Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
Q: If my truck is heavier hitched to the trailer than it is by itself then where did the extra weight come from? A: From the tongue of the trailer. Bars or no bars, the tongue weight is either going to be wholy on the rear axle or partially distributed to the front. I'm not trying to argue just trying to understand what I'm missing.
When using a WDH system, some of the weight is distributed to the trailer axles. In the case of my trailer, 180 lbs. is added to the trailer axles when using the WDH.

If you are having trouble sleeping, here are some old stats in a previous setup with my trailer where 140 lbs. is moved to the trailer axles......I have since tweaked my system to the current setup.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ats-11523.html

Those weights were done at the local quarry, with a single scale platform. That is why the TV rear axle weights had to be calculated.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
When using a WDH system, some of the weight is distributed to the trailer axles. In the case of my trailer, 180 lbs. is added to the trailer axles when using the WDH.

If you are having trouble sleeping, here are some old stats in a previous setup with my trailer where 140 lbs. is moved to the trailer axles......I have since tweaked my system to the current setup.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ats-11523.html

Those weights were done at the local quarry, with a single scale platform. That is why the TV rear axle weights had to be calculated.
omg...my head hurts nice job

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #23

[QUOTE=Platokidd;564602][QUOTE=MtnGuy;564553]When using a WDH system, some of the weight is distributed to the trailer axles. In the case of my trailer, 180 lbs. is added to the trailer axles when using the WDH.
[/QUOTE

One last comment then I'll let it go. If its pushed back on the trailer axles its not really tongue weight is it?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #24

[QUOTE=indybp57;564675][QUOTE=Platokidd;564602]
Quote:
[/QUOTE

One last comment then I'll let it go. If its pushed back on the trailer axles its not really tongue weight is it?

lol well sitting still on level ground.....tw is reduced but heading down the road it's kind of all over the place depending on grade and bumps. tw is always there if that is what it weighs though,

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #25

Simple math way to get tongue weight.

Bathroom Scale

You can use a bathroom scale and a box to measure tongue weight of smaller trailers. Place the coupler of the loaded trailer on the scale at normal towing height (Figure A). For heavier tongue weights, use the second method (Figure B). Be sure to perform these measurements on a level surface and with a leveled trailer.

To use the method in Figure B, follow these guidelines:

• Always place the trailer tongue 1 foot from the pipe on the support brick
  • Multiply the reading on the scale by the total distance between the 2 support pipes
  • Use a brick that is the same thickness as the scale so that the 2 x 4 is level when you weigh your trailer

For example, if the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the scale is 2 feet and the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the support brick is 1 foot, then you would multiply the reading on the scale by 3 to get the tongue weight. If the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the scale is 3 feet and the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the support brick is 1 foot, then you would multiply the reading on the scale by 4 to get the tongue weight.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #26
Site Team

[QUOTE=indybp57;564675][QUOTE=Platokidd;564602]
Quote:
[/QUOTE

What you call tongue weight in the other post is really a false read if the wdh bars are on. Yes the bars shift the weight to the front and the trailer.
If tongue weight is not a concern keeping the front axle weight close to stock should be. I know chevy recommends the front dont squat lower then stock height when measuring with a ruler.
Have you measured?
Do you know what your tv front and rear axles weigh on the scale w/o the camper hooked up? I dont recall both axle weights of your truck only, If I miss that Im sorry.
Do you know what the front and rear axles weight is hooked up with bars on? You have that weight 2x, how close is it to stock in the front? You said your rear is over, is your front too light?

Like I said before, I like to get weighed 3 times and use the link I sent in the other post. I guess Im anal too about my weights.

Im not trying to frustrate you, just help

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=Platokidd;564725][QUOTE=indybp57;564675]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post

What you call tongue weight in the other post is really a false read if the wdh bars are on. Yes the bars shift the weight to the front and the trailer.
If tongue weight is not a concern keeping the front axle weight close to stock should be. I know chevy recommends the front dont squat lower then stock height when measuring with a ruler.
Have you measured?
Do you know what your tv front and rear axles weigh on the scale w/o the camper hooked up? I dont recall both axle weights of your truck only, If I miss that Im sorry.
Do you know what the front and rear axles weight is hooked up with bars on?

Like I said before, I like to get weighed 3 times and use the link I sent in the other post. I guess Im anal too about my weights.

Im not trying to frustrate you, just help

Yeah, I still don't really get it, but then again, I haven't been to the scales yet with my rig.

The way I see it though, provided you can get independent axle readings, you should be able to figure out most of what you need to know from two readings. Hooked up the way you tow, and without the trailer.

Make sure you're not over on:
  • Truck's FAWR
  • Truck's RAWR
  • Truck's GVWR
  • Truck's GCWR
  • Trailer's GAWR
  • Trailer's GVWR
  • Hitch's WR

All should be calculable from the two readings. With or without WDH just let's you know how much the WDH is adjusting. I don't see the need to ever measure without.

I can see the need for possible measuring different adjustments to the WDH though. Measuring when hooked up with 3 links, 2 links, 4 links, etc... to determine the affect on each of the values. This will let you know which setup provides the best distribution of weight, which is what you want. To provide the same factor against available payload of each component.

I.e., if I'm adding 15% to my truck, I want my WDH to add 15% to the front's payload and 15% to the rear's payload. Making these numbers up, let's say my front is rated at 3500 lbs, and stock it weighs 2700 lbs, then I have 800 lbs available. 15% of that I should target adding 120 lbs a front weight of 2820. Lets also say my rear is rated for 5000 lbs, and stock it weighs 3000 lbs, at a payload of 2000 lbs to be even I should target adding 300 lbs for a total of 3300 in the rear.

My understanding is this approach is what will most closely match the stock dynamics when hooked up. Of course, as I said, I haven't had the opportunity to hit a weigh station yet so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Hmm, anybody got a CAT scale they can bring to Goshen so every can get free weightings?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

One last comment then I'll let it go.
You don't have to let it go if you don't understand it yet.

Quote:
If its pushed back on the trailer axles its not really tongue weight is it?
For any given trailer loading, for the most part the tongue weight does not change. It can change slightly if the trailer tongue is lowered or raised. Using a WDH does not change the tongue weight.......it only redistributes some of the weight to the front TV axle, the trailer axle(s), and takes some weight off of the TV rear axle.

The "Adjusted Tongue Weight" in my Weight Stat link is a bit misleading, and maybe I should reword that to "Tongue Weight on TV". The tongue weight is still 680 lbs. when using the WDH, but only 560 lbs. is now on the truck. 140 lbs. is moved back to the trailer axles. Yes, I know that only 120 lbs. is taken off of the truck, and 140 lbs. is moved back to the trailer axles, but that is due to the scales being "rounded" off to 20 lb. increments.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat