Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Word of warning. There is not plenty of room under the axle. Do not have anything below scrub line of rims. If some part of suspension is below scrub line and you get a blow out, that part could grab the road and all hell would happen. Trailer is no different than a vehicle when it comes to scrub lines.
If you look at his pictures, he has at least an inch or 2 of space below the axle. The scrub line would be the rim or drum which is well below the shock brackets.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #22

Just covering the statement. Not all trailers are the same. Just putting the information out there to be aware. That's all!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #23

I installed just the way co told me to
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:42 AM   #24
Always Learning

All told, this install cost me about a grand with the extra work with the propane line and work they had to do to get it installed. I don't know if they ever called JoyRider for assistance; I provided the number over the weekend.

Grand total for JoyRider shocks + paying an installer - about $1,500.

I drove it for about an hour from Redlands to Anaheim in CA. I hadn't towed on these roads before; just drove in the truck. In the truck, I can say that these roads are a really uncomfortable bouncy ride; it makes your fat jiggle. Strange sensation. I can say, that we had similar levels of upheaval in the camper as other drives- maybe it would have been worse without the shocks; maybe not. Like I said, these roads sucked.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
All told, this install cost me about a grand with the extra work with the propane line and work they had to do to get it installed. I don't know if they ever called JoyRider for assistance; I provided the number over the weekend.

Grand total for JoyRider shocks + paying an installer - about $1,500.

I drove it for about an hour from Redlands to Anaheim in CA. I hadn't towed on these roads before; just drove in the truck. In the truck, I can say that these roads are a really uncomfortable bouncy ride; it makes your fat jiggle. Strange sensation. I can say, that we had similar levels of upheaval in the camper as other drives- maybe it would have been worse without the shocks; maybe not. Like I said, these roads sucked.
What ever you do in California, DO NOT TAKE I-5 It is worst road in the USA. Most of California's highways are concrete, And just think of all the trucks and cars going over them everyday. Even with there high tax on fuel they just can't keep up. I lived in the Bay Area for 25 years and know the system pretty well. God I miss that State just can't afford to retire in it.... PS: towing a trailer in SC could be a nightmare at times pick your times to travel.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:11 AM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
What ever you do in California, DO NOT TAKE I-5 It is worst road in the USA. Most of California's highways are concrete, And just think of all the trucks and cars going over them everyday. Even with there high tax on fuel they just can't keep up. I lived in the Bay Area for 25 years and know the system pretty well. God I miss that State just can't afford to retire in it....

This was mostly Route 91, but I think it was also concrete. We were only on I-5 for 4-5 miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449652283.480785.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	95826
Old 12-09-2015, 06:48 AM   #27

Yikes! $1500.00 would have gone a long ways towards installing a Mor-Ryde IS which would be my first choice. Hope this works out for you.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #28

Quote:
This was mostly Route 91, but I think it was also concrete. We were only on I-5 for 4-5 miles.

Attachment 95826
Espendeydad, did that come off your phone? I guess I'm going to get me one but my wife's fighting me on it. we have the throw away phones. What Phone do you have and recommend being your the high tech guy on this forum?...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #29

joy schocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Yikes! $1500.00 would have gone a long ways towards installing a Mor-Ryde IS which would be my first choice. Hope this works out for you.
I only paid 269.fao a set of them
Old 12-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #30

yes it does I have a trailer air and with the shocks it rides great
Old 12-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post

Yeah, I would have preferred the Mor-Ryde IS, but didn't want to invest that kind of money. I never imagined this would end up costing $1,500!

Quote:
Espendeydad, did that come off your phone? I guess I'm going to get me one but my wife's fighting me on it. we have the throw away phones. What Phone do you have and recommend being your the high tech guy on this forum?...

I personally am an iPhone person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire1946 View Post
yes it does I have a trailer air and with the shocks it rides great

Glad to hear it. I'm looking forward to getting some miles on the camper. I'll put 2,500 on in January.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Just tell her you accidentally dropped your phone and ran over it. But the current smart phones are way over priced, I don't have a high end one but between mid and high, paid over 650 each, one for me and my DW. Although were paying monthly for two yrs. I have the Samsung note 4, or Phablet if you will.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #33

Quote:

Attachment 95826
The ride is smoother if you have a short bed regular cab and not towing. But I didn't enjoy driving on the I5 in a dually crew cab and long box towing a TT. It's like I went through a milkshake machine.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #34

Been down I5 many times towing fiver with a 2001 F350 crew cab long bed and was not bad at all. With my 1995 extended cab dually was like a roller coaster and the seat belt would tighten up you would have to unlatch retract and put back on every so many miles just to keep from getting squeezed to death.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Put shocks on my Flagstaff for the cost of the 4 shocks. Torsion axles too.

Tags
trailer