Old 03-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #1

Jeep Wrangler Toad Owners

This question is for the Wrangler owners who flat tow, I currently have a Roadmaster Falcon2 towbar, Roadmaster baseplate, and a Brake Buddy. The last item i believe I need is some kind of wiring and diode system for the brake/ running lights. What wiring kits have you used that are easy for the non-electrically skilled? Something plug and play? Thanks.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
AD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
This question is for the Wrangler owners who flat tow, I currently have a Roadmaster Falcon2 towbar, Roadmaster baseplate, and a Brake Buddy. The last item i believe I need is some kind of wiring and diode system for the brake/ running lights. What wiring kits have you used that are easy for the non-electrically skilled? Something plug and play? Thanks.

We are in the process of buying a wrangler to flat tow behind our FR3 28DS. I found a plug in kit on the mopar website. Part number 82211156AB, tow vehicle wiring harness that is supposed to plug into the factory wiring harness to allow you to plug into a RV 7 pin. There is not much of a description on the website nor did I find install instructions. I will be doing some phone dialing on Monday to see what I can find.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

Hmmm thanks. I'll look into that as well
Old 03-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #4

The Mopar kit is a B E A R to install requiring fender removal and hole saws for firewall access. Consider a diode or extra bulb kit (the way I went) instead.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
The Mopar kit is a B E A R to install requiring fender removal and hole saws for firewall access. Consider a diode or extra bulb kit (the way I went) instead.

Which kit did you use? Easy install?
Old 03-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #6

I went with this kit that I bought from eTrailer Roadmaster Tail Light Wiring Kit with Bulbs

A Diode kit would have been a much easier install but I wanted to keep the toad bulbs independent from the Jeep wiring altogether - I have a hitch on the Jeep with a harness for trailer lighting and didn't know if the diode kit would have played nicely with it. It probably would have but getting everything else ready was confusing enough.

Running cables back to the taillights was the most work, and you'll need a hole saw to cut holes in the taillight housing for the new bulb sockets too. My Wrangler is a 2008 JK.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
I went with this kit that I bought from eTrailer Roadmaster Tail Light Wiring Kit with Bulbs

A Diode kit would have been a much easier install but I wanted to keep the toad bulbs independent from the Jeep wiring altogether - I have a hitch on the Jeep with a harness for trailer lighting and didn't know if the diode kit would have played nicely with it. It probably would have but getting everything else ready was confusing enough.

Running cables back to the taillights was the most work, and you'll need a hole saw to cut holes in the taillight housing for the new bulb sockets too. My Wrangler is a 2008 JK.
Isnt that more work than the mopar kit ?
Old 03-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
AD2

I did some research and got the install instructions. While not easy it doesn't appear to be impossible. I also found out if you buy the mopar part and have it installed jeep will cover it all under warranty. If you install a non mopar diode kit or drill your existing rear tail lights and you have electrical problems they can deny warranty. Will they? Don't know, don't want to find out. Buying the mopar part, dealer install, warranty intact. I haven't found out about the tow bar or brake yet. I could not find either on the mopar site. I am going to work with the jeep dealer on these also just in case.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #9

The harness is as far as jeep goes for factory parts.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #10

Jeep Wrangler Toad Owners

If you look in the classifieds here, you can find the brake buddy and tow bar.
Then you just need a base plate.

I like this one. No bumper removal.
Easy. It replaces the plastic " skid plate".

http://m.quadratec.com/products/prod...id=92012+26+07

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Tags
toad