Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
@SKnight - you blew your cover! Better run and hide!
Hahahaha! Bring it!

Last thing I'm worried about is a bunch of guys dogpiling me. I've found the best thing to do is just not feed it. It's just like back in school, you get backed into a corner, you keep pushing back and they keep ramping it up.

But if you stand strong and just walk away, they stand there frustrated. Luckily, in this world, they can't actually touch anyone.

There's a word for that, can't quite put my finger on it though.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
Old 05-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
That said if a small car towing big camper wipe me out on the roadway and I live....................... do the math
If some yuppie that's never even pulled a radio flyer wagon goes out and gets himself a 1 ton DRW and a 42' 5er (but he's "safe" because he is under on his weights) and wipes me out on the roadway and I live…….

No offense to you yuppies with the big fancy rigs.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #83
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If some yuppie that's never even pulled a radio flyer wagon goes out and gets himself a 1 ton DRW and a 42' 5er (but he's "safe" because he is under on his weights) and wipes me out on the roadway and I live…….

Being that yuppy - I can make the claim that I'm safer than if I were grossly overloaded.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #84

Quote:

A trainer with Nissan went through that exact thing with his parents. They retired, got bored with being around the house, got a wild hair to part time.

So..........they went out and got a 40ish foot DP, complete with air brakes, having never driven anything bigger than the Sentra they were now using as a toad.

There were stories. Stories involving the Sentra going flying through a wheat field (Driven away unscathed no less) and them figuring out the hard way that when you're in stop and go traffic you have to watch your air carefully, or your parking brakes will pop. Roadside assistance was called over that one. Luckily, no crashes or injuries but many, many close calls.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
Old 05-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #85

A lot of insinuating threats on an open forum....cool

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #86
Mez

To the original poster, what model is that Windjammer?

I have a RAM 2014 4x4, with a gear ratio of 3.92 which gives me 1400 payload and 10,150 TC. On a different forum I mentioned looking to buy it (Windjammer 3006WK) and was mutilated across the board by the "weight police" that it was way to big. Now I only ask because if that Jeep can haul it, then why am I being told I cant???

Let me know how it handles and also how you like the camper! Many safe and happy years camping to you!
Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #87
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez View Post
...I have a RAM 2014 4x4, with a gear ratio of 3.92 which gives me 1400 payload and 10,150 TC. On a different forum I mentioned looking to buy it (Windjammer 3006WK) and was mutilated across the board by the "weight police" that it was way to big. Now I only ask because if that Jeep can haul it, then why am I being told I cant???...
Because the weight police can't get away from the lawyer stickers. They live in a land of 3/4T only for pop ups and 1t-3t for anything over 20'.

Properly set up, you should be able to tow it without problems. Remember you don't have to go 65mph up hills and mountains. The semi's don't.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #88

I cant find a single case brought forward involving a reported over weight truck and RV in Canada. Here is a link to search out case law in Canada.

CanLII - Canadian Legal Information Institute
Old 05-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Because the weight police can't get away from the lawyer stickers. They live in a land of 3/4T only for pop ups and 1t-3t for anything over 20'.

Properly set up, you should be able to tow it without problems. Remember you don't have to go 65mph up hills and mountains. The semi's don't.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez View Post
To the original poster, what model is that Windjammer?

I have a RAM 2014 4x4, with a gear ratio of 3.92 which gives me 1400 payload and 10,150 TC. On a different forum I mentioned looking to buy it (Windjammer 3006WK) and was mutilated across the board by the "weight police" that it was way to big. Now I only ask because if that Jeep can haul it, then why am I being told I cant???

Let me know how it handles and also how you like the camper! Many safe and happy years camping to you!

I tow a 3006WK with a 2014 ram with 3.42 gears. I added airlift 1000 airbags and so far I really enjoy towing the trailer. We are using a propride hitch also. Haven't been to the scales yet but I am sure I am over the payload rating. I'm not sweating it.

Let me know if want more info on my experience with the RAM and 3006WK

Linc
Old 05-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #91
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:

And they all seem to worship some imaginary Forest River Judge that's going to throw the book at you for being a pound over. Some sort of weight police God I guess

Years camping....55
Old 05-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #92

Quote:

X2
Old 05-13-2014, 04:02 AM   #93

ov845, I used to have a similar rig, Jeep Commander with 4.7L pulling V-lite 26WRB. Your TT is a little longer and heavier. In most conditions the Jeep did well. The conditions I had trouble with we're steeper grades while towing in the west. The Jeep spent a fair amount of time in 3rd gear. Crosswinds and trucks will keep you on your toes. I tightened up the WDH which helped but did not eliminate the wind push.

Wheelbase make difference. The longer the better. I moved up to a crewcab pickup. I now have almost no wind issues. Trucks don't push it around when passing, and I don't feel much in the way of cross winds. I also arrive relaxed after 600 + miles of travel a day. With the Jeep I was pretty wired sometimes. Good luck.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
Old 05-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #94
Site Team

Quote:

Good point!
I guess its all in how you want to roll. I like to have more truck then less.
I know when I trucked up I really like the improvement in towing. Safer and a much more enjoyable drive

No offence taken. And for sure Im no yuppie

Zelda the campin dog
Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Being that yuppy - I can make the claim that I'm safer than if I were grossly overloaded.
Hey, I said " no offense!"

So, in order from safest to least safe:

1. A non-yuppie with way more TV than needed
2. A non-yuppie with enough TV
3. A non-yuppie slightly overloaded
4. A yuppie with way more TV than needed
5. A non-yuppie way overloaded
6. A yuppie with enough TV
7. A yuppie slightly overloaded
8. A yuppie way overloaded

I get the feeling the ep is going to disagree with me on all but 1 and 8.

Forgive all the "yuppie" talk. I'm a Duck Dynasty fan.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #96
Site Team

Quote:

Bet you have the T shirt too

Zelda the campin dog
Old 05-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Bet you have the T shirt too
Sorry to burst your bubble; no t-shirts. But I would wear one proudly. I even have all of my teeth and a college degree.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #98
Always Learning

Quote:

I've chuckled the couple of times I watched the show- but don't quite get the love for the show (we have friends who are diehard fans- they have the mugs, t-shirts, hats, etc.).

But, to be honest- I think that's a pretty fair assessment of order of "off the cuff" safety. As I've said before, I think there's no match for experience - I'd much rather see a guy like you, ChooChooMan or OldCoot behind the wheel of anything than other folks.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #99
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've chuckled the couple of times I watched the show- but don't quite get the love for the show (we have friends who are diehard fans- they have the mugs, t-shirts, hats, etc.).

But, to be honest- I think that's a pretty fair assessment of order of "off the cuff" safety. As I've said before, I think there's no match for experience - I'd much rather see a guy like you, ChooChooMan or OldCoot behind the wheel of anything than other folks.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. But this towing small stuff is still new to me. When I was towing race cars in the 90s all over the Northeast, even grossly overweight with a dually, it has a totally different feel than my Jeep towing the Roo. Then again, running trains has made the "run by the seat of your pants" feeling much more sensitive to any movements I feel. BUT, If the finances were right, I would much rather have a truck... And will one of these days.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #100

Quote:

Define yuppie? I work in an office environment, wear suits as needed, report to CFO's, CEO's Directors but I also do all my truck maintenance, brake pads rotors, change all fluids, I mean all, change belts, batteries, glow plugs in my MB 3.0 Jeep GC diesel, program my 5.9 Cummins ECM etc. I also watch vampire, zombie, rom coms, Ducks or anything else I fancy. I use foul language too much, take my wife out on dates, coach soccer and go RVing wherever to take all 3 of my kids to places they have never seen all while letting my Dodge roll the coal to see the grin on my sons face.

Really!!! Calling one a yuppie or redneck is very self riotous but ok call me what you want if you feel better doing that....

My rant is over
Closed Thread