Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Always Learning

Just checked tire pressures - 1 out of 10 was low

And a lot low- like 9 pounds low (71 vs. 80 psi). The other 3 camper tires were spot on.

The truck was actually showing a little high and I bled some air out of them - I guess with the warmer daytime/nighttime temperatures.

My last check was before my trip on April 1.

Thoughts? Keep in mind I'm kind of a mechanical idiot. I'll check the pressure tomorrow before we leave and again Sunday before we head home.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #2

I'd start by examining the 'low' tire really well for screws/nails or punctures. Try pouring a cup of water down the tread and watch for air bubbles. Then do the same thing to your valve stem and stem shrader valve(the doo-hickey you pushed with your finger to let air out).
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Always Learning

"the doo-hickey" - ok, I'm not that bad. :-)

I'll definitely take a look and see what I can see.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #4

Did you ever find where you leak was from?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #5

We got a Tire Minder from Camping World and extra sensors to monitor all 10 tires, both pressure and temperature. Worth every penny in piece of mind alone!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Always Learning

Haven't looked yet. I broke my safety rules and just towed it there and back in blissful ignorance of what I was risking. The camper is home today before I take it back to storage and I plan on looking at it more closely.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Always Learning

Looks like some kinda nail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3669324399.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	28701

So- now what? I've changed 1/2 of 1 tire once (I was helping someone). The camper is at home, in front of the house.

I just signed up for GoodSams roadside assistance - I think tomorrow is the earliest I can call them. Do I have them swap the spare into place? Any idea if the nail can be removed and tire fixed?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #8

If I'm seeing it correctly, it looks like the nail is very close to the edge. When I was at Discount Tire last week (having my nail removed) I noticed a sign that said they don't consider it fixable if its within 1/2" of the side. YMMV.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Do I have them swap the spare into place?...
If you do that, how do you get the tire back on after you get it fixed? Sounds to me like you should inflate it and drive/tow it to the tire place.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Looks like some kinda nail.

Attachment 28701

So- now what? I've changed 1/2 of 1 tire once (I was helping someone). The camper is at home, in front of the house.

I just signed up for GoodSams roadside assistance - I think tomorrow is the earliest I can call them. Do I have them swap the spare into place? Any idea if the nail can be removed and tire fixed?
Remembered an old thread here that might be worth bringing back up. I also described my quick method for changing a tire. The tire might be able to be repaired (patched), but you need to take it to a tire shop to see what they say (not sure if anyone still does this or not, but do not let them just plug it.)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ire-27998.html
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #11

I would replace the tire. The patch will be a weak spot on the tire and a higher risk of a blow out.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Always Learning

Other views of the tire/nail. It does seem pretty close to the edge.

QCC- that thread hits pretty close to home! I do carry my torque wrench and my sockets fit (I've ensured the tires were torqued to 100 psi at least- no clue if they're way higher; I've just been checking that my wrench clicks). I'd never thought of using the LynxLevelers to raise up the one tire so it hangs free. Sure woulda made finding the nail a lot easier if it was free spinning (I pulled the truck/camper forward, would run back and lay down and look and then go do it again). I'm going to have to try it.

I have no idea how the aluminum pretty wheels/hubs??? come off or go on or anything.

I guess my plan was always just to call GoodSam ERS (like I've used AAA a couple of times in the past- never for a tire, knock on wood!).

Barry - I was thinking the spare is the same tire as the rest and would be able to be the new driver's side rear tire. I didn't actually look and really don't know.

Guess I've got some learning to do... fortunately, the next trip isn't until mid-May.

And finally, I'm pretty mad at myself for not checking this before I left when I knew something was up. It was 98 miles to the campground and a good 85+ was highway. Fortunately, nothing bad happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3346963736.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	28717   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3340070709.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	28718  
Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Barry - I was thinking the spare is the same tire as the rest and would be able to be the new driver's side rear tire. I didn't actually look and really don't know.
On my RV the tire is the same, but the wheel is very different. I don't know about yours.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
On my RV the tire is the same, but the wheel is very different. I don't know about yours.
I believe the wheels are white on the spare. Same size tire, just not the nice aluminum rims.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Always Learning

Hmm. Sad news. I don't think I ever looked at the spare...

Ok- so there's more to this. I need to get the wheel off and take it to the tire shop. I'd have to think pretty long and hard if there's a tire shop that has a big enough parking lot for me to take the whole trailer there... Love the suburbs for all sorts of other reasons, just not its wide open spaces.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Hmm. Sad news. I don't think I ever looked at the spare...

Ok- so there's more to this. I need to get the wheel off and take it to the tire shop. I'd have to think pretty long and hard if there's a tire shop that has a big enough parking lot for me to take the whole trailer there... Love the suburbs for all sorts of other reasons, just not its wide open spaces.
I took the tire off, put the spare on (EDIT: I then took it off the leveling blocks and had both tires resting on the ground) and then took the tire with the problem to the tire shop. That way I didn't have the weight of one side of the camper sitting on one tire for too long. When I got the tire fixed, just did the same and swapped out tires. Good news, is with the spare on you can move it if you have to.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post

I took the tire off, put the spare on (EDIT: I then took it off the leveling blocks and had both tires resting on the ground) and then took the tire with the problem to the tire shop. That way I didn't have the weight of one side of the camper sitting on one tire for too long. When I got the tire fixed, just did the same and swapped out tires. Good news, is with the spare on you can move it if you have to.
Makes sense. Hopefully the Lynx blocks idea works with this EquaFlex suspension.

Guess I have a camper project this weekend...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Makes sense. Hopefully the Lynx blocks idea works with this EquaFlex suspension.

Guess I have a camper project this weekend...
Had the same suspension on my last Sabre. Worked like a champ! Good luck...I'm sure it will be a piece of cake for you.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post

Had the same suspension on my last Sabre. Worked like a champ! Good luck...I'm sure it will be a piece of cake for you.
Ha. Haha. HAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- you don't know me well enough yet, then. :-) I make easy mechanical things hard. But, if you need a computer system programmed or an online store, perhaps- that I can write from the ground up by hand.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
Always Learning

I guess let me ask a different question - am I ok to replace just this one tire? The tires are stamped June/2012 and have about 5,000-5,500 miles on them.