Old 06-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #1

Jeep Wrangler Toad Tread Wear Issue

Our first big trip (3700mi total) and I've noticed about 2000mi in that there is some uneven treadwear on the two front tires of my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. We've got a dead flat tow bar connection from the 2018 Sunseeker 3050S. The steering wheel does not lock. The tires are the BF Goodrich Mud-terrain T/As LT255/75 R17 and the Jeep is not lifted. I'm using the Stay-in-play duo for vehicle braking

Any help would be appreciated...
Rob

robdasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #2

Not towing a Jeep but when I had everything installed on our Hyundai Elantra sport the tech did say we would probably see wear on the from faster with towing.

Only about 1,600 towing miles so far but Im getting them rotated each oil change to keep them evened out.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport Toad
2015 Harley CVO (retirement bike )
2015 Challenger ( Wife's Toy)
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #3

Rob, how many total miles on those tires ? I have the same Jeep and tires, and have had tire issues since about 22,000 miles. Reading numerous posts on the Jeep Wrangler forum shows those tires need rotated every 2,500 mi ! I had been having them rotated at 5000 mi.

When I asked my Jeep dealer where I have had the oil change & tires rotated every 5000 mi , they agreed with the 2,500 mile rotation ???? But never mentioned it to me ????

Anyway, it may not be the flat towing, but those specific BF MT tires !

I hope that is what it is, and when replaced I will be going with a AT tire !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #4

I've never "toad" anything but could the unusual tire wear have something to do with the Jeep "steering inputs" coming from the tow bar and not driver inputs on the steering wheel? There must a bit of tire scrubbing as the tow par pulls the Jeep into a turn. And does the steering "center" after a turn or is it still in a slight turn as the Jeep is pulled straight?
Old 06-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
D W

Certainly understandable. The steering geometry is designed with a thrust angle from the drive wheels and not being dragged around from the front. There was a fellow on this forum several months ago who had a small Chevy as a toad (can't recall what model), and he complained of the front tires on the toad squealing on every turn. It was evident to me that the MH was dragging the front of the toad on turns.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #6

Some Jeep models have experienced some wobble in the front if the vehicle has electric power steering. This was the case with our 2016 Cherokee. A Fiat approved and dealer installed mod allows me to turn on power steering while towing. One problem which Jeep put in writing but refuses to fix is that this mod can drain the battery in as little as 3 hours. A RV shop ran a 12V line which has cured the problem but I have to remember to remove a fuse when unhitching.
Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = NaNa & NiuNiu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #7

I have had the same issue. 2016 Dynamax 37BH with a 2016 Rubicon JKU with BFG KM2's on it. We have over 20,000miles flat towing and another 25,000miles driven in the jeep alone. Very uneven tread wear, noise, and vibration from the tires from about a year in. They're obviously a softer and more aggressive tread as a MT so probably not the best for flat towing that many miles. Hope to get them changed out to KO2's (AT) this summer to see if there is much of a difference. Only rotated the tires about every 5,000 miles since new and never heard about rotating them at 2,500 but it makes sense to even out the wear.
Hey_nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I've never "toad" anything but could the unusual tire wear have something to do with the Jeep "steering inputs" coming from the tow bar and not driver inputs on the steering wheel? There must a bit of tire scrubbing as the tow par pulls the Jeep into a turn. And does the steering "center" after a turn or is it still in a slight turn as the Jeep is pulled straight?
Nope, I have a 2016 Willys Wrangler (same suspension as Rubicon) and towed it over 20K miles and the tires look fine. They track just like you are steering them. They are 35's and Jeep has a 4" lift now but stock lift/tires were towed for 10K with no problems. I Rotate every 5K miles.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #9

Toad

I had a Class A Winnebago Vista that I towed my 2014 wrangler jk rubicon with, level hitch with a 8 drop. No noticeable tire wear on the Jeep. Bought a Class C Isata 3 and to put a 6 riser to get a level hitch, noticed obvious tire wear on the Jeep after 1 trip. Now towing a 2012 Chevy Sonic over 3000 miles and showing no tire wear. The Jeep tires are the factory BFG mud and terrain with 28000 miles on them, All the tires are worn the same (cupped)

2014 Jeep JK Rubicon
TINSEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #10

Ball joints

We flat tow our 2012 Wrangler Sport wiith a Blue Ox Adventa tow bar. In 15,000+ miles of towing, no issues. We run Good Year Wrangler tires. When i bought the Jeep, used, in 2016, with 45,000 mies on it, my mechanic noticed some play in the ball joints and replaced them. Maybe thats your issue.
Open Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for your input. I bought my Rubi used at 42k miles. I am pretty sure they were not the original tires... I'll have my mechanic check some of these things when I get home. Talked to a few other folks we've ran into along the way on our trip and they run less aggressive tires and have no issues.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #12

How did you resolve this

I to towed my 2019 Jeep Wrangler for the first time this month. I am using a Roadmaster Sterling towbar and base plate. The hitch and attachment to the Jeep is about an inch difference in height from the ground. At about 2000 miles during the trip I noticed new road noise and not as smooth of a ride. After returning home and completing 3000 miles the noise and ride were noticeably worse. Upon inspection of the front tires ( BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain TA KM) I noticed that there was obvious wear to different points, some of the raised tread is 1/2 inch lower than others, the wear has no rhyme or reason, it appears to be random. Has anyone resolved this issue? Thanks!
DGDLRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #13

Thumbs up It was the tires...

Hi everyone...

Thanks very much for all your input. As I mentioned these were the factory spec Mud Terrain tires with very aggressive tread. There were no problems with my steering or alignment. The guy at Discount and the guy at Firestone both said that the culprit is the tire itself. There wasn't a straight pattern in the tread on the Mud Terrain tire at all. It was just such an aggressive pattern that they were "scrubbing." I replaced them with Firestone Destination AT tires. Still looks great and performs really well, but after several thousand more towing miles, no weird wear patterns.

Happy Camping!
Rob

Tags
toad