soon as I give specs I know it's on.

Chances are decked out loaded for bear he'll be roughly 500 pounds over per the specs given by him. Is it optimal? No. Could bigger do better? Sure, never have too much truck. Camping a few weeks ago I saw a road tractor pulling a 5er smaller than mine.

But he's right on his spec number and it's not like it's a Wrangler. It's wheelbase is 105" and a 2000 F150 has a 119" for a standard to 138" for a supercrew. 14 inches. This guy is getting beaten up over 500 pounds and 14 measly inches.

Would longer be better? Sure. Would that 14inches help? Nobody here will argue that. Would it be nice to be 500 under? No question.

But the amounts in question are trivial.

So how about y'all stop dogpiling the guy and go camping. It's like y'all have sand in your shorts or something.

ov845, how likely would it be for you to weigh it, loaded for a trip? Put some real numbers to all this privates waving going on.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
Old 05-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
This is why I rarely mention what I'm pulling my 5er with. I'm under GCVWR. I'm under towing capacity. I'm way under on axle rating. However, I'm over on payload.

Without airbags or any other help it sits just as level and pretty as you could want. Pulls it beautifully, no sway, no bouncing, the truck itself can, without trailer brakes, stop it on it's own in a reasonable distance.

Yet soon as I give specs I know it's on.

Chances are decked out loaded for bear he'll be roughly 500 pounds over per the specs given by him. Is it optimal? No. Could bigger do better? Sure, never have too much truck. Camping a few weeks ago I saw a road tractor pulling a 5er smaller than mine.

But he's right on his spec number and it's not like it's a Wrangler. It's wheelbase is 105" and a 2000 F150 has a 119" for a standard to 138" for a supercrew. 14 inches. This guy is getting beaten up over 500 pounds and 14 measly inches.

Would longer be better? Sure. Would that 14inches help? Nobody here will argue that. Would it be nice to be 500 under? No question.

But the amounts in question are trivial.

So how about y'all stop dogpiling the guy and go camping. It's like y'all have sand in your shorts or something.

ov845, how likely would it be for you to weigh it, loaded for a trip? Put some real numbers to all this privates waving going on.

Thank you SKnight. So far all the measuring & adjusting were done at the storage lot. Saturday I drove it around felt a little bouncy but no sway like before so I pulled into a parking lot & remeasured & turns out the nose on the trailer was higher so I order a 12" drop since I'm maxed out on a 10" drop. That should take care of my bouncing issue & set the trailer level. The jeep does pull this jammer nicely. I'm hard on vehicles so I make sure the upgraded parts I use are of quality such as my brakes. Rotors are slotted & cross drilled so they stay cool. Pads are ceramics for durability & longevity.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #77

have fun camping...

DD (3 year)
DS (6 months)
Old 05-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #78
Infractee

Argue TV WB Vs trailer length with this guy...
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #79
Incheon, S. Korea

Racer X! Cool...

@SKnight - you blew your cover! Better run and hide!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #80
10x

Your tranny is saying ouch!!
Closed Thread