Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Joy rider trailer shock system.

In talking with the owner of tweetys rv parts this morning he told me about this great ride control product for tt's and 5th wheels designed and built by the man who used to work for lippert and designed all there ride control products including the 5th airborne.

Looking into these for the Columbus.

JOY RIDER RV Ride Control

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

You can't go wrong adding shocks to any rv trailer. Makes a world of difference with respect to how the trailer reacts to swales & bumps in the road and the way the truck rides. Makes all the difference in the world.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Didn't see in add if they'd work on torsion style as is.....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

Looks like they only have kits for the Antique type spring systems! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Didn't see in add if they'd work on torsion style as is.....
You saw a torsion suspension with shocks or at least that's what you said you were looking at. I suspect now you were just taking another nap.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
Always Learning

My issue with the Joy Ride system is the company - I submitted an email to them and didn't hear back. Though, I used a different website - RV Improvement Systems.

I should have called, but was busy.

Otherwise, I tried having the place in Colorado Springs get and install them and they claimed it would be worse in the trailer than without. I already didn't have great vibes from them and didn't pursue it. I'll look again soon enough for the Sabre to find somewhere to install them.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Joy Rider Shocks for Fifth Wheel

I looked into getting this system for my Wildcat earlier this year (just haven't done it yet). I spoke with the owner and he offered to help arrange the install. For me in the Dallas area that was Camping World. If I plan on a trip up to Elkhart, he was going to hook me up with his guys there. He also travels to Quartzite and other shows and said he would be willing to the install himself if I plan to attend any that he has scheduled.

This was a nice video that Henderson's did last year

Trailer Life had a nice article on them last year. This is the Trailer Life TV Installation Video where their guys installed a set on a Grand Design Reflections Fifth Wheel

Sonny is very easy to talk to so I suggest you just give him a call on his cell phone. Here's his contact info:

Sonny Dismuke
RV Improvement Systems
Cell 574-370-4515
Elkhart, In
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #8

I have put it on my 5th wheel and have used it one time .ride is great. the hardest part of putting the joy ride on it drilling the hole in the frame . great item not sure if I'm going to put the disk breaks on yet.
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:49 AM   #9

sorry but put the joy rider on a 2014 cedar creek 38 fl
Old 10-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #10

I do not understand how a spring company can claim that putting a shock kit on a any trailer could make things "worse" any trailer system weather spring or torsion has road shock and vibrations that will be transferred to the frame of the trailer that will then go into the structure of the trailer that will then go into the truck pulling it.
One of the biggest issues with trailers it that the systems used are so old that is it dose little to help not doing damage to the coach, and the bigger and heavier it is the worse the damage can be. So i would try a second company for advice even though i know they are supposed to be respected company.
Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
I do not understand how a spring company can claim that putting a shock kit on a any trailer could make things "worse" any trailer system weather spring or torsion has road shock and vibrations that will be transferred to the frame of the trailer that will then go into the structure of the trailer that will then go into the truck pulling it.
One of the biggest issues with trailers it that the systems used are so old that is it dose little to help not doing damage to the coach, and the bigger and heavier it is the worse the damage can be. So i would try a second company for advice even though i know they are supposed to be respected company.
Happy Camping
This was a small repair shop in Colorado Springs. I didn't have it in me to argue with them - basically, if they didn't want to do it, I didn't want to spend that money with them.

I have now swapped emails with folks via the website link that Turbs provided and it looks like there is a shop in California near where we'll be staying in December. I'll take it there and have them do it.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Sonny Dismuke
RV Improvement Systems
Cell 574-370-4515
Elkhart, In
Sonny was superbly helpful in me getting this ordered. Very attentive and helpful over email and on the telephone.

But really, I'm just bumping this thread to remind myself that it's here and to comment on it after next week once the install is completed.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #13
Always Learning

Dropped the camper off at the service center this morning (actually got there last night and slept on the street out in front of their place- pretty nice that they have two 50amp plugs for folks). The tech's first glance at things is that my hard propane line (it runs the length of the camper) will be in the way of the mounting brackets. They're going to have to move it and see how they get on.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
Always Learning

I checked on the camper yesterday and found that the JoyRider installation was going painfully.

First, a hard propane line was in the way on one side. They had to plan for re-routing it around that area.

Second, with an I-beam frame, the holes drilled in the brackets would have meant that the corresponding holes in the frame wouldn't line up. They ended up having to weld the brackets in place.

Third, the original u-bolts weren't nearly long enough, so they had to replace those.

And finally, the installation instructions call for 14" of uncompressed space in the shock (or something). One of 4 made it to 13 3/4"; the remainder were low 13s or in the 12s. I think the last discussion was drilling a new hole in the bracket or something.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449356282.932813.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	95635

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449356322.886910.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	95636

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449356451.202526.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	95637

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449356499.892051.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	95638

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449356548.665873.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	95639
Old 12-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #15
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Looks like it wasn't as smooth as expected. But at least it appears the installers handed the issues. That leaves me with a couple of curious questions. Did Sonny consult on the work around? Most important, how's the ride?
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Looks like it wasn't as smooth as expected. But at least it appears the installers handed the issues. That leaves me with a couple of curious questions. Did Sonny consult on the work around? Most important, how's the ride?

I don't know if they've reached out to him. They still have the unit so I haven't taken it for a test drive yet. It'll definitely be put to the test here in SoCal - these roads aren't "bad" with potholes or anything, but they're definitely not smooth.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don't know if they've reached out to him. They still have the unit so I haven't taken it for a test drive yet. It'll definitely be put to the test here in SoCal - these roads aren't "bad" with potholes or anything, but they're definitely not smooth.
Nope, if you take I5 NB starting at Bakersfield for the next 15 miles. That will definitely test your new shocks

That was my mistake when I headed to Oregon, should have used 99 north instead and connect to I5 up in northern California .
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:35 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Question, why not just make longer axle brackets to get the 14" travel? Plenty of clearance under the axle.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:08 AM   #19

I installed my joy riders in about a day hardest part was drilling the frame. was told never to weld any thing to frame .will void war.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #20

Word of warning. There is not plenty of room under the axle. Do not have anything below scrub line of rims. If some part of suspension is below scrub line and you get a blow out, that part could grab the road and all hell would happen. Trailer is no different than a vehicle when it comes to scrub lines.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer