Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
A cushioned weight distribution insert might help your front and back motion issue.

Convert-A-Ball Cushioned Weight Distribution Shank for 2" Hitches - 10,000 lbs Convert-A-Ball Accessories and Parts AMAC1

I use this insert and it works well for me. Good luck!
I have used a cushioned shank on my wifes SUV when we towed our popup, it made a world of difference.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #22
Brigitte

[QUOTE=mtnguy;130361]If you have all of the links under stress between snap up brackets and the spring bars, then you may be able to use 1 link less (under stress) and get better weight distributing for the time being before you get the 1200 lb spring bars. You may also be able to tilt the head assembly forward, and use even less links if ground clearance is a problem.

You will probably need to adjust everything, and do the fender measurements again once you get the 1200 lb. bars.

I got 800 lb. bars with my setup, and kept tilting the hear assembly back to get the proper weight distributing with my 700 lb. tongue weight. I bought 1200 lb. bars, but after a couple of trips I felt they were just too stiff. I also had a rub problem with the spring bars and the dual cam yoke, so per Reese, I went with a 1" raised ball. I was able to go back to the 800 lb. spring bars, with the head assembly tilted all of the way back, and now "just barely" get the lift that I need with 5 links of chain under stress. With your listed dry weight of 750 lbs. on the tongue, I can see where you can be having the problem. The 1200 lb. bars will probably be a much better fit.[/QUOTE

hope my class IV receiver hitch will be ok for it all
rated for 1045 lbs
This is sure a learning experience for me!!
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #23
Brigitte

Ok so install is complete, looks good but...
not sure what to expect. Loud noises when turning corners. Got out and see the the trunion bars are not completely sitting into the cam. Is that normal operation when not driving straight?
http://www.forestriverforums.com/Pho...&size=big&cat=

this is after the drive home.
the bars where sitting in their position before the drive. We are on the 6th chain link
Timbrens
Old 09-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #24
Brigitte

Chucking not so bad, pulls nice and straight. Haven't been on highway yet, top speed up to 90 km/hr, met a few transport trucks, didn't feel a thing ( didn't felle them without the sway comtrol either). 2300 RPM on moderate incline. Pretty good but that's coming from me with no experience.
Timbrens
Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

boubou, if you are getting the proper weight distributing, then you setup looks great......except for a couple of things. I don't have the installation manual in front of me, but I think the nuts to the u-bolt on the hanger bracket is supposed to be facing the towards the outside. Also, the dual cams need to fit exactly in the crook of the spring bar when your truck and trailer are in a straight line. You need to go to a parking lot, drive straight ahead to get your trailer and truck in a straight line, then adjust the yokes so that the cam rides in the spring bar notch. That should be spelled out in the installation and setup manual. Once that is done, then do the fender measurements to make sure you are getting enough weight back on your TV front axle.

I am seeing a slight bend in the spring bars, which is good, but it never hurts to do the fender measurements to make sure you a putting enough weight on the front axle of you truck, or to make sure you are not putting too much weight up there.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm, your hanger brackets seem to be bent, where mine are straight. Might be a new design to keep the cam away from the frame more. Double check your instructions to make sure which way the bend is supposed to face, and also which way the u-bolt should face......that might be different now with the new design.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #27
Brigitte

I measured the front before and after and it's very close so that's good.
When in straight line at tge shop the bars sat straight. These pics were taken in a curve. Didn't think to look if they went un straigh after because I didn't know thay they were supposed toove that way. I'll check it out.
As for the U bolts, i don't know
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
boubou, if you are getting the proper weight distributing, then you setup looks great......except for a couple of things. I don't have the installation manual in front of me, but I think the nuts to the u-bolt on the chain hanger at the cam is supposed to be facing the towards the outside. Also, the dual cams need to fit exactly in the crook of the spring bar when your truck and trailer are in a straight line. You need to go to a parking lot, drive straight ahead to get your trailer and truck in a straight line, then adjust the yokes so that the cam rides in the spring bar notch. That should be spelled out in the installation and setup manual. Once that is done, then do the fender measurements to make sure you are getting enough weight back on your TV front axle.

I am seeing a slight bend in the spring bars, which is good, but it never hurts to do the fender measurements to make sure you a putting enough weight on the front axle of you truck, or to make sure you are not putting too much weight up there.
Timbrens
Old 09-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #28
Brigitte

I'm not at home right now so I can't look at instructions but i will later. Thanks!
Timbrens
Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

The bars moving on the cam is what give you the sway control. During a turn, 1 bar is going to be "short", and the other "long". The spring bars try to settle around the cams, bringing the vehicle back into a straight line after a turn. That is why it is very important to get the cams exactly in the notch of the spring bar, when going straight. If not done properly, your vehicle may "pull" to 1 side or the other, due to the spring bars settling around the cam .

Another important thing that is not mentioned much about, is to mark your spring bars so that you put them back on the same side every time. If your spring bars are not identical in length from the sockets in front to the cam, then that might affect the straight line effect also. I have mine marked "port" and "starboard"......that is left and right to you land lubbers.

Looks and sounds like you are getting that puppy setup properly.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #30
Brigitte

Quote:
Hmmm, your hanger brackets seem to be bent, where mine are straight. Might be a new design to keep the cam away from the frame more. Double check your instructions to make sure which way the bend is supposed to face, and also which way the u-bolt should face......that might be different now with the new design.
I looked at the installation instructions and the U bolts should be facing inwards like they are on my set up
Timbrens
Old 09-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #31
Brigitte

I seem to be having a hard time putting the bars flush into the cams in a straight line. I 'll go get that looked at.
The drive today (first drive other than bringing tt home) was good. On the highway kept speed around 90 km/hr (55 mph). No wind but wet roads. Semi trucks passed us and we didn't feel any sway
Timbrens
Old 09-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #32
Brigitte

I should add that the hitch was installed before the trailer was loaded.
Timbrens
Old 09-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
I seem to be having a hard time putting the bars flush into the cams in a straight line.
Not exactly sure what you are trying to say.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #34
Brigitte

Quote:
Not exactly sure what you are trying to say.
Now that the trailer is loaded, I place the trunion bars on the the cams and when I put the chains on, the bars no longer sit centered (meaning the curved side thay should be sitting on the cam is not) and seems a bit short
Timbrens
Old 09-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

You will need to adjust the cams just a little to allow for the loaded camper. Sounds like you are really getting the dual cams dialed in.....it should do a great job on the road. But before you do any more adjusting, let's do a follow up on your parallel thread to see what is going on with your weight distributing.

Tags
reese, shasta, shasta revere, towing