Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Chewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 600
Jeep Wrangler Toad Owners

This question is for the Wrangler owners who flat tow, I currently have a Roadmaster Falcon2 towbar, Roadmaster baseplate, and a Brake Buddy. The last item i believe I need is some kind of wiring and diode system for the brake/ running lights. What wiring kits have you used that are easy for the non-electrically skilled? Something plug and play? Thanks.
__________________

__________________
I used to have a really nice motorhome
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
AD2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
This question is for the Wrangler owners who flat tow, I currently have a Roadmaster Falcon2 towbar, Roadmaster baseplate, and a Brake Buddy. The last item i believe I need is some kind of wiring and diode system for the brake/ running lights. What wiring kits have you used that are easy for the non-electrically skilled? Something plug and play? Thanks.

We are in the process of buying a wrangler to flat tow behind our FR3 28DS. I found a plug in kit on the mopar website. Part number 82211156AB, tow vehicle wiring harness that is supposed to plug into the factory wiring harness to allow you to plug into a RV 7 pin. There is not much of a description on the website nor did I find install instructions. I will be doing some phone dialing on Monday to see what I can find.
__________________

__________________
Anthony & Amy Dennis
AD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Chewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 600
Hmmm thanks. I'll look into that as well
__________________
I used to have a really nice motorhome
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
Member
 
khocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Midland Park, NJ
Posts: 97
The Mopar kit is a B E A R to install requiring fender removal and hole saws for firewall access. Consider a diode or extra bulb kit (the way I went) instead.
__________________
==================
2015 Sunseeker MBS 2400R
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Chewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
The Mopar kit is a B E A R to install requiring fender removal and hole saws for firewall access. Consider a diode or extra bulb kit (the way I went) instead.

Which kit did you use? Easy install?
__________________
I used to have a really nice motorhome
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
Member
 
khocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Midland Park, NJ
Posts: 97
I went with this kit that I bought from eTrailer Roadmaster Tail Light Wiring Kit with Bulbs

A Diode kit would have been a much easier install but I wanted to keep the toad bulbs independent from the Jeep wiring altogether - I have a hitch on the Jeep with a harness for trailer lighting and didn't know if the diode kit would have played nicely with it. It probably would have but getting everything else ready was confusing enough.

Running cables back to the taillights was the most work, and you'll need a hole saw to cut holes in the taillight housing for the new bulb sockets too. My Wrangler is a 2008 JK.
__________________
==================
2015 Sunseeker MBS 2400R
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
I went with this kit that I bought from eTrailer Roadmaster Tail Light Wiring Kit with Bulbs

A Diode kit would have been a much easier install but I wanted to keep the toad bulbs independent from the Jeep wiring altogether - I have a hitch on the Jeep with a harness for trailer lighting and didn't know if the diode kit would have played nicely with it. It probably would have but getting everything else ready was confusing enough.

Running cables back to the taillights was the most work, and you'll need a hole saw to cut holes in the taillight housing for the new bulb sockets too. My Wrangler is a 2008 JK.
Isnt that more work than the mopar kit ?
__________________
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
AD2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 55
I did some research and got the install instructions. While not easy it doesn't appear to be impossible. I also found out if you buy the mopar part and have it installed jeep will cover it all under warranty. If you install a non mopar diode kit or drill your existing rear tail lights and you have electrical problems they can deny warranty. Will they? Don't know, don't want to find out. Buying the mopar part, dealer install, warranty intact. I haven't found out about the tow bar or brake yet. I could not find either on the mopar site. I am going to work with the jeep dealer on these also just in case.
__________________
Anthony & Amy Dennis
AD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
The harness is as far as jeep goes for factory parts.



2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
Jeep Wrangler Toad Owners

If you look in the classifieds here, you can find the brake buddy and tow bar.
Then you just need a base plate.

I like this one. No bumper removal.
Easy. It replaces the plastic " skid plate".

http://m.quadratec.com/products/prod...id=92012+26+07


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________

__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
toad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.